That 'heart attack' moment.

Calle Roo

Reaction score
Have you or a friend had a 'heart attack' moment that you'd like to share? In advance, please do no judge or criticize or be even in the tad bit be negative to one another. We are human and often have moments of error. I've held on to mine for a few weeks because I'm beyond embarrassed that these happened to me. I even thought that I was the worse mommy and considered finding Q a new home.

Quella is out of her x-pen but I still use it as a barrier between the office and living space in my loft. I was working and heard Q squeaking for the first time ever, so I jumped up and saw she moved the gate from the desk and had her head wedged in between them. I got her out and fixed the gate and went back to work. An hour later I got up and stepped over the gate to get the TV remote and saw Q wedged in the gate again. She wasn't moving, so I thought she was a goner. I fixed the gate and used a leash to tighten it so she can't move it at all.

The next time, which was a tear jerker for me and kept me overly emotional for hours, at least. We left my townhouse and were walking along this wall, which is the only barrier to the main road and to our car. I had my hands full with her leash, a gallon of water, a bag of return items to Petsmart, my purse and Tupperware water bowl. The leash slipped out of my hand which had the gallon jug and Petsmart bag. I yelled Quella several times and she kept looking back at me and running away. I threw all of my belongings on the ground and picked up the pace. We were now 30' to the end of the wall and another 15' to the main road during rush hour. If I tried to kick off my flip flops I would either trip and fall or it'd slow me down enough that she would be out of my reach. I don't know how I did it, but I caught up to her and stepped on her leash which jerked her 2 feet and she let out a yelp. Seriously, how does a 10# dog w/4 inch legs out run a cross country runner?

And the most recent was yesterday. It was 97 degrees and I went to the lake to pick up my dad and brought Q for the ride. When we got there, I put her in her stroller to walk down the dock to the marina and figured I'd let her cool off in the sail boat office before we headed back up to the car. I left the front of her stroller open for the first time to let her get some air. I hit a bump on the dock and I watched in slow motion Q somersaulting through the air. As she started the fall, the chain that connects to the stroller stopped her fall, leaving her hanging by her neck then snapped and she fell to the ground, landing on her back. It was horrific. I picked her up and rubbed and visually inspected her body then put her back in the stroller and zipped it up for all rides going forward. We got to the sail boat office and I was pretty shaken up. I had my dad watch her and I went to the store to get a tea and calm down.

There are sevaral things that could have been prevented; however, we often don't learn from our mistakes until after they happen.

XoXo from Quella La Round and her mommy too!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
true heart attack moments for sure.... :whew:

I'll have to think about it, but so far with Cheli I do not think we had any.....

lkclark

Reaction score
Life is so fragile! And unfortunately, even 24/7 supervision can't always allay injury or tragedy...ask anyone with kids! The sound of a toddler banging their hand on pavement is one of the worst, heart-stopping sounds imaginable. All you can do is your best.

My 'heart attack' moments always occur when I hear a scuffle at the dog park. Bear likes to be around big dogs and see what they're up to, and sometimes he gets caught in the midst of fights. In those moments, sheer adrenalin+maternal instinct+protectiveness kicks in and I'm almost ashamed to say that I couldn't care less about the other dogs, but run into the middle, pluck Bear away and dart to safety.

But that's life I guess. I'm not going to forbid him going to dog parks...just like my parents didn't forbid me playing on jungle gyms or playing sports or driving a car at 16. All you can do is your best!

