Capo

gaw321

Reaction score
image.jpg
HI, I'm new to your group. We have a 16 month old male Frenchie, breeders call him pied, we know his fathers history but not his mothers. Lots of problems with digestion. I have been observing your group and you all seem to have more knowledge than the two vets we've seen. I could really use some help trying to figure out what to do next for food for Capo.

hannah

Reaction score
Hi ! Welcome!

What are you currently feeding Capo? What all have you tried?

gaw321

Reaction score
The list is long...he was on Kirkland brand, Costco, when we got him. We bought merrick puppy formula, no problems. 1st vet had never had a Frenchie in her practice before but when I scheduled his 1 st appointment I asked if they, 4 vets, had treated or even seen Frenchie before. Yes we have tell tale sign was when we son and I walked in with Capo everything stopped they all wanted him. We left after coccida test was positive and we were told he would grow out of it. 2 weeks later after each poop there was a trail of blood from his anus. That vet said merrick was to high in protein she wanted him on adult formula. 2 nd vet 3rd food royal canin found out his allergic to soy, then hypo allergenic Royal canin still itching, then beef and rice and Flagyl, then 3 red vet allergist purina hypoallergenic back to 2nd vet now on Canidae 8 ingredient seafood and vital pet fresh salmon grain free. We thought we found the right food still soft serve, blood is hit and miss. When he's excited he has diarrhea and urgency. His coat is beautiful not a hot spot or sore to be found. His face around his mouth gets red bumps then he itches

hannah

Reaction score
I would try Acana or Fromm if you want to continue with feeding kibble

Or possibly a raw fresh diet

hannah

Reaction score
Here is a website that rates dog food you should check it out. also if you go to the food section of the forum there are tons of threads started on food reccomendations. https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

Hopefully someone else can chime in on the allergies part of your questions or maybe has some other suggestions but those are mine for food reccomendations anyway

gaw321

Reaction score
He's been poked, prodded and scoped. All 3 vets say allergies trial and error with food takes time he's active no worse for wear. A bundle of joy, he's my 23 year old sons constant companion. I'll check out the sites you recommended.
Thank you,
Geri

hannah

Reaction score
Frenchies are truly the best. My two babies are my WHOLE world <3

Glad to have you here! Feel free to share more photos of your baby!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Capo is a handsome dude for sure. We have had English Bulldogs for years and have had success with the blood test for food allergies. It really helped narrow down the food choices. We feed Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to FBN!

We feed Fromm pork snd peas... I've been through every grain free flavor of Fromm with my two as trail/error.... Did the blood allergy test and found out Pork and Peas was the only option for them if i wanted to feed Fromm.

Where are you located, maybe we have a vet on the member recommended list that is near you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaw321

Reaction score
We are in San Diego County California. We bought Capo from San Diego bullies in May of 2015 he was born March 2015. I keep going back to why he wasn't treated for coccida and is this the result of that. I work in a medical office we have human patients that deal with this as well. I did find a website French Bulldog of America under the tab learn about frenchies there is a article about their gastrointestinal problems. Lots of good info, like you said trial and error we have not had allergy blood work but he was scoped in the rectum by the derm vet he felt the blood is coming from the rectum/anus area. Lower protein sounds good but not easy to do. This doesn't seem to bother him one bit no hot spots just redness around his mouth that's why I keep coming back to allergies. I know medical people are the worst we think way outside the box but when you think about it humans are very similar to dogs.
I hope you have a happy and safe 4th of July!
Take care, Geri

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Your boy is a handsome boy. We are having good results from FROMM Hasen Duckenpfeffer. Hope your boy gets better soon.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Welcome!! Capo is one handsome dude!!

Good luck with the allergies. It really is trial and error. I feed my pups Acana Pacifica.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Capo is adorable. Welcome. We are just north of you in Corona del Mar. I would definitely look into a grain free high quality kibble, if that's the route you want to go. I cook for my two with Sojos base mix and just add the protein. They both have allergies. Good luck!

blushy

Reaction score
Welcome! Capo is adorable!

I can't believe your vet wouldn't treat a puppy for Coccidia. Sounds like a headache and a half, I dealt with horrific parasites and I feel so bad that your vet didn't even help you.

Have you had another fecal test done for Coccidia and giardia? If your dog still has bloody stool it's 99% that you need treatment. The Coccidia probably caused permanent damage to the GI but you can control symptoms regardless of who and where you dog came from.

I feed Fromm Adult Chicken and Brown Rice currently, both of my dogs do well. Problem dog, and itchy dog both. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk