Bath time

hannah

Reaction score
Banksy is 10 weeks old now and ABSOLUTLEY hates bath time. I have tried once in the bath tub with a small amount of warm water, and the next time I tried in the sink. He hated both. He shakes for a while after the bath is over and during the whole time just tries to escape and is very unhappy with me. After the bath I hold him in a towel and try to calm him down but he is terrified! Breaks my heart. Any tips on making the bath time experience more enjoyable, or help him relax and not shake so badly after its done with? He wont even accept a treat after until it seems he has gotten over it.

Fosta Mama

Reaction score
I think it's just one of those things that they just need to endure. As a lil' pup, it's probably more traumatic for Banksy because he just hasn't had many baths yet. But don't coddle him when he's scared, so that you don't reenforce his fears. He will be fine once he gets used to baths, although he may never like them (most Frenchies don't).

Here was Travis back when I first got him. He had to sit with the medicated shampoo for 15 minutes and hated it! He doesn't do this anymore now.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it's just one of those things that they just need to endure. As a lil' pup, it's probably more traumatic for Banksy because he just hasn't had many baths yet. But don't coddle him when he's scared, so that you don't reenforce his fears. He will be fine once he gets used to baths, although he may never like them (most Frenchies don't).

Here was Travis back when I first got him. He had to sit with the medicated shampoo for 15 minutes and hated it! He doesn't do this anymore now.

PERFECT advice!! :up;

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
dome of them just don't lie baths, most of mine don't, but they tolerate it, only because they don't have a choice.Once it's done and they were good, they get a treat.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jax doesn't enjoy getting a bath but he will tolerate it. I use a medicated shampoo which mean he has to stand there for up to 10 minutes to let it soak in. I have been giving him weekly baths and he has only jumped out of the tub once to escape. After every bath he gets a case of the zoomies as well.

Tgirl

Reaction score
She will more than likely get used to it eventually. She may not like it, but as long as the water is warm, and nothing traumatic happens in the tub, she should become more comfortable in there. :)

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
!0 Weeks is quite young and there's a lot of things that could frighten a puppy. Make sure that the puppy is on a rubber mat or towel in the bottom of the tub or sink so she doesn't slip and lose her footing. Also, try not to run the water from the spout or faucet super hard. I usually fill up my sink with a few inches of water and shampoo. Then I place the dog in the sink and wet their coat with a plastic cup. A nice massage while I lather the shampoo in is a nice touch too. Gently rinse with the nozzle and voila, clean dog!Jake likes a treat afterwards and Stella likes a game of fetch. Good luck!

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
What I like to do is talk very sweet and make it seem exciting "Like oooooooh! It's bath time! Yipppeeeee!"

They feed off your energy, so continue to stay positive the whole time whether they like it or not, keep saying how wonderful it is.

Afterwards, snuggle for a while in a towel rather then starting to mess with nails and ears, ect. Save that part for later or the next day.

Hopefully after a few baths your baby will learn to love them!

hannah

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Very helpful information.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Wally is fine with baths but I do make a fuss like it's going to be the most fun ever. I honestly think that if anyone bugged my house they would think I was a complete nut for how I talk to my dogs. :p

shortstuff

Reaction score
You'd think there's poison in our bathroom for how much or shepherd mix hates baths. She avoids the bathroom even when there's no signs of bath time and if the bathroom door is left open and the water is running, she is near impossible to find. Over time she has learned that it's a much better experience if she doesn't struggle and just goes along with it, but she still hates it. We've tried everything from bringing toys into the shower, giving her treats, talking happily... nothing works. She just hates water in all forms, whether it's wet grass, baths, or the ocean.

Our Frenchie, Bisou, on the other hand absolutely LOVES baths. We have to make sure we shut the bathroom door before turning the shower on because, if not, she takes off like a rocket and jumps into the tub. She likes baths, but she adores showers and will join in when one of us showers. Most dogs don't like baths, but over time she'll come to tolerate them.