tonytones

Reaction score
My heart attack moment came when Chowder was in a puppy socialization class. THey had this agility/obstacle course sort of ramp set up.
Many dogs would just stare and go around the thing, but of course chowder being the fearless frenchie he is went up top and was running back and fourth. I figured okay hes 9 weeks, but he gets it. 20 mins pass, there was a siberian husky puppy that was way bigger than her that climbed up to the top of the ramp and jumped off to the ground. Chowder saw this and HAD to do exactly the same, so there he went all 4 paws off the ramp and jumped as far as he could landing straight to his chin/head. He cried and was shaken up pretty badly, but the trainer immediated picked him up and comforted him. my girlfriend yelled in terror, and i stood there thinking oh man thats it. my dog who i had for a week is dead.... hahha definately scared me.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Definitely so heart stopping moments, but unfortunately they happen. I don't have any with our Frenchies yet, but I have a couple with our English. Back when Lucy was about a year old we were out front of our house and she slipped out of her leash and took off down the road toward a busy street. I was running after her and yelling her name. Luckily right before she got to the intersection, she just stopped, turned and looked at me as to say "WHAT!!!!" Then at the same house we had a pool, and my wife was getting ready to go to work and accidentally left the back door open as she went to the garage to put stuff in her car. When she came out of the garage, she noticed the back door open then looked by the pool and saw Lucy on the other side of the pool. Lucy spotted my wife and ran to her, trying to cut across the water. She fell in and sank straight to the bottom. My wife fully clothed with two cell phones in her pockets, jumped in swam to the other side and rescued Lucy. Lucy was fine, just came up coughing and threw up once, but was fine.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Mine happened when I was walking Jake in our neighborhood and he darted after a bird and the harness he was wearing ripped! Didn't come unclipped, but completely ripped in a random spot that allowed him to escape and run into the street. He was still a pup, probably 9 mos. old and the more I continued to call him and approach him he would dart all over. He was running through the street, I literally went into the middle of the street to block oncoming cars. I eventually got him back to the sidewalk but he still would not come to me, so I ignored him and turned my back. He went to sniff the grass and I got him!
The other moment was when we were watching my daughter's Am. bulldog rescue and she attacked 5 mo. old Stella right under our noses. We could not get my daughter's dog to release poor lil Stella's neck as she was screaming. It seemed like forever. I thought I was watching our puppy being killed. Turns out she was fine. Perforated ear drum and a couple of stitches to her shoulder. So awful.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
We haven't had any of those heart attack moments with Buster, but recently did with our English Bulldog, Ruggles. My husband left the gate to our dog yard open and Ruggles got out and we didn't find him for 2 & 1/2 hours. We have 20 acres and are 1/4 mile from the road, but after searching our property we tried the road, still no Ruggles. He is friendly and would get in a car with anyone. We finally found him in our pasture grazing with the cows! He had been elsewhere, though, because we checked the cows first. I know he heard me calling him, just chose to ignore!

KimB3384

Reaction score
The other moment was when we were watching my daughter's Am. bulldog rescue and she attacked 5 mo. old Stella right under our noses. We could not get my daughter's dog to release poor lil Stella's neck as she was screaming. It seemed like forever. I thought I was watching our puppy being killed. Turns out she was fine. Perforated ear drum and a couple of stitches to her shoulder. So awful.

OMG - that was ours, too! We'd had Bisou for a month, so she was 4 months old, and it was Christmas. My parents were getting ready to head south for the winter so we went home to visit. They have a dog I can't stand - he's an obnoxious Lakeland Terrier who has never been trained - and their first meeting went terribly. Little Beezy stuck her sweet little face out to smell Satan (that's not his name, but it's what I call him - especially now) and before anyone knew what had happened, Satan had her face engulfed in his mouth. Bisou was screaming, I was screaming, my mom was screaming - oh, it was awful. I feel sick just thinking about it. My dad had to punch their dog to get it to release its grip. I don't condone that, but there was no other way because he was NOT letting go. She has a teeny tiny scar on her forehead, but was otherwise unharmed.

Glad all the pups here survived their traumas. Kind of seems like they're all fine. WE'RE the ones who were traumatized!

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
OMG - that was ours, too! We'd had Bisou for a month, so she was 4 months old, and it was Christmas. My parents were getting ready to head south for the winter so we went home to visit. They have a dog I can't stand - he's an obnoxious Lakeland Terrier who has never been trained - and their first meeting went terribly. Little Beezy stuck her sweet little face out to smell Satan (that's not his name, but it's what I call him - especially now) and before anyone knew what had happened, Satan had her face engulfed in his mouth. Bisou was screaming, I was screaming, my mom was screaming - oh, it was awful. I feel sick just thinking about it. My dad had to punch their dog to get it to release its grip. I don't condone that, but there was no other way because he was NOT letting go. She has a teeny tiny scar on her forehead, but was otherwise unharmed.

Glad all the pups here survived their traumas. Kind of seems like they're all fine. WE'RE the ones who were traumatized!

Yes exactly.
It is so awful to see a dog being attacked, let alone your little puppy. Stella pooped everywhere she was so scared! But this dog was not letting go. My husband and I were both trying to get her to release Stella. I tried pulling her back legs out from under her and nothing. He was trying to pry her mouth off of her and had her head locked in his arm so she wouldn't shake her. Then randomly she just let go. I was shaking and it took me a good 20 mins. to gather myself together.:scared:

winginit66

Reaction score
I've really enjoyed reading these. Other than Wilson's entire life - from the passive regurgitation, does he have mega-esophagus, will he live - to binge-eating a bag of food... I can't think of anything that has been a true 'heart attack' moment.

