All you all with puppies - how did you do it!?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you! I've learned a lot already and things are coming along. He is much more manageable now than the days after we had just gotten him.
First few weeks are always a ‘treat’!! Lol

Mavis

Reaction score
First few weeks are always a ‘treat’!! Lol
Those first several days were hell! :LOL: OMG, he was so bad - although obviously he had no clue. He was crated his entire life from when he was born to until we got him, so he didn't learn boundaries from other puppies or from the breeders. Thankfully, we don't have to fight with him when we put him in his crate. He has come so far. It's amazing!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I think I will try this for one month. Seems like the cost is approx. $159/mo. Based on Bambi's severe allergies, which they were never able to do much for in spite of vet visits, medication, and premium food - I would like to avoid all of those issues if possible. Seems like already Jelly may develop a problem with his ears and occasionally he will chew at his legs/paws (have only had him a little over a week).

He's eleven weeks old today. Making good strides. He falls asleep on my lap now in the morning after he gets up and plays for a bit and while I have my coffee. He can go long periods of self entertaining or playing strenuously (but nicely) with Petey, instead of requiring my undivided attention. Eating like a champ. Doing pretty well on potty training. If he doesn't dally when he goes out and pees right away, I let him in immediately so he knows he can get back inside where it's warm as soon as he pees.

That’s great your gonna give it a try for a month. He could be allergic to the corn and chicken in his current food, can be causing those allergy symptoms like chewing/biting and dirty ears.
The Raised right food should make a difference and you should notice improvement within 1 month as the allergy symptoms haven’t been going on for very long, and hopefully the allergy symptoms don’t come back and if it’s just the corn and chicken there shouldn’t be any issues as long as your not getting him the chicken raised right formula and using the other protein options!
The new food will improve his immune system, I know that it’s proven that low carb/starch grain free foods prevent many health issues(including inflammatory conditions) and also allergies too in dogs.
Unless it’s absolutely needed try to only clean his ears once a week once they are better/not as dirty as they can rely on cleaning every other day.

When my other dogs were puppies, they came home on a very similar food(eukanuba which is basically the same ingredients as Purina and hills and Royal canin), they developed allergies to the chicken and corn and grains(itching blots, chewing paws, yeasty ears and other issues), but since the potential allergies just started, I think the raised right food will be enough to boost the immune system and get rid of those symptoms and prevent new health issues from happening!
If you don’t end up staying on Raised Right after 1 month then I can give some kibble recommendations for you and list some brands. But the best option for him is low carb, high moisture grain free food without synthetic vitamins.

That’s awesome, sounds like he is making good progress and getting into a routine!

Let me know how he likes the new food, and how his allergies symptoms are with the new food!
I’m happy to help.

Keep us updated!

Mavis

Reaction score
That’s great your gonna give it a try for a month. He could be allergic to the corn and chicken in his current food, can be causing those allergy symptoms like chewing/biting and dirty ears.
The Raised right food should make a difference and you should notice improvement within 1 month as the allergy symptoms haven’t been going on for very long, and hopefully the allergy symptoms don’t come back and if it’s just the corn and chicken there shouldn’t be any issues as long as your not getting him the chicken raised right formula and using the other protein options!
The new food will improve his immune system, I know that it’s proven that low carb/starch grain free foods prevent many health issues(including inflammatory conditions) and also allergies too in dogs.
Unless it’s absolutely needed try to only clean his ears once a week once they are better/not as dirty as they can rely on cleaning every other day.

When my other dogs were puppies, they came home on a very similar food(eukanuba which is basically the same ingredients as Purina and hills and Royal canin), they developed allergies to the chicken and corn and grains(itching blots, chewing paws, yeasty ears and other issues), but since the potential allergies just started, I think the raised right food will be enough to boost the immune system and get rid of those symptoms and prevent new health issues from happening!
If you don’t end up staying on Raised Right after 1 month then I can give some kibble recommendations for you and list some brands. But the best option for him is low carb, high moisture grain free food without synthetic vitamins.

That’s awesome, sounds like he is making good progress and getting into a routine!

Let me know how he likes the new food, and how his allergies symptoms are with the new food!
I’m happy to help.

Keep us updated!
Thank you! Can you recommend a good kibble, if we decide to do a half and half mixture with the Raised Right? Also, I'm curious why ear cleaning should only be once a week? I had no idea. Should we be bathing him occasionally (he doesn't seem dirty at all or having skin issues). We were feeding Bambi Brother's Complete Lamb Meal and Egg Formula Advanced Allergy Grain Free Dry Dog Food. When Bambi was here, we would supplement her and Petey's meals with a little Dave's Pet Food Restricted Bland Diet Lamb and Rice (I know that's a carb! :()Formula Canned Dog Food mixed in with the kibble to make it more palatable.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Thank you! Can you recommend a good kibble, if we decide to do a half and half mixture with the Raised Right? Also, I'm curious why ear cleaning should only be once a week? I had no idea. Should we be bathing him occasionally (he doesn't seem dirty at all or having skin issues). We were feeding Bambi Brother's Complete Lamb Meal and Egg Formula Advanced Allergy Grain Free Dry Dog Food. When Bambi was here, we would supplement her and Petey's meals with a little Dave's Pet Food Restricted Bland Diet Lamb and Rice (I know that's a carb! :()Formula Canned Dog Food mixed in with the kibble to make it more palatable.

Definitely!

For the ear cleaning, if it’s done every other day or so when it’s not actually dirty the ears will rely on you to clean them causing more itchy to them if they get a little dirty.
Rusty sees a vet dermatologist and we were told that there too, once or twice a week is good as maintenance but once a week should be fine(unless he has a bad ear infection or they are making Jelly very itchy and uncomfortable).
If you want to bath him to get him used to it that is good, once a month at most since he doesn’t have skin issues. If he gets environmental allergies you will need to do it more often but since he isn’t itchy that’s ok to do it once a month.

It’s good to remember though that kibbles are higher in carbs as that’s what holds kibble together.

Good kibbles are;
-Carna 4(this is the highest quality kibble without synthetic vitamins) and comes in venison, goat, lamb, fish ,duck and chicken. It has prebiotics and probiotics in it from the sprouted seeds. Whole food based but it’s actually oven baked nuggets.

-Orijen(their formulas are around 20% carb max which is great) similar to Acana but this is much lower in carbs and has less legumes.

-natures logic(no synthetic vitamins, but has added pre and probiotics which is the last half of the ingredients list).

-Fromm is good too but it’s higher in carbs and has more legumes than I would recommend.

-zignature is good too but same thing as Fromm-higher in carbs and has lots of legumes.

The top 3 brands I listed are the highest quality kibbles you can find, I would choose between the Carna4 and Orijen formulas as the orijen is much lower in carbs then if you decide after a month of Raised Right food, you want to do 1/2 Orijen or Carna4 then the other 1/2 is Raised Right that’s a good plan since he is getting 1/2 of raised Right still.
Still definitely try to rotate proteins as it’s helps prevent food allergies.

Raw is another option but if your doing Raised Right and wanting to do 1/2 kibble after a month of Raised Right then I would keep him on Raised Right and after a month, do 1/2 kibble and 1/2 Raised Right so he isn’t in constant dehydration from dry food. The Raised Right will prevent dehydration.

Keep us updated on Jelly and his diet!

Mavis

Reaction score
Definitely!

For the ear cleaning, if it’s done every other day or so when it’s not actually dirty the ears will rely on you to clean them causing more itchy to them if they get a little dirty.
Rusty sees a vet dermatologist and we were told that there too, once or twice a week is good as maintenance but once a week should be fine(unless he has a bad ear infection or they are making Jelly very itchy and uncomfortable).
If you want to bath him to get him used to it that is good, once a month at most since he doesn’t have skin issues. If he gets environmental allergies you will need to do it more often but since he isn’t itchy that’s ok to do it once a month.

It’s good to remember though that kibbles are higher in carbs as that’s what holds kibble together.

Good kibbles are;
-Carna 4(this is the highest quality kibble without synthetic vitamins) and comes in venison, goat, lamb, fish ,duck and chicken. It has prebiotics and probiotics in it from the sprouted seeds. Whole food based but it’s actually oven baked nuggets.

-Orijen(their formulas are around 20% carb max which is great) similar to Acana but this is much lower in carbs and has less legumes.

-natures logic(no synthetic vitamins, but has added pre and probiotics which is the last half of the ingredients list).

-Fromm is good too but it’s higher in carbs and has more legumes than I would recommend.

-zignature is good too but same thing as Fromm-higher in carbs and has lots of legumes.

The top 3 brands I listed are the highest quality kibbles you can find, I would choose between the Carna4 and Orijen formulas as the orijen is much lower in carbs then if you decide after a month of Raised Right food, you want to do 1/2 Orijen or Carna4 then the other 1/2 is Raised Right that’s a good plan since he is getting 1/2 of raised Right still.
Still definitely try to rotate proteins as it’s helps prevent food allergies.

Raw is another option but if your doing Raised Right and wanting to do 1/2 kibble after a month of Raised Right then I would keep him on Raised Right and after a month, do 1/2 kibble and 1/2 Raised Right so he isn’t in constant dehydration from dry food. The Raised Right will prevent dehydration.

Keep us updated on Jelly and his diet!
Thank you! Over the years, we have used many different brands of foods, looking for one that Bambi didn't react to. Orijen and Acana were two of them. So you think I should try the Raised Right by itself at first?

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Thank you! Over the years, we have used many different brands of foods, looking for one that Bambi didn't react to. Orijen and Acana were two of them. So you think I should try the Raised Right by itself at first?

Yes definitely try Raised Right first by itself for a month and if you want to continue with Just Raised Right, that would be ideal.
But after 1 month on only raised right, and you want to try a kibble, I recommend Orijen as it’s the only kibble that has 20% or less carbs total. And do only 1/2 kibble and 1/2 Raised Right.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Finding the right food for you pet is a science project, pick a brand and start with single protein usually turkey or duck is best first option

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Finding the right food for you pet is a science project, pick a brand and start with single protein usually turkey or duck is best first option

Yes definitely start with 1 protein but eventually rotate proteins to prevent food allergies.
Start 1 at a time then add 1 more to the rotate thru and so on. That prevents food allergies from developing.