Allergy Related Ear Infections

Reaction score
Everyday is a learning experience for me. We live in Utah and didn't have much of a winter this year so Sarge has had a couple of environmental allergy issues. Several weeks ago we had a hot spot erupt that was like nothing he's ever had. We got through that but not without learning some new things about the drugs they give. Monday night he was fine and watched TV on my husband's lap, just like every night, but when we went to bed he refused to come to bed. He has a bed in every room so after coaxing him I just told him to find a spot and keep quiet. I get up early and at 5 when my alarm went off no Sarge and I had trouble finding him. He was hiding in the living room buy my husband's chair and wouldn't look at me. Hiding is a sign of pain so I started probing and couldn't find anything. He will NOT allow you near his butt so I can't take a temp on him. He refused food and water and wouldn't come in my office where he sleeps all day in a bed while I work so I called the vet when they opened and made an appointment. I am so busy at work but in between each crisis I would think about his symptoms and what they could mean and thought those damn antlers, he's broken a tooth. I went to examine his mouth and when I got to the left side he nailed me good, I thought I'd need sutures. Convinced it was a broken tooth with an exposed root I took him to his appointment at the vet an imagine the look on my face when they told me he had an ear infection. It was his left ear which explains why he didn't want me touching the left side of his mouth. I couldn't believe it happened but they told me the ear was clean and it didn't appear to be bacterial but emphasized he was "an allergy" dog and he had a reaction to something that caused the swelling and now the canal is closed off and causing extreme pain. The only thing I have changed for him is his food. I started Acana. They told me it may or may not be the problem. Sarge is on Apoquel and Benedryl and has allergy injections Bi-weekly for almost 18 mos. He has done so well and never had an ear infection and only that one hotspot that I was unable to treat myself. He's in so much pain and I am beside myself about it. We are giving an oral antibiotic as a precaution since the closed off canal is warm and moist and a perfect breeding ground for bacteria and fungus and a topical ear solution with triple action of an anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial solution given QD. Wondering if anyone else has had a dog with an ear infection and what I might expect as far as how long it takes to clear up. Even my husband had tears in his eyes as he held him today. So small, so innocent and so hurting. I'd do anything for him. It's worse for me than having a sick child (which I had) because he can't speak to me nor understand me.

eeturk

Reaction score
Hudson has recurring ear infections. We buy a product on Amazon for dog ear infections that has hydrocortisone in it and that seems to help a lot with the pain. He HATES having it put in but he always feels much better after. It's called zymox, maybe it would help him. As far as timing, for us it's always different :/. Sometimes they clear up quick and sometimes they drag on and on. I'm so sorry he's hurting :(.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Poor Sarge...so hard to see them in pain. I have two allergy dogs and ear infections go hand in hand with itchy skin, paw licking, etc. The worse the allergies, the higher the likelihood of an ear infection. He should start feeling better soon with the meds. As far as food goes, I would avoid anything with potatoes as they can be inflammatory and contribute to ear infections. Which Acana formula are you feeding? Did you switch proteins in his food? My Stella is on the Pork and Butternut Squash and loves it, but is still quite itchy after 3 weeks on it. You are such a caring parent and I feel for you. These little squishy faced sweethearts rely on us for so much. Good luck and keep us posted on his progress.

Tgirl

Reaction score
Poor baby. I see a good many dogs at work that come in with ear infections. He should be a good bit better within 2 or 3 days, and will continue to improve over the next week or so.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Poor Sarge and you! As you know, Jax suffers from environmental allergies too and is on Apoquel and bi-weekly allergy shots and occasional Benadryl as well. He has yet to get an ear infection (knock on wood) but I understand hating to see them in pain and uncomfortable. We did not get much of a winter either in Washington so Jax has been having some flare ups as well. Having a sick dog is definitely worse than having a sick child. At some point, a child can tell you what is hurting and a dog never will. Hang in there!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
OUCH! Ear infections are always so tough to see... like you said, the ear looks clean, but we can not see down inside and that is the real pain for them. I was going to suggest the Benedryl, but I think you are covered with the meds.

Hugs to you both... I hope it clears up quickly

Reaction score
Hudson has recurring ear infections. We buy a product on Amazon for dog ear infections that has hydrocortisone in it and that seems to help a lot with the pain. He HATES having it put in but he always feels much better after. It's called zymox, maybe it would help him. As far as timing, for us it's always different :/. Sometimes they clear up quick and sometimes they drag on and on. I'm so sorry he's hurting :(.

