Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 32

Thread: How well trained is your Frenchie?

  1. #13
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Washington
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,689
    Pets Names
    Jax
    Trophies

    Re: How well trained is your Frenchie?

    Quote Originally Posted by trishkidd24 View Post
    I am a terrible pack leader.... Marg is 7 months old and all she knows how to do is sit ha.... We did the puppy classes where basically they go over introductory obedience and then the last 20 minutes let the puppies all play together (this was always my favorite part). I have gone through obedience classes with both of my males and both passed. My golden ret. would get a toy as a reward for tricks and obedience, and my pit/boxer refused to do anything unless there was a treat in my hand... I am considering enrolling marg in an actual obedience class early next year, I would like to wait till she is a little older.
    It's just hard for me to discipline her or try to train her... Ha I get easily distracted with how cute or funny she is being...
    I'm exactly the same way! They are so cute and silly that it is hard to discipline them when they are doing something naughty and not listening. I was going to enroll Jax again in the next class but he was so disruptive last time, I am thinking about a few private lessons. Jax and Marg are about the same age, 7 months. When is her birthday? Jax turns 1 on April 8.

  2. #14
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member kim's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    Canada
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    401
    Pets Names
    Piper

    Re: How well trained is your Frenchie?

    Piper is 5 months and she only knows sit and dance.

  3. #15
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member trishkidd24's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trish
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    424
    Pets Names
    Margie, Mac, Murphy, Mitten (cat) & Marcus (cat)

    Re: How well trained is your Frenchie?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cbrugs View Post
    I'm exactly the same way! They are so cute and silly that it is hard to discipline them when they are doing something naughty and not listening. I was going to enroll Jax again in the next class but he was so disruptive last time, I am thinking about a few private lessons. Jax and Marg are about the same age, 7 months. When is her birthday? Jax turns 1 on April 8.
    Marg's birthday is May 10th. Ha the older she gets I swear the more we let her get away with and we have to stop being so lenient. Like yesterday she was flying around the house jumping onto the couch, off of the couch, over the back of the couch, and then on top of the cat (cat was not pleased with this).. ha It was so funny, we were laughing hard, BUT I started thinking this isn't a good behavior, our dogs are allowed on the couch but not running all over it jumping off and attacking the cat. ha We should have stopped her but she was so cute its hard.... ha
    -- Trish and the Kidd's, Marge, Mac, and Murph

  4. #16
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Washington
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,689
    Pets Names
    Jax
    Trophies

    Re: How well trained is your Frenchie?

    Jax does the same thing with jumping on and off the couch, especially when people come over. It's so hard to calm him down when he gets in that "mood." My BF just told me the other day to stop letting Jax do whatever he wants. My response...but he's my baby and he's soooo cute and I love him!

  5. #17
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member trishkidd24's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trish
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    424
    Pets Names
    Margie, Mac, Murphy, Mitten (cat) & Marcus (cat)

    Re: How well trained is your Frenchie?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cbrugs View Post
    Jax does the same thing with jumping on and off the couch, especially when people come over. It's so hard to calm him down when he gets in that "mood." My BF just told me the other day to stop letting Jax do whatever he wants. My response...but he's my baby and he's soooo cute and I love him!
    Ha it is opposite in my house... I am the one constantly telling my husband we need to discipline more and try to stick to rules (like no dogs in the bed or on our new couch)... and he will whine.. "Hun, you cant make them sleep on the floor in their beds, that's mean"... or "One day they wont be here anymore and you will be happy we let them sleep in bed with us"... he's the big push over, which is one of my favorite thing about him
    -- Trish and the Kidd's, Marge, Mac, and Murph

  6. #18
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    mhuinker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Location
    Western North Carolina
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,782
    Pets Names
    Leo & Molly
    Trophies

    Re: How well trained is your Frenchie?

