Blue frenchies

Signals678

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am new to this forum, I am in the process of getting a new frenchie puppy. I am not new to bulldogs just new to French bulldogs as I have had English bulldogs- and I understand they are different. My wife and son really want a Blue one. My question is are there any forum members out there who have them and if so are the skin issues as pronounced as google would make you believe? I mean all purebred dogs can have skin issues and is usually corrected through diet. Any insight would help me out immensely. Thank you and thank you for this forum.

Sean

Frenchie Fanatic

Reaction score
Hi Sean,
We have a blue frenchie.
Your question can be a polarizing topic.
Do what I did when I was looking for our Charlie.
Read as much as you can about them, talk to breeders and any owners that you can.
If you have a good vet, get their input.
I did and made the decision to look for a blue frenchie. There are currently three pictures of Charlie on
this site. Three different threads. There are other blue frenchie owners here too.
My wife and I love his color and personality.
He just turned two and his health has been excellent, with the exception of eating something he shouldn't have!!
No regrets! :no:
Good luck to you!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Correct.. all dogs can have issues— food and genetics play a big role.

We feed raw and it has made the best impact in my boy.. he is not blue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alice Kable

Reaction score
What is important to me in picking out any pet is are they bred for health, temperament, and breed standards. As you know from having English Bulldogs, short nosed dogs are prone to have breed specific health issues. I have not had a blue or any designer color but would be reluctant to get a pet with even the possibility of adding to the health problems list.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Blues are not pure breed Frenchies. The color blue, black and tan, and merle are not natural colors of the French Bulldog. They are mixed to produce these colors, and can come with more health problems than pure breed ones do. Merle is associated with deafness and eye disease, blues, lilacs, and lavenders may be associated with autoimmune disease, skin issues, and food allergies. These are proven facts and not just my opinion. I am a show breeder and the French Bulldog standard is there for a good reason. Please do not support these unethical breeders, as they breed only for money and not for the breed.

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
Blues are not pure breed Frenchies. The color blue, black and tan, and merle are not natural colors of the French Bulldog. They are mixed to produce these colors, and can come with more health problems than pure breed ones do. Merle is associated with deafness and eye disease, blues, lilacs, and lavenders may be associated with autoimmune disease, skin issues, and food allergies. These are proven facts and not just my opinion. I am a show breeder and the French Bulldog standard is there for a good reason. Please do not support these unethical breeders, as they breed only for money and not for the breed.

Don't pure breed frenchies deal with autoimmune disease, skin issues, and food allergies too?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't pure breed frenchies deal with autoimmune disease, skin issues, and food allergies too?

Yes, they do, but it is believe these ‘rare’ color introduced into the genes could increase the likelihood

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
Yes, they do, but it is believe these ‘rare’ color introduced into the genes could increase the likelihood

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's interesting a couple of years ago when we were looking for a dog in general. Lots of people suggested adopting. 1 bc lots of dog need good homes. 2 bc mutts are "healthier".

Carson1834

Reaction score
Here is the best guide about Blue French Bulldogs and also Merle French Bulldog has a unique and rare appearance however, they do carry with them some controversy. French Bulldog purists aren’t a fan of Merle French bulldogs. I admit, when I saw some pictures on Facebook that a breeder had available I was in love with them.

Additional Source: https://frenchbulldogtimes.com

I think Merle frenchies are hideous. And don’t get me started on the yellow eyed reptilian looking ones. It’s extremely disappointing how popular these badly bred dogs are becoming and is shocking to me that so many people are willing to spend thousands of dollars on a dog with little to no research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dracosmommy

Reaction score
I have a blue frenchie, he has dealt with a lot of issues and he is not even 1 year old yet! It has been a crazy ride but I love him so much so I believe it is worth it. I know some people who have breed standard colored frenchies and deal with the same exact problems. So to me, color isn't an issue. I think with french bulldogs you never know if yours will have allergies or conditions you should just pick the one you like, as all of Draco's brothers and sisters who are blue have no issues, except for one with an egg allergy. It is just kind of luck or 'unluck' in Draco's case. That is my opinion, I know some will disagree. Don't care! I love my Draco!