Thank you for the info, I will look into it. We have left him at the vet today because he is definitely worse if that's at all possible. Poor thing can't even swallow, can't shake hos head and can't bar :-(

Reaction score
Poor Sarge...so hard to see them in pain. I have two allergy dogs and ear infections go hand in hand with itchy skin, paw licking, etc. The worse the allergies, the higher the likelihood of an ear infection. He should start feeling better soon with the meds. As far as food goes, I would avoid anything with potatoes as they can be inflammatory and contribute to ear infections. Which Acana formula are you feeding? Did you switch proteins in his food? My Stella is on the Pork and Butternut Squash and loves it, but is still quite itchy after 3 weeks on it. You are such a caring parent and I feel for you. These little squishy faced sweethearts rely on us for so much. Good luck and keep us posted on his progress.
It's been 36 hrs and he's MUCH worse so we dropped him off this AM for testing and whatever they need to do to make him better. He bites because he's in pain so I assume they'll do anesthesia for a thorough exam. The Acana is Wild Prairie something. It's Chicken, Turkey, Wall-eye, Egg, Pears and veggies No potatoes of any kind, no grains. His previous food which was recommended by his dermatologist was Natural Balance Limited Ingredient food that was chicken and sweet potato and he did fine on it I just read about the Acana and Orijens and went to a specialty food store and the lady there told me about several more good foods and said to go ahead and get the Acana because there wasn't much difference except $ between the 2 and the Orijens had more protein but the Acana is 60% protein which is plenety. I hope it's not what caused it because I'll feel terrible. This is our first ear infection and seriously hope it's the last because I can't handle seeing him in pain.

- - - Updated - - -

OUCH! Ear infections are always so tough to see... like you said, the ear looks clean, but we can not see down inside and that is the real pain for them. I was going to suggest the Benedryl, but I think you are covered with the meds.

Thank you, I will.

Reaction score
Poor baby. I see a good many dogs at work that come in with ear infections. He should be a good bit better within 2 or 3 days, and will continue to improve over the next week or so.
I have had a lot of things wrong with a lot of different dogs but this was by far the worst for me to witness. He's worse after 36 hrs so I took him and left him today.They'll probably sedate him to do an exam because he bits because he's in pain. :-(

Reaction score
Poor Sarge and you! As you know, Jax suffers from environmental allergies too and is on Apoquel and bi-weekly allergy shots and occasional Benadryl as well. He has yet to get an ear infection (knock on wood) but I understand hating to see them in pain and uncomfortable. We did not get much of a winter either in Washington so Jax has been having some flare ups as well. Having a sick dog is definitely worse than having a sick child. At some point, a child can tell you what is hurting and a dog never will. Hang in there!
I agree if he could talk to me or understand me I'd feel so much better. This is our first ear infection and I hope it will be the last because I can't take it.I do everything right and I am so on target with his treatments and schedules I just don't understand why this happened.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree if he could talk to me or understand me I'd feel so much better. This is our first ear infection and I hope it will be the last because I can't take it.I do everything right and I am so on target with his treatments and schedules I just don't understand why this happened.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you!

Whenever something is going on with Jax, I grab his face and say "just tell me what is wrong so I can fix it." He has yet to reply. But don't beat yourself up too much. Sometimes stuff happens that is out of our control no matter what we do.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I would get him off that food and I hope he gets better soon, poor baby.

Reaction score
Whenever something is going on with Jax, I grab his face and say "just tell me what is wrong so I can fix it." He has yet to reply. But don't beat yourself up too much. Sometimes stuff happens that is out of our control no matter what we do.
Well it sure has been out of my control and I don't care for that much. 11PM Monday dog refuses to go to bed but seems normal in every other way. Tues, goes to Vet gets meds, Wed seems somewhat improved but not what I'd hoped for, Thu is definitely worse goes back to vet and has anesthesia exam, treatment, additional meds, Friday is notably better but after evening meal with 6 PM meds starts retching and vomiting until his entire stomach is empty and develops dry heaves so he's now at the 24 hour emergency care facility. All over an ear infection. I am not sure when he gets to come home.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Well it sure has been out of my control and I don't care for that much. 11PM Monday dog refuses to go to bed but seems normal in every other way. Tues, goes to Vet gets meds, Wed seems somewhat improved but not what I'd hoped for, Thu is definitely worse goes back to vet and has anesthesia exam, treatment, additional meds, Friday is notably better but after evening meal with 6 PM meds starts retching and vomiting until his entire stomach is empty and develops dry heaves so he's now at the 24 hour emergency care facility. All over an ear infection. I am not sure when he gets to come home.
So sorry to hear this Kris! My thoughts are with you and Sarge for a speedy recovery.

eeturk

Reaction score
I'm so sorry. Thinking of y'all, I can't imagine :(. Feel better Sarge!!

Mavis

Reaction score
Kris, I'm so sorry. When Bambi was so thin and we couldn't put weight on her, I was a mess. I can't imagine having Sarge be in such pain. These angels are just the sweetest things. Please keep us posted. Hoping for some sign of improvement and solution to treat it.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear this :( Sending good vibes & prayers! Hope he feels better soon!

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Oh no, so sorry for all you and Sarge are going through and I hope he feels better soon.