Coughing or choking?

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
OV1NcxN.mp4

https://imgur.com/OV1NcxN

I made Charlie sick! Yesterday I gave her a spoonful of Wendy's Vanilla Frostie since she was being so good going potty. I also cut off 2 small pieces of cooked NY steak with the crust cut off so there were no seasoning(only salt&pepper) on it. About the size of tip of pinky. I did sear the steak with some avocado oil and butter and 2 whole cloves of garlic.

Anyways, 2 hours after what would normally been her last poop of the evening, she gave me that stare that she has to go back out. She starts going and then tried to do a double deuce but nothing came out the 2nd attempt. Soft serve looking, like a McDonald's ice cream cone. Not full on diarrhea. Still held shape

From 10:30PM to 7AM, she woke up and pooped 5 times. Poor girl.

I had her in the crate in the morning from 930-1pm. It appeared she flushed everything out before I felt somewhat comfortable leaving for a bit. I did see how she was barking and howling almost the entire time though. Thought maybe she was crying bc she had to go poop more but when I got home and let her outside, she just peed a bit. Brat. I gave her a treat but she practically inhaled it since she was so excited. Afterwards is when I noticed she was coughing. Thought maybe a small bit got stuck in her throat or something.

Well she ate some food and drank some water. Here we are hours later and she's still doing this coughing. She's tried to throw up a few times but nothing comes out.

In the vid, the first cough sounds really loud for some reason. The majority of her coughs are the quieter puff sound.

Should I be concerned or will this pass?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I never heard a cough like that, but something is up as her ears seem pinned too.

How is her behavior? Is she still eating and drinking?
[MENTION=188]Cbrugs[/MENTION] [MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION] @foxersmom

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
https://imgur.com/O6NupMf

Here was are 24 hours later, basically the same but the coughing is more obvious.

Took Charlie for her morning walk, she was hacking away. Once she did her duties, took her right back. On way back, she throw up some white foam.

She ate her breakfast. She's still playful. She does cough more when she's active so been limiting it. Force cuddles it is.

I've also noticed she's had several reverse sneezing episodes. More than usual. Might call vet in the morning just in case.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
https://imgur.com/O6NupMf

Here was are 24 hours later, basically the same but the coughing is more obvious.

Took Charlie for her morning walk, she was hacking away. Once she did her duties, took her right back. On way back, she throw up some white foam.

She ate her breakfast. She's still playful. She does cough more when she's active so been limiting it. Force cuddles it is.

I've also noticed she's had several reverse sneezing episodes. More than usual. Might call vet in the morning just in case.

It might be kennel cough... has she or you been around other dogs? Vet check is a good idea

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, do a vet a check. Possibly kennel cough.

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
Called the vet this morning. First available spot is Thursday afternoon. That's pretty much the only thing I hate about the vet we use.

When we got Charlie, we were able to setup a vet appointment the next day. Ever since then, appointments are out several days to a week. Not sure if it's due to covid or just them in general.

So today Charlie barely ate her breakfast. Maybe a quarter of it only, so roughly 1/8 cup. She hasn't touched it since and it's now 9:30PM. Has drank plenty of water. She's still coughing but it seems to be less. I think it's because she's less active today. If she gets excited or follows us, she starts coughing and choking. Is puking white foamy saliva looking stuff.

I also think she's getting very tired. She hadn't slept well 3 straight nights now. Today she would doze off very quickly here and there.

I forgot to mention, she is current on all her shots, as of late Jan.

On Weds, she was at the local dog park.
On Thurs, she started off at PetSmart doggy day camp but got put into the kennel after puking 2 times. Due to stress and anxiety is their guess.
Friday, upset tummy all night
Sat, first sign of cough.
Sun, cough
Mon, still coughing, now not eating much. Puking a bit more white foam. Still interested in treats though.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounding more and more like kennel cough.... poor girl! If you have a vaporizer place it near her when sleeping it might help lessen the chances of her getting worse

Appointments are due to COVID, short staffs , our vet is struggling and we’ve been with them for about 17 yrs.

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
She is hacking more now. It seems any movement will start a Hacking attacking, followed by multiple puddles of white mucus. I'm starting to get a little worry now because she is not drinking enough water anymore. Clearly more is leaving than going in. This video was just taken a few minutes ago. I got her to drink a tiny bit when I held the water bowl up to her.

https://imgur.com/h5eoJax

She had a big hack attack at 3am. She and I sat in front of her water bowl for 10 mins and wouldn't touch it.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
She is hacking more now. It seems any movement will start a Hacking attacking, followed by multiple puddles of white mucus. I'm starting to get a little worry now because she is not drinking enough water anymore. Clearly more is leaving than going in. This video was just taken a few minutes ago. I got her to drink a tiny bit when I held the water bowl up to her.

https://imgur.com/h5eoJax

She had a big hack attack at 3am. She and I sat in front of her water bowl for 10 mins and wouldn't touch it.

