5 month old frenchie having not potty trained

lg43

Reaction score
Hello! I have a 5 month old male who I am struggling to potty train effectively. I always praise and give him a treat when he goes potty outside, but he has multiple accidents inside during the day. I try to pick him up and rush him outside and he is not learning. What can I do to fix this? Any tips would be so helpful, thank you!!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hello! I have a 5 month old male who I am struggling to potty train effectively. I always praise and give him a treat when he goes potty outside, but he has multiple accidents inside during the day. I try to pick him up and rush him outside and he is not learning. What can I do to fix this? Any tips would be so helpful, thank you!!

Do you have a doggy bell to hang on the door?? That’s really helpful for some dogs, to train him to use that, I would let them touch the bell with the nose or paw and make sure the bell rings, and then say “do you need to potty” or what you use for potty commands, i tell Rusty my frenchie, “go pee” which he was taught to go on command i case we are out for the day and he is with us, then I tell him to go pee and he goes immediately 99% of the time.

But when training lots of people say “go potty” and then when they go immediately say “yay good potty” and get excited and give a very good treat that they like(Rusty loves beef liver! It makes a great training treat).

Consistency is the key, and if you can watch him to have an idea of when he needs to go potty outside, that helps to know if he needs outside immediately after eating or drinking and also immediately after sleeping and play, but maybe he needs outside every 2 hours, then every 2 hours set the alarm to take him outside and don’t let him in unless he has done everything.

Yes Frenchies can be very stubborn to house train, but it will be worth it once they are house trained.
Rusty was stubborn too to potty train, but it took a total of 2-3 months since we got him until he was fully house trained.
They also don’t like the rain or cold weather either which doesn’t help for potty training.

Does he have accidents in the middle of the night? I had a tray with fake grass and underneath it was pee pad, it was in his X pen area that was around his crate bed, so in the middle of the night he would sleep in the crate which he could also walk around in the X pen area to potty on his fake grass tray. It’s a temporary thing that helps get them used to seeing grass and potty on it which then makes them go more on the grass outside, Then when Rusty didn’t need the tray anymore I took it away when he didn’t need to potty in the middle of the night.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Patience... they are still very young. My bulldogs ll took about 8-9 months, but my frenchie was two full years.
Schedule is key... take out immediate upon waking in morning and after naps They can only hold for one hour more than they are months old.. so5 months is 6 hours. Take out 20-30 mins after eating and immediatley after a play session. praise and treat when they do go outside.