Adding wild game to food

Brainrad22

Reaction score
I am a hunter and always have extra wild game, mostly deer. Is it a good idea to to mix in with kibble for a young puppy? I would probably just bake it and mix in. I bring my puppy home in about 3 weeks and figuring out best diet for him.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I am a hunter and always have extra wild game, mostly deer. Is it a good idea to to mix in with kibble for a young puppy? I would probably just bake it and mix in. I bring my puppy home in about 3 weeks and figuring out best diet for him.

The best diet for a dog, is the raw diet cause the high moisture content and it’s low in carbs.

Also there is a low carb gently cooked option called Raised Right gently cooked dog food. If raw isn’t a option.

This doesn’t mean use only deer meat from your hunting or buy meat from grocery store cause that’s not balanced.
A premade raw diet is best, has to have meat, organs, bone and a little veg which is optional(no more than 10% veg- vegetables are NOT needed, just optional).
And rotate proteins as much as possible to prevent new food allergies, and other health issues.

So for example rotate thru Fish, Turkey, Duck, Beef, Lamb, and deer(if you want to add it from the hunting). The more variety the better.

If you want to feed kibble for convenience, these brands are best:

-Carna 4- comes in goat, venison, lamb, Duck, Fish and chicken for proteins.

Carna 4 is oven Baked.

-Natures Logic - comes in Sardine, Beef, Red Meat, Land+Sea(beef and fish), turkey, Lamb, Rabbit, chicken, pork for proteins.
I think they have venison protein too. They make a canned food as well.

Natures Logic is the lowest in carbs and No legumes or potatoes which is very good.

Both Natures Logic and Carna 4 has probiotics in it and is whole food based and no synthetic vitamins/minerals needed.
They both are the most premium kibbles there is.

If you choose to stick with kibble try the premium ones I mentioned(Carna 4 or Natures Logic), and if you want to add the deer meat, you can cook it an add it as the topper to the kibble if you want to mix the kibble and deer meat together.

Getting the puppy on premium food as soon as possible while he is a puppy is the best thing you can do to prevent health issues and keeping him in good health.

What is your puppy coming home on for food/what is the breeder feeding the puppies?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Great info posted from Rusty's owners..... you can absolutely add the venison to your pups diet you could even use it as a treat or as a full meal, but it is always best to rotation proteins to help lessen allergens.

Brainrad22

Reaction score
The best diet for a dog, is the raw diet cause the high moisture content and it’s low in carbs.

Also there is a low carb gently cooked option called Raised Right gently cooked dog food. If raw isn’t a option.

This doesn’t mean use only deer meat from your hunting or buy meat from grocery store cause that’s not balanced.
A premade raw diet is best, has to have meat, organs, bone and a little veg which is optional(no more than 10% veg- vegetables are NOT needed, just optional).
And rotate proteins as much as possible to prevent new food allergies, and other health issues.

So for example rotate thru Fish, Turkey, Duck, Beef, Lamb, and deer(if you want to add it from the hunting). The more variety the better.

If you want to feed kibble for convenience, these brands are best:

-Carna 4- comes in goat, venison, lamb, Duck, Fish and chicken for proteins.

Carna 4 is oven Baked.

-Natures Logic - comes in Sardine, Beef, Red Meat, Land+Sea(beef and fish), turkey, Lamb, Rabbit, chicken, pork for proteins.
I think they have venison protein too. They make a canned food as well.

Natures Logic is the lowest in carbs and No legumes or potatoes which is very good.

Both Natures Logic and Carna 4 has probiotics in it and is whole food based and no synthetic vitamins/minerals needed.
They both are the most premium kibbles there is.

If you choose to stick with kibble try the premium ones I mentioned(Carna 4 or Natures Logic), and if you want to add the deer meat, you can cook it an add it as the topper to the kibble if you want to mix the kibble and deer meat together.

Getting the puppy on premium food as soon as possible while he is a puppy is the best thing you can do to prevent health issues and keeping him in good health.

What is your puppy coming home on for food/what is the breeder feeding the puppies?

The puppy is being fed Royal Canin. Thoughts on that brand? I had previously used it on my last frenchy as well as Acana, and taste of the wild.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
The puppy is being fed Royal Canin. Thoughts on that brand? I had previously used it on my last frenchy as well as Acana, and taste of the wild.
Definitely AVOID, Royal Canin is garbage/crap food all fillers and garbage, can cause way too many health issues. Corn in it too, horrible food.

That’s what caused my dogs kidney disease when they were pups they were fed that.

Avoid the following brands:
-Royal Canin
-Hills
-Science diet
-Purina
-vet food and grocery store food.
-Eukanuba

Brainrad22

Reaction score
Definitely AVOID, Royal Canin is garbage/crap food all fillers and garbage, can cause way too many health issues. Corn in it too, horrible food.

That’s what caused my dogs kidney disease when they were pups they were fed that.

Avoid the following brands:
-Royal Canin
-Hills
-Science diet
-Purina
-vet food and grocery store food.
-Eukanuba
Gonna go with carna4.

Thanks!