Article: Why Does My French Bulldog Have Diarrhea?

French Louie

Reaction score
I think all dog foods are bad for dogs I make my own dog food for my Frenchie. When I gave Louie vet recommended dog food she would go to the bathroom 5-6 times a day all over the house. Now with the food I make her now she goes 3 times a day outside. She is as healthy as she can be. If anyone is interested message me.

Ryan Peaslee

Reaction score
I think all dog foods are bad for dogs I make my own dog food for my Frenchie. When I gave Louie vet recommended dog food she would go to the bathroom 5-6 times a day all over the house. Now with the food I make her now she goes 3 times a day outside. She is as healthy as she can be. If anyone is interested message me.

Hello was reading your reply and would love to know the recipe for your puppy chow. My little rubble is sick going to get tomorrow but if it is his diet that's upsetting him I would love to give him something that will hopefully balance him out.

Christel

Reaction score

I have a new baby, 9 weeks, and we have him on some grain free food and he does the same, goes #2 about 6 times a day, and just freaks out after every one, it's really soft (not diarrhea) so I am not sure if we are feeding him the wrong food, and I am also guessing too much. What is the recipe for your home made food?

roux

Reaction score
My 9 week old has mucus and blood and really soft poo. I'll try cutting down her food but would like to learn about raw and homemade food if anyone can help
Thank you

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Has your vet done a fecal exam? She could have a parasite.
There is also lots of info. on here about feeding and you can just search the forum. I feed Sojos base mix and add cooked protein (lamb or salmon and turkey). The Honest Kitchen also has a base mix.

blushy

Reaction score
My 9 week old has mucus and blood and really soft poo. I'll try cutting down her food but would like to learn about raw and homemade food if anyone can help
Thank you

I agree with [MENTION=600]Jakeyjake[/MENTION] that there is a possibility of a parasite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lauri

Reaction score
Hi there I'm a new owner of a French bulldog and would love your recipe for your food that your making for your Frenchie pretty please..

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there I'm a new owner of a French bulldog and would love your recipe for your food that your making for your Frenchie pretty please..
[MENTION=1207]French Louie[/MENTION]

momac

Reaction score

My 11 month old Frenchie has always had loose stools. I have cheanged her food numerous times to no avail. Grain free, raw, Royal Canin for frenchies, chicken, chicken and rice...nothing makes any difference. She is in season at the moment but perfectly healthy and active. I am getting her speyed in April. Her poop is like soft ice cream texture and has to be scrapped up rather than picked up. Sorry to be so graphic...any advice would be appreciated

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
My 11 month old Frenchie has always had loose stools. I have cheanged her food numerous times to no avail. Grain free, raw, Royal Canin for frenchies, chicken, chicken and rice...nothing makes any difference. She is in season at the moment but perfectly healthy and active. I am getting her speyed in April. Her poop is like soft ice cream texture and has to be scrapped up rather than picked up. Sorry to be so graphic...any advice would be appreciated

What do you feed and how much at each feeding?

momac

Reaction score
Bella started out on 3 meals a day. Gradually she cut out the morning meal, then the afternoon meal....she just refuses to eat until 4 o clock. She is very picky and I am afraid I am spoiling her at the moment. She expects to be hand fed and as she is in season I have resorted to this....bad, I know. She has 2 steamed chicken thighs and a small handful of Royal Canin and sometimes refuses to eat anything at all for 24 hours. She is fit and healthy, playful and goes for a 2 hour walk every day...in all, a very happy and sociable little dog. She is being speyed in April

Georgia

Reaction score

Hey, my frenchie is 9 months 17.5 lbs and she is active and alert. We have the same troubles as you noted. We switched off Chicken about two months ago (as we read a whole mess about how this is a poor protein for french bulldogs) and are on Turkey, Salmon and Duck - no grain, wheat or corn. It appeared that this was working and I think still better than Chicken but still we do have soft eliminations. We have used pro-biotics, and tried pumpkin as an additive to her meals. Usually her AM elimination seems healthy, but then her evening elimination is half good and half like soft ice cream - looks like she is constipated also when this happens. I thought we weren't feeding enough because of her weight so possibly we were over-feeding. We reduced her meals and it looked this fixed the issue (...for about a week). I'm going to try reducing again by a wee bit to see what this does (we currently eat twice at 65g).

I'm tired of going to the vet who just pushes Royal Canin on us because they make commission off it and it costs $90 for a 5 minute visit. If anyone has these similar issues and has found a solution we would be so incredibly thankful if you share.

Thanks,

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Has she been checked for a parasite? Giardia will display similar symptoms as you are describing and it can be terribly difficult to get rid of. Also make sure you are not feeding her too much as this could result in loose stools. You may want to even break her meals down to three times per day and see if that helps. I had a similar situation for many months with a dog and it really helped to continue to feed 3 x per day and give her a probiotic. She is a year old now and down to eating twice per day and doing great.
I agree to avoid Royal Canin.

Georgia

Reaction score
Has she been checked for a parasite? Giardia will display similar symptoms as you are describing and it can be terribly difficult to get rid of. Also make sure you are not feeding her too much as this could result in loose stools. You may want to even break her meals down to three times per day and see if that helps. I had a similar situation for many months with a dog and it really helped to continue to feed 3 x per day and give her a probiotic. She is a year old now and down to eating twice per day and doing great.
I agree to avoid Royal Canin.

Thanks, we did have Giardia at about 9 weeks but it had cleared up with medication. We're going to try reducing our food a bit and if that doesn't work then we will try 3 meals as you suggested.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Your dog can still have giardia even if it tests negative, since the shedding of cysts depends on what part of the life cycle the giardia is in. It would't hurt to do another 5 day course of Panacur.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Your dog can still have giardia even if it tests negative, since the shedding of cysts depends on what part of the life cycle the giardia is in. It would't hurt to do another 5 day course of Panacur.

Agreed.... giardia is vry difficult to get rid of... even with negative, it can still be there --

Thanks, we did have Giardia at about 9 weeks but it had cleared up with medication. We're going to try reducing our food a bit and if that doesn't work then we will try 3 meals as you suggested.

ZandZ

Reaction score
A couple of teaspoons a day of canned plain pumpkin should help firm out stools. Has anyone tried diatomaceous earth to firm up stools? , eg. Pro Pet Powder

I would love to know more about Pro Pet Powder as well, my breeder recommended it.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I never tried Pro Pet Powder, but did buy some food grade diatamaceous earth to have around. I used it to kill some ants who were crawling in, but never tried it yet on my dog.