Cold weather causing light dandruff?

blushy

Reaction score
We've been having snow and bitter cold wind chill lately, so obviously being outside the least as possible has been our goal, but obviously a little doggy still needs to go potty!

Thoroughly brushing Isa today with her Kong Zoom Groom and notice some dandruff flaking, and now that I've brushed her and kicked it up, it's continuing, but holding her fur up and looking at her skin, no dry skin is visible...

Any suggestions on how to combat this? Or just brush and stick it out for the winter? She's never had dandruff before.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
:hmm: not sure if her skin looks good, but dry air does = dry flaky skin

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I agree with [MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION], winter brings dry air and flaky skin.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Uma used to get dandruff in the winter. I now give the dogs salmon oil and I haven't seen dandruff on either dog ever since.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Salmon oil is great for the coat and skin. I give it to mine and they are nice and soft.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree with trying either salmon oil or coconut oil.

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Yup Fish Oil or coconut oil. The coconut oil u can also use topically and rub a little on her fur. When buying fish oil check the Omega 3/6 content.You want to have the majority/only Omega 3's. also buy dark,glass bottle and dont use the same bottle for more than 3 months,as this is when it usually turns rancid.

blushy

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I can feed the coconut oil and/or just put it on her, correct? How much could I feed her? And how? Haha.

These being my first Bulldogs, I'm totally new to all of this supplementing and such haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Yup the coconut oil you can use topically and internally.
Its 1/2 teaspoon per 10 lbs of body weight. Usually dogs love the taste and would even lick it off the spoon, but you can also add it to the food or dip treats in it.

blushy

Reaction score
Yup the coconut oil you can use topically and internally.
Its 1/2 teaspoon per 10 lbs of body weight. Usually dogs love the taste and would even lick it off the spoon, but you can also add it to the food or dip treats in it.

Thanks! :)

I'll try the 1/2 tsp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk