10 week old puppy with thin/coarse, patchy coat

Romeosmom

Reaction score
Hi! Hoping someone can help. My Frenchie puppy looks like he has a bald spot forming on the top of his head. The rest of his coat looks patchy and feels coarse. The breeder said a coarse coat is normal for Sables, but overall it looks very thin. The thinning/patchiness is only on his head & body.. coat on his legs looks normal and dense. In the sun it looks like his bare skin is showing.

His coat from weeks 1-6 was normal but began to look thin by 7 weeks. Breeder was feeding him Purina Pro Plan puppy lamb & rice and I've kept him on that for the past 9 days. He'll be 10 weeks old this Tuesday. Going to transition to Farmina Lamb & Ancient grains (oats & spelt). I've started giving him freeze-dried duck toppers with his kibble (from small batch dog food), freeze-dried lamb treats (from sojos), a skin/coat multi vitamin (from natural dog company) and looking into coconut oil on top of his food too.

Is this food related or puppy stage? Attached photos of him being held are from 2 & 6 weeks.. the rest are between 9-10 weeks.

Advice and guidance is appreciated! I love the little guy so much already.

Attachments

• IMG_3809.JPG
    IMG_3809.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3988.JPG
    IMG_3988.JPG
    892.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4095.PNG
    IMG_4095.PNG
    481.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4190 copy.jpg
    IMG_4190 copy.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4138 copy.jpg
    IMG_4138 copy.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4097 copy.jpg
    IMG_4097 copy.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Resized952021112095141735.JPG
    Resized952021112095141735.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 45

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
What a cutie! It can certainly be food related as Purina is not a very good. I’ve heard Farmina is a good brand. At that age they also have a weaker immune system so if he has little bald patches, it could be mange or staph. You can have your vet do a scrape to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Romeosmom

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! We saw the vet for a skin scraping to check for “creepy crawlies” as she called it and she didn’t find anything. Did a fecal test as well and he came back positive for giardia antigens so he had it before at some point but doesn’t anymore. Not sure if that will cause lingering affects on his coat?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I would look to change food and avoid chicken if possible.

Welcome to FBN. He is adorable

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! We saw the vet for a skin scraping to check for “creepy crawlies” as she called it and she didn’t find anything. Did a fecal test as well and he came back positive for giardia antigens so he had it before at some point but doesn’t anymore. Not sure if that will cause lingering affects on his coat?

Hopefully you notice a difference with the good change. You can also add a probiotic in.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Great advice given already...scrape for mange or staph, then move to food if those aren't the culprit. Avoid chicken. Probiotic to balance the gut.