Bald spot

Brocha3

Reaction score
Hello everyone I have a question I am contacting my vet tomorrow and make a check up.

As a new french bulldog owner I might be overreacting but today I noticed these balding areas on both of my dogs front legs. She is shedding more then usual lately so I am hoping this is normal and I'm just over reacting.

If I grab that area and pull slightly I get alit of hair then if I would be grabing say her back or rear legs.

She is 9 months old. She is being fed Royal Canine Small/Chiot.. about 3 weeks ago I introduced Zesty Paws wild alaskan salmon oil. She does scratch alot so I know she has allergies which is why I started her up on salmon oil and it has calmed it down alittle so far.

I am looking for any insight any advice from people that have more experience with these specific breed.

Attachments

• 20220427_000540.jpg
    20220427_000540.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220427_000522.jpg
    20220427_000522.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 2

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there! I would probably try switching to a better quality food. RC is typically full of fillers. Some brands you can look at, in no particular order, would be Acana, Open Farm, Zignature, Earthborn Holistics, Stella & Chewy's. Try to stick to one protein at a time so you can keep track of any issues. Some Frenchies don't do well with chicken or beef.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hello everyone I have a question I am contacting my vet tomorrow and make a check up.

As a new french bulldog owner I might be overreacting but today I noticed these balding areas on both of my dogs front legs. She is shedding more then usual lately so I am hoping this is normal and I'm just over reacting.

If I grab that area and pull slightly I get alit of hair then if I would be grabing say her back or rear legs.

She is 9 months old. She is being fed Royal Canine Small/Chiot.. about 3 weeks ago I introduced Zesty Paws wild alaskan salmon oil. She does scratch alot so I know she has allergies which is why I started her up on salmon oil and it has calmed it down alittle so far.

I am looking for any insight any advice from people that have more experience with these specific breed.

I would definitely get her off RC as it’s not a good food.
There are also tons of allergy ingredients in it too.

I recommend feeding raw diet, or Raised Right lightly cooked(that’s what I feed my Frenchie with bad allergies), or if you want to have a kibble other options are:

-Carna4(they have a goat, venison, lamb and fish formulas)-it’s oven baked nuggets minimally
,processed no synthetics
-natures logic kibble
- Orijen kibble(the lowest carb option for kibble)

Other than itchy and fur loss, any other allergy issues???? Hives/bumps, rashes, chewing paws? Ear issues and watery eyes?

Also you should be rotating proteins after you get her off RC and on a better food. Stay away from RC, hills, science diet, eukanuba, and Purina as it’s all fillers!

I give my Frenchie bovine Colostrum for environmental allergies and it works amazing! I also bath him 1-2 times a week and that helps too.

Probiotics are also recommended as it’s helps the immune system.

Keep us updated!
I’m happy to help!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to FBN. I agree, food is not working for your baby. Get on a good high quality kibble or feed raw. Add a probiotic to help strengthen immune system, fresh sauerkraut, keifer, raw goats milk, or herbsmith microflora

Brocha3

Reaction score
That’s awesome!

Which food did you end up switching her to?

She is cute, great photo.
Thank you very much she's a happy dog. I put her on acana since my local petco always has it in stock. I have another question. I've read very controversial answers some say it's good other says it's not. I wanted to start adding a small amount of raw diet with her kibble. What's your opinion on this should it either be kibble or all raw or can I do a half and half.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Thank you very much she's a happy dog. I put her on acana since my local petco always has it in stock. I have another question. I've read very controversial answers some say it's good other says it's not. I wanted to start adding a small amount of raw diet with her kibble. What's your opinion on this should it either be kibble or all raw or can I do a half and half.

That’s awesome she is on a better food now🙂

Yes you can feed raw and kibble.
I know a lot of people that do 1/2 kibble and other 1/2 raw diet. Since they digest differently, and most people do this when they can’t feed all raw :

Is 1 meal raw(breakfast for example)
And other meal kibble(dinner as example)

1 meal raw and the other meal is kibble is a very common way people do it.

Some fresh food is better than none (for people that don’t want to feed raw, feeding a lightly cooked low carb food such as Raised Right lightly cooked is another really good option for people who don’t want to feed raw).

Keep us updated!

Brocha3

Reaction score
That’s awesome she is on a better food now🙂

Yes you can feed raw and kibble.
I know a lot of people that do 1/2 kibble and other 1/2 raw diet. Since they digest differently, and most people do this when they can’t feed all raw :

Is 1 meal raw(breakfast for example)
And other meal kibble(dinner as example)

1 meal raw and the other meal is kibble is a very common way people do it.

Some fresh food is better than none (for people that don’t want to feed raw, feeding a lightly cooked low carb food such as Raised Right lightly cooked is another really good option for people who don’t want to feed raw).

Keep us updated!
Thank you for all that information I greatly appreciate all the help that everyone has provided to ensure my dog lives a happy healthy life. I'll keep you all posted.