I’d call your bet to ask for emergency appointment... if not see if there is a 24/7 vet where you can usually get an appointment with in an hour but have to call ahead due to COVID. I’m concerned he isn’t drinking and you don’t want him dehydrated

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
I’d call your bet to ask for emergency appointment... if not see if there is a 24/7 vet where you can usually get an appointment with in an hour but have to call ahead due to COVID. I’m concerned he isn’t drinking and you don’t want him dehydrated

I actually did call them this morninga couple of hours after they open to see if there are any cancellations so we can get in faster.

Well, we stayed in bed until almost 11AM here. I carried her downstairs to go out back to potty. Instead she just sits there. I tell her to go out and she finally does. Just walks around sniffing then sat down. 1st thing I notice is she didn't cough. She's been coughing with any movement. So I tell her to come back in.

Walks past me and starts eating the remaining food from yesterday's breakfast. Then sat next to me for pets. Then she finally started drinking some water. As I'm cleaning up here, she runs and grabs her ball and starts playing with it. Here comes the coughing and choking.

So energy is back. Coughing is holding her back.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Vets seem to be backed up everywhere due to Covid. Even ER visits are long wait times. You can try giving some bone broth or other type of broth to keep hydrated.

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
Today, when she woke up and went potty. She did start coughing a lot and puked several times. Started off with a couple small piles of white mucus, followed by 2 yellow/orange foam with some tiny bits of food in it.

Overall for today, she's doing great though. Wants to be active. Runs and protects the home. If she overdoes it, she'll start hacking. Otherwise, it's more a little huff/cough.

Not going to cancel the appointment for tomorrow though. Since she is still coughing, want the Vet to take a look just in case. Not to mention, time for a nail trim too.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Today, when she woke up and went potty. She did start coughing a lot and puked several times. Started off with a couple small piles of white mucus, followed by 2 yellow/orange foam with some tiny bits of food in it.

Overall for today, she's doing great though. Wants to be active. Runs and protects the home. If she overdoes it, she'll start hacking. Otherwise, it's more a little huff/cough.

Not going to cancel the appointment for tomorrow though. Since she is still coughing, want the Vet to take a look just in case. Not to mention, time for a nail trim too.

Keep us posted

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
Vet said based on reported activities and symptoms, it is most likely kennel cough. Gave a round of antibiotic and cough suppressant but we decline the suppressant since the cough has been very minimal today.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Vet said based on reported activities and symptoms, it is most likely kennel cough. Gave a round of antibiotic and cough suppressant but we decline the suppressant since the cough has been very minimal today.

Good.. keep close eye as you have been for any increase in issue. Hopefully he gets well quickly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Been following the thread- glad that you were able to see the vet. Hope Charlie gets better soon. Please update when you can - after a couple days of antibiotics I hope you are seeing at least a little improvement.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Sorry, late to this, but happy you got her into the vet. Hopefully she will get better soon. If that ever happens again, take the collar off, as that may help with the throat irritation.

Nic

Reaction score
Our puppy had these symptoms and they ended up X-raying him to make sure he hadn’t swallowed something. His little lungs were white and he had aspirated at some point. We are now about a month out and still using the nebulizer with albuterol in the morning and at night. He’s finally feeling better! I hope your baby is too!��

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
She took her last tablet Sunday morning. She's been fine for quite some time now but followed vet's advise to finish up all the tablets.

She's been a happy playful pup. Took her camping on Mon and got back today.

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
Uh oh. I think she got kennel cough again.

Charlie woke me up at about 5am coughing in bed. I know she was unsupervised the previous hour in the living room. Thought maybe she got into something. Woke up to more coughing throughout the morning. Looked around and didn't see any mischief.
Making her breakfast and she coughs up a bit of white gooey foam.

Take her for her morning potty walk and continued the hacking and foam.. Carried her back home to minimize her straining.

She ate her breakfast and drank some water. Oddly, she did seem to get a bit better afterwards. Frequency reduced to a couple every 10 mins or so.

When her momma got home, she got excited and started hacking. I left for a bit and the same thing happened when I got home. After a bit, we took her for the evening walk. Lasted about 15 mins. Not a single cough. She still coughed a few times since but very mind. I do notice her breathing seems to be louder than usual at times.

She was at doggy camp 10 days ago. Called the vet and the receptionist said based on symptoms, activity and incubation period, it's consistent with kennel cough. Might not even need to exam and may just get a round of antibiotics. Vet suppose to call back but I guess not yet.

Hopefully the coughing doesn't get worse as we progress like before but I think she's learned to settle down and not be as active. More snuggling or asking for pets. Hasn't lost her appetite yet.