    I went into this Frenchie ownership wanting to make sure I have a well behaved dog and even thought I would take obedience classes as well, which I still might, but I have to say, they are stubborn with a capital S T U B B O R N! Which, of course, I knew, but man o man! Leo knows his name..... when he wants to know it. Sometimes he will come when I call, sometimes, yeah, not so much! Anyway, my point to this is, I'm still struggling with his peeing in his crate. It's not consistent, it's very sporadic, so I'm not sure why he is doing it. I'm hoping the old snip-snip (which happens tomorrow) will help with this issue..... just not so sure. Once I figure out how to get that habit under control, we will work on other things. I'm not the most consistent trainer either. Leo knows sit I think, unless he just happens to sit on his own because he is tired of standing, or he is actually listening to me, I don't know. I've tried to teach him shake which I thought would be the next easiest trick..... no luck yet. He is a work in progress! But I love him no matter what.
    Michelle - Asheville, NC
    Mom to Leo (5/21/2010-3/26/2019)
    Mom to Molly (DOB 8-1-09)

  7. #19
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    Julie Stevenson's Avatar
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Orange County Ca
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    750
    Pets Names
    Ollie - Frenchie, Batman - Frenchie, Tucker - Golden Retriever, Tank - Boxer

    Re: How well trained is your Frenchie?

    Quote Originally Posted by mhuinker View Post
    I went into this Frenchie ownership wanting to make sure I have a well behaved dog and even thought I would take obedience classes as well, which I still might, but I have to say, they are stubborn with a capital S T U B B O R N! Which, of course, I knew, but man o man! Leo knows his name..... when he wants to know it. Sometimes he will come when I call, sometimes, yeah, not so much! Anyway, my point to this is, I'm still struggling with his peeing in his crate. It's not consistent, it's very sporadic, so I'm not sure why he is doing it. I'm hoping the old snip-snip (which happens tomorrow) will help with this issue..... just not so sure. Once I figure out how to get that habit under control, we will work on other things. I'm not the most consistent trainer either. Leo knows sit I think, unless he just happens to sit on his own because he is tired of standing, or he is actually listening to me, I don't know. I've tried to teach him shake which I thought would be the next easiest trick..... no luck yet. He is a work in progress! But I love him no matter what.
    Sometime neutering them does help. How old is Leo again? I'm sure you have told me or I have read it, but my memory sucks! LOL When he does pee in the crate how long has he been in there? Could it be he just can't hold it anymore or maybe he didn't pee before he went in the crate? Ollie peed and pooped in the crate as a puppy and would only cry AFTER he made a mess....like hey I'm in here with my MESS COME CLEAN THIS UP. I used to get so frustrated with him. He was not supposed to pee or poop where he sleeps. But put him on the bed and that all stopped. WEIRD....My boy is strange, but I'm happier with him in bed with me for sure. He's a cuddle bug, after WILD MAN TIME is complete. WE have a routine where as soon as we get into bed he wants to play and play rough! The hubby plays hard with him and likes to smack him in the face, but I keep yelling at him cut that out! Get his toy and play with him, don't teach him to bite your hands dork! My man doesen't always get it.....
    Julie


  8. #20
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Washington
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,689
    Pets Names
    Jax
    Trophies

    Re: How well trained is your Frenchie?

    Quote Originally Posted by trishkidd24 View Post
    Ha it is opposite in my house... I am the one constantly telling my husband we need to discipline more and try to stick to rules (like no dogs in the bed or on our new couch)... and he will whine.. "Hun, you cant make them sleep on the floor in their beds, that's mean"... or "One day they wont be here anymore and you will be happy we let them sleep in bed with us"... he's the big push over, which is one of my favorite thing about him
    We were all for not letting Jax on the bed or couch but that didn't last long at all! He has been sleeping in the bed with us since the end of August and if he is napping in the living room, he is on the couch. I LOVE sleeping and cuddling with him though cause he is such a love bug!

  9. #21
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Washington
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,689
    Pets Names
    Jax
    Trophies

    Re: How well trained is your Frenchie?

    Quote Originally Posted by mhuinker View Post
    I went into this Frenchie ownership wanting to make sure I have a well behaved dog and even thought I would take obedience classes as well, which I still might, but I have to say, they are stubborn with a capital S T U B B O R N! Which, of course, I knew, but man o man! Leo knows his name..... when he wants to know it. Sometimes he will come when I call, sometimes, yeah, not so much! Anyway, my point to this is, I'm still struggling with his peeing in his crate. It's not consistent, it's very sporadic, so I'm not sure why he is doing it. I'm hoping the old snip-snip (which happens tomorrow) will help with this issue..... just not so sure. Once I figure out how to get that habit under control, we will work on other things. I'm not the most consistent trainer either. Leo knows sit I think, unless he just happens to sit on his own because he is tired of standing, or he is actually listening to me, I don't know. I've tried to teach him shake which I thought would be the next easiest trick..... no luck yet. He is a work in progress! But I love him no matter what.
    So funny you say he knows his name when he wants to. Jax is the same way. At the beginning, I actually started thinking that he was deaf because I would be saying his name loudly and he would ignore me like he didn't hear anything. And that was exactly what he was doing...ignoring me! I knew this breed was known for being stubborn but man, they are BEYOND stubborn.

  10. #22
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member trishkidd24's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trish
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    424
    Pets Names
    Margie, Mac, Murphy, Mitten (cat) & Marcus (cat)

    Re: How well trained is your Frenchie?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cbrugs View Post
    We were all for not letting Jax on the bed or couch but that didn't last long at all! He has been sleeping in the bed with us since the end of August and if he is napping in the living room, he is on the couch. I LOVE sleeping and cuddling with him though cause he is such a love bug!
    Ha yes, all 3 of our dogs (which is a combined weight of 150 pounds of dog) all sleep in bed with us. It wasn't bad with one dog, then we had two and it was alright, now with three dogs and a husband ha I have no room! LOL But I love them all, and when my husband works midnight shift, they all keep me company in bed. I really don't think I would ever be able to enforce the "no dogs on the furniture" rule.. even though it would be nice to not have dog hair on everything I own ha.
    -- Trish and the Kidd's, Marge, Mac, and Murph

  11. #23
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    Julie Stevenson's Avatar
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Orange County Ca
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    750
    Pets Names
    Ollie - Frenchie, Batman - Frenchie, Tucker - Golden Retriever, Tank - Boxer

    Re: How well trained is your Frenchie?

    Quote Originally Posted by trishkidd24 View Post
    Ha yes, all 3 of our dogs (which is a combined weight of 150 pounds of dog) all sleep in bed with us. It wasn't bad with one dog, then we had two and it was alright, now with three dogs and a husband ha I have no room! LOL But I love them all, and when my husband works midnight shift, they all keep me company in bed. I really don't think I would ever be able to enforce the "no dogs on the furniture" rule.. even though it would be nice to not have dog hair on everything I own ha.
    I had the hair problem too until I invested in leather couch.
    Julie


  12. #24
    Senior Member Become a 4 Paw Member
    Cbrugs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Washington
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,689
    Pets Names
    Jax
    Trophies

    Re: How well trained is your Frenchie?

    Quote Originally Posted by trishkidd24 View Post
    Ha yes, all 3 of our dogs (which is a combined weight of 150 pounds of dog) all sleep in bed with us. It wasn't bad with one dog, then we had two and it was alright, now with three dogs and a husband ha I have no room! LOL But I love them all, and when my husband works midnight shift, they all keep me company in bed. I really don't think I would ever be able to enforce the "no dogs on the furniture" rule.. even though it would be nice to not have dog hair on everything I own ha.
    I hope you have a big bed! We have a king size bed and we joke that we need a twin size to push up to ours just for Jax. I sleep on the right side and Jax loves to sleep to the right of me so I get stuck in the middle, laying sideways with no blankets sometimes cause Jax is comfortable and I don't want to disturb him...ha ha...how bad is that? He also loves to use my pillows too. But I wouldn't have it any other way!

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •