ADVICE NEEDED - Back Leg Issues

emilykbutler

Reaction score
Hi everybody - looking for a little advice (sorry in advance for the long post). Chunk is my almost 3 year old boy. At the beginning of this year I took him to the vet because he was shaking in pain and not wanting to walk, and I was told that he has 2 compressed discs in his spine. I got a ramp and stopped letting him jump on and off of the bed and couch and he seemed to get better for a few months. Recently, his back right leg has been causing some problems. He doesn't put his full weight on his leg if he doesn't have to, and the muscles are starting to atrophy a little bit. It didn't appear to cause any pain and wasn't too bad for the first week or so, but this week he's been limping on it and putting almost no weight at all on it. He's been leaning far over to the left and his balance is incredibly off because he doesn't want to put pressure on that leg.

I just took him to a canine orthopedic doctor to see if it was a luxating patella or maybe some kind of hip issue, and he didn't see anything that would be causing it on the X-rays, and that he couldn't feel his knee pop in and out, and that it's likely a result of his back issues. He prescribed some pain meds and an anti-inflammatory with rest for 10 days, and if nothing gets better he'll have to get a CT or MRI to determine if it's a bone issue or a neurological issue.

I've seen some posts about chiropractors or acupuncture helping with these issues in some cases, and I want to see if anyone has experience with this.

Any advice or suggestions that anyone has if they've gone through this with their pups before would be helpful. I hate not being able to play with my sweet little man or take him out for walks.

IMG_0554.jpeg

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Hello - I don't have experience with this, but wanted to say your boy is so handsome. Hopefully others that have dealt with spine issues will be able to chime in soon. Good luck. Well wishes coming your way!

Jeffc

Reaction score
He is beautiful. Hopefully he will make a full recovery.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
[MENTION=188]Cbrugs[/MENTION]

my guys has issues, but not this severe, we use laser therapy and turmeric paste to help. Citty boy, Jax, has IvDD and you may have the same situation

blushy

Reaction score
Our girl went down this year suddenly...

Personally I’d recommend cutting NSAIDs entirely and do a round of steroids...
There’s a wait period between NSAIDs & steroid use, so consult your vet for sure.

Also add muscle relaxers.

We got her from completely paralyzed, to able to walk on her own again (wonky and crazy sometimes but she’s up!)

We also did laser therapy (which we’re going to continue).

Our boy has back issues similar to what yours started as and I definitely can tell it’s caused nerve damage in one of his back paws (sensitivity like pulling his paw away if I’m doing his nails which he never did before.)

Good luck & good healing vibes to your little cutie pie! ❤️

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, Jax was diagnosed with IVDD in 2017 and has had 3 surgeries since. The best way to confidently diagnose an issue is through an MRI. And usually time is of the essence. I would do strict crate with meds for 8 weeks and if still issues, go see a neurologist. If he gets worse, I would see the neurologist sooner.

Jax gets acupuncture and laser therapy as maintenance.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
I agree to make an appointment with a neurologist for an MRI sooner than later. Stella has had two spinal surgeries.

Jeffc

Reaction score
Our boy woke this morning and was not able to use his back legs. The only hospital with a MRI is 4 hours away and the area has received heavy snow. We have him at our local vet now, but he really can’t do anything except for prescribe him steroids. We are going to put him on crate rest and try to make it to the state hospital with the MRI tomorrow. Any have any additional advice?

Jeffc

Reaction score
Update: our boy is able use his legs again after being prescribed steroids and muscle relaxers. Our vet thinks it’s his knees are the issue. My wife and I believe it’s his spine. I made a appointment with our state animal hospital for him to see a orthopedic doctor, but they can’t see him until May 3rd. We are going to keep him crated and make him rest as much as possible between now and then. Any additional advice is appreciated.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Our boy woke this morning and was not able to use his back legs. The only hospital with a MRI is 4 hours away and the area has received heavy snow. We have him at our local vet now, but he really can’t do anything except for prescribe him steroids. We are going to put him on crate rest and try to make it to the state hospital with the MRI tomorrow. Any have any additional advice?
Sorry to be reading this! Has he had any previous issues or is this the first time? It sounds like it could very well be IVDD. Your best bet is to get him into a neurologist and get an MRI done and time is usually of the essence. For now, strict crate rest and only out to potty and eat.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Update: our boy is able use his legs again after being prescribed steroids and muscle relaxers. Our vet thinks it’s his knees are the issue. My wife and I believe it’s his spine. I made a appointment with our state animal hospital for him to see a orthopedic doctor, but they can’t see him until May 3rd. We are going to keep him crated and make him rest as much as possible between now and then. Any additional advice is appreciated.
I just responded but it does sound like his spine/discs. A neurologist would be better at diagnosing IVDD. Stick to the strict crate rest and meds as sometimes that can be enough.

Jeffc

Reaction score
Sorry to be reading this! Has he had any previous issues or is this the first time? It sounds like it could very well be IVDD. Your best bet is to get him into a neurologist and get an MRI done and time is usually of the essence. For now, strict crate rest and only out to potty and eat.
Thanks for the well wishes and your reply. He had a episode back in September of last year. What is disheartening is we do everything possible to make sure he doesn’t have these issues. We feed them top quality food, he takes daily vitamins we don’t let jump, stairs etc. We don’t even let go outside without being on harness and leash.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the well wishes and your reply. He had a episode back in September of last year. What is disheartening is we do everything possible to make sure he doesn’t have these issues. We feed them top quality food, he takes daily vitamins we don’t let jump, stairs etc. We don’t even let go outside without being on harness and leash.

Jax will be 9 in April and he had his first cervical surgery in July 2017, second cervical surgery just less than a year later and actually had to have a third surgery one week later (but that was on the same discs as the 2nd and a whole other story). Fast forward to January 2022, 3 years later, and he had his first lumbar surgery. Thankfully, he has never lost mobility. We try to limit his jumping as much as possible, carry him up and down the stairs, he gets CBD oil, turmeric paste, GLM powder, fed raw, etc. but unfortunately, with IVDD, you can do all this stuff to try to limit further issues but at the end of the day, if it's going to happen, it's going to happen no matter what. Basically, the cushions between the discs dry up and there is no repairing them.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score

I’m so sorry to hear he is going thru this!
I really hope he starts getting better soon!

Omega 3 oil or CBD oil can be helpful for the inflammation and pain.

Keep us updated!

Jeffc

Reaction score
Does anyone know if insurance company’s typically cover IVDD surgery if it is deemed necessary? We do have insurance.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Does anyone know if insurance company’s typically cover IVDD surgery if it is deemed necessary? We do have insurance.

I am not sure about all pet insurances, I have Petsecure and for most conditions as long as it’s not a pre existing condition they will cover it.
When Rusty needed soft palate surgery I had to call the pet insurance and get a pre approval for the condition which they needed to ask a couple questions and when the condition first started.
I had to do the same thing for pre approval for seeing a dermatologist and doing allergy testing.

What pet insurance do you have??

Jeffc

Reaction score
I am not sure about all pet insurances, I have Petsecure and for most conditions as long as it’s not a pre existing condition they will cover it.
When Rusty needed soft palate surgery I had to call the pet insurance and get a pre approval for the condition which they needed to ask a couple questions and when the condition first started.
I had to do the same thing for pre approval for seeing a dermatologist and doing allergy testing.

What pet insurance do you have??
It’s Fetch formally Pet Plan.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
It’s Fetch formally Pet Plan.

I have never heard of that company before. I recommend to call and ask if you can get a pre approval or if it’s not needed just ask if they cover it.

At least that way you know whether they cover it or not and how much of it they will cover.
Cause some also might not cover neurology or any special vet care other than regular vet.
How old is your Frenchie?? Just curious cause the plans and coverage also change with age.