Coughing or choking?

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Uh oh. I think she got kennel cough again.

Charlie woke me up at about 5am coughing in bed. I know she was unsupervised the previous hour in the living room. Thought maybe she got into something. Woke up to more coughing throughout the morning. Looked around and didn't see any mischief.
Making her breakfast and she coughs up a bit of white gooey foam.

Take her for her morning potty walk and continued the hacking and foam.. Carried her back home to minimize her straining.

She ate her breakfast and drank some water. Oddly, she did seem to get a bit better afterwards. Frequency reduced to a couple every 10 mins or so.

When her momma got home, she got excited and started hacking. I left for a bit and the same thing happened when I got home. After a bit, we took her for the evening walk. Lasted about 15 mins. Not a single cough. She still coughed a few times since but very mind. I do notice her breathing seems to be louder than usual at times.

She was at doggy camp 10 days ago. Called the vet and the receptionist said based on symptoms, activity and incubation period, it's consistent with kennel cough. Might not even need to exam and may just get a round of antibiotics. Vet suppose to call back but I guess not yet.

Hopefully the coughing doesn't get worse as we progress like before but I think she's learned to settle down and not be as active. More snuggling or asking for pets. Hasn't lost her appetite yet.

One thing to mention to you, you say her breathing is louder, and with the coughing that can definitely be the sign of elongated soft palate.

When it was blocking Rusty’s airway, he was constantly coughing and choking, and foam too from all the coughing, no antibiotics will get rid of the elongated soft palate.

If they get more excited and they do more, she will definitely cough more even when she is greeting you when you come home, coughing more cause she is excited but that definitely sounds like the elongated soft palate.

However, if it is kennel cough, it should go away with antibiotics, if it doesn’t clear up with antibiotics, then it’s probably the elongated soft palate blocking the airway.

Keep us updated.