Ah, I knew there had to be something. Both Gidget and Olivia have jumped out of shopping carts and hit cement floors. They were both pretty scary. I thought Gidget had broken her jaw. I blocked Olivia's descent somehow.

Fitz

Reaction score
I had the same experience chasing Fitzy down the street. We went outside for a minute to get my brush out of the car. I live at the very end of a small dead end road so my daughter didn't bother to put pants on. I got the brush and before I knew it Fitz was running down the street like his tail was on fire. I dropped everything and chased him because the main road is busy and people fly down the street as a shortcut between two highways.

Well I couldn't catch him and he darted in the road and started running down the middle of the street. All traffic stopped as everyone watched the crazy woman with no shoes (and uncombed hair) run after her dog. Thankfully he tired out after a block and I snatched him up. I was sure I was about to witness my dog being hit by a car.

The funny(?) part - when I got back to my road I turned the corner to see my daughter standing in the middle of the street crying - still without pants. When I think about the scene that passers by witnessed I still cringe.

blushy

Reaction score
First heart attack, Isa literally choking to death on an edible teething bone she tried to swallow whole. Had to pry it out of her throat.

Second heart attack? Getting her head lodged between the doorway and the permanent baby gate.
Luckily she was small enough to slide her upwards to where the gate gets wider to get her out with no issues.

Looks like frenchies are heart attack inducing! :p

Calle Roo

Reaction score
Phew. That was close. Q only gets fruits, veggies, kibble and an occasional liver treat that is less than the size of 1/4 pea for training purposes. She has been a member of Barkbox for 5 months and all of the treats have gone to waste as I won't give them to her. I have given her one item recently. It's the Indigo Floss Treats which have a texture that she can slowly chew and break off tiny pieces. I would never give her to whole treat in one sitting and would take it away once it was smaller than a ping pong ball. I give it to her and ran upstairs to get something and ended up going back down longer than anticipated. When I got down, the treat was just less than a pint pong ball so as I approached her, she swallowed it hole. I gave her the stern 'What did you do?' only to realize she was choking. She couldn't breathe and started trying to gag with no sound or air coming out and saliva was running out of her mouth. I immediately started giving her the Heimlich and she swallowed the item. It's in a better place than it was, but now I need to keep an eye on her to ensure it makes it out as a pooty-poo. By no means was it the 'treats' fault and I'm sure they're great for other dogs, but unfortunately it's another item I won't be giving to Q.

XoXo from Quella La Roux and her mommy too!

blushy

Reaction score
Phew. That was close. Q only gets fruits, veggies, kibble and an occasional liver treat that is less than the size of 1/4 pea for training purposes. She has been a member of Barkbox for 5 months and all of the treats have gone to waste as I won't give them to her. I have given her one item recently. It's the Indigo Floss Treats which have a texture that she can slowly chew and break off tiny pieces. I would never give her to whole treat in one sitting and would take it away once it was smaller than a ping pong ball. I give it to her and ran upstairs to get something and ended up going back down longer than anticipated. When I got down, the treat was just less than a pint pong ball so as I approached her, she swallowed it hole. I gave her the stern 'What did you do?' only to realize she was choking. She couldn't breathe and started trying to gag with no sound or air coming out and saliva was running out of her mouth. I immediately started giving her the Heimlich and she swallowed the item. It's in a better place than it was, but now I need to keep an eye on her to ensure it makes it out as a pooty-poo. By no means was it the 'treats' fault and I'm sure they're great for other dogs, but unfortunately it's another item I won't be giving to Q.

XoXo from Quella La Roux and her mommy too!

I had to do the "hold them upside down" and shoved my finger down her throat which let enough air through (was no noise or breathing at all) to where she gagged it up. I just dislodged the item.

Extremely terrifying. It's like watching your child choke.

I refuse to give her anything similar to that product (I.e. Becomes slimy and slippery) now.

Glad your close call was turned around! It's petrifying. I shook for the rest of the night.

Schimpfy

Reaction score
One of those moments that I can share is chance was about 4 months and we were on a busy elevator with a poodle, our stop came and as we were getting off the poodle jumped on Chance knocking his foot in between the door and the elevator
I have never heard such a cry of pain and despair, it started 2 kids crying, the poodle owner yeIIing and apologizing and me in shock, the Lady beside me picked up Chance and smothered him with kisses thank the powers that be he was fine just scared
Funny he stiII Loves elevator rides