Any suggestions on a good natural hypoallergenic shampoo ?

MauiJones

Reaction score
Hello fellow fur parents!

I am looking for recommendations for shampoo and conditioners for a VERY sensitive French bulldog puppy. Maui has had skin issues ever since the first day we got him. Come to find out we were unknowingly poisoning him after the vet recommended an allergy test.

He is allergic to: Turkey, Sweet potatoes, Rice, Pork, Milk, Wool, HUMAN DANDER/HAIR (I know crazy right), House dust, Tobacco, Cypress, Certain types of grass and plants and Grain Mix.
It's been rough but we finally got him an approved dog food from his allergy list a few months ago and he is also on hydroxizine to manage most of this allergies.

We were using Premium Pet Oatmeal Shampoo when we first got him, but he was also eating food that had sweet potatoes in it which caused a HUGE allergic reaction. After he got better the vet recommended a hypoallergenic shampoo - and of course oatmeal is one of the best but the vet advised Oat is considered a "Grain Mix" so it is possible it may have contributed to his allergies. We currently have him using Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic and Antifungal Medicated Shampoo - which seems to be working fine but it is drying out his skin allllot and I don't really like the idea of having to use a medicated shampoo while he is already on medication (the vet also didn't prescribe the shampoo, we got it off of amazon).

Any suggestions on a good natural hypoallergenic shampoo ?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I used to have to give Jax a bath every week for environmental allergies and always used a chlorhexidine shampoo. It is medicated but it does not dry the skin and I never had any issued. He now gets Cytopoint injections and his baths are way less frequent but I still use the same shampoo.