Alternative medication

dopeman57911

Reaction score
Hi my little Frenchy suffers with a skin condition or allergy that we can’t pinpoint the vet has been prescribing prednisolone that has worked great and her skin has completely healed

But the vet charges me an arm and leg for these and in prescriptions I feel like a cash cow

Is there any alternative or any way I can source these my self ?

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hi my little Frenchy suffers with a skin condition or allergy that we can’t pinpoint the vet has been prescribing prednisolone that has worked great and her skin has completely healed

But the vet charges me an arm and leg for these and in prescriptions I feel like a cash cow

Is there any alternative or any way I can source these my self ?

For allergies, I give my frenchie bovine colostrum powder, I buy the four leaf rover bovine colostrum and it’s also great for environmental allergies, it’s a natural version of Benadryl.

dopeman57911

Reaction score
thanks ill have a look mate, but i have tried benadryl in the past and it didn't work

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Prednisone is fine short term but I wouldn't do it long term. The best thing would be to find out exactly what the allergies are and if they are environmental or food related or both. Have you seen a dermatologist?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed.... pred is a great short term treatment, but I would not want to have them on it long term, not good for the liver and can cause more issues.

Any idea what if any allergies your pup has? Also, if you decide to do any type of allergy testing be sure your pup is off the pred for a full 30 days before taking the blood... otherwise you will get false negative results because the pred suppresses the allergen