Cow pattern skin?

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
Is this normal? Charlie's skin seems to be changing as she gets older? Or maybe it's some sort of allergy?

She use to have a pink underbelly and legs but we've been noticing it's darkening. Then it got lighter again but now it's getting darker with these little lighter patches. Will be 3 in Nov.

ayIpYfQ.jpg

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Is this normal? Charlie's skin seems to be changing as she gets older? Or maybe it's some sort of allergy?

She use to have a pink underbelly and legs but we've been noticing it's darkening. Then it got lighter again but now it's getting darker with these little lighter patches. Will be 3 in Nov.

ayIpYfQ.jpg

Looks like yeast overgrowth from allergies.

They go darker and some spots are the colour they should be(the lighter spots on Charlie).
Rusty had that for the first 2 years, now he is 3 and is basically yeast free and is pink now(the colour he should be).

This is usually a result of allergies, especially environmental allergies.

Any signs of environmental allergies??
Sneezing, itchy, bumps/hives, fur loss or red skin, watery eyes, paw chewing????

The yeast overgrowth can be caused by a skin infection, antibiotics, allergy medications, carbs/starch in the diet(kibble uses 40-60% carbs) that feeds the yeast causing this.

When did she start getting darker?

The photos are when I clip his nails(he falls asleep on the blanket).

The top photo is last year at this time of year(VERY yeasy), the middle photo is him back to the Normal colour he was(this was in October he went lighter), and now during allergy season, the bottom photo is him now. He is way better than he used to be(it’s a little darker but not bad, the light I took the photo in it kind of looks red, but it’s not).
I just attached another photo I took today, the bottom photo of him looking at me, if you look at his stomach colour, he is not darker underneath, it was the light and angle of the leg I just took.

1657688889062.jpeg
1657688906546.jpeg
Here is his armpit, he is half pink and half dark due to environmental allergies(the pollen). See below:
1657689592992.jpeg
1657689236783.jpeg

Attachments

• 1657688872289.jpeg
    1657688872289.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 0

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score

ayIpYfQ.jpg

Also what are you feeding her now??
I know she used to be really picky like Rusty, what brand and protein is she eating???

Stay away from carbs/starch in kibble(that’s what holds kibble together).

Has she been on any antibiotics Or medications?

Also I give Rusty bovine Colostrum which really helps with environmental allergies, boost the immune system.
I also give him probiotics and bone broth.

Probiotics are a must when dealing with Yeast Issues(probiotics help keep yeast levels down and crowd out the yeast).

Here are better photos of what his skin currently looks like, way better than last year but not as pink as he went before allergy season. He has patches of what his colour should be.
1657690427014.jpeg
1657690437704.jpeg

Mavis

Reaction score
Looks like yeast overgrowth from allergies.

They go darker and some spots are the colour they should be(the lighter spots on Charlie).
Rusty had that for the first 2 years, now he is 3 and is basically yeast free and is pink now(the colour he should be).

This is usually a result of allergies, especially environmental allergies.

Sneezing, itchy, bumps/hives, fur loss or red skin, watery eyes, paw chewing????

The yeast overgrowth can be caused by a skin infection, antibiotics, allergy medications, carbs/starch in the diet(kibble uses 40-60% carbs) that feeds the yeast causing this.

When did she start getting darker?

The photos are when I clip his nails(he falls asleep on the blanket).

The top photo is last year at this time of year(VERY yeasy), the middle photo is him back to the Normal colour he was(this was in October he went lighter), and now during allergy season, the bottom photo is him now. He is way better than he used to be(it’s a little darker but not bad, the light I took the photo in it kind of looks red, but it’s not).
I just attached another photo I took today, the bottom photo of him looking at me, if you look at his stomach colour, he is not darker underneath, it was the light and angle of the leg I just took.

View attachment 15941
View attachment 15942
Here is his armpit, he is half pink and half dark due to environmental allergies(the pollen). See below:
View attachment 15944
View attachment 15943
Wow, great pictures for comparison. I had no idea this is what yeast looked like. It's so helpful that you captured these. I wish I had come here for advice about Bambi. She had SEVERE allergies and was a mess. Took her to the vet for years and all they would do is say it's allergies - try Apoquel but if that doesn't work, that's about all you can do.

I love Rusty. 😭

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Wow, great pictures for comparison. I had no idea this is what yeast looked like. It's so helpful that you captured these. I wish I had come here for advice about Bambi. She had SEVERE allergies and was a mess. Took her to the vet for years and all they would do is say it's allergies - try Apoquel but if that doesn't work, that's about all you can do.

I love Rusty. 😭

Definitely, he got so dark that I had to photo it(I love how he goes to sleep like that for nail trim) and then he went lighter so I also had to photo it!

Yeast is SO common, and apoquel because of the immune suppressant, it causes yeast overgrowth too, any viruses yeast and other things like cancer can take over cause the immune system doesn’t work cause the apoquel the vets push, Cytopoint is basically the same thing and Atopica too.

Well you don’t have to worry about Jelly or Petey with the carbs to cause yeast, Raised Right and Orijen are very low carb, Orijen is the lowest carb kibble available. Raised right is no more than 8% carb and Orijen 20% carb. That’s really good 😊

That sounds like the vet for my other dogs allergies and also Rusty’s allergies when he was a pup, give apoquel or Cytopoint or Atopica and that’s all they will do.

see what food and supplements can do😊

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
I would have never known that was yeast. Charlie is still eating FreshPet. This week is Chicken&Salmon. The previous 2 weeks were Beef&Lamb.

She gets 3 or 4 pieces of Acana Freeze-dried treats too a day.

She also takes 1/2 a tablet of cosequin daily.

Dont really know when it started to get dark again.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I would have never known that was yeast. Charlie is still eating FreshPet. This week is Chicken&Salmon. The previous 2 weeks were Beef&Lamb.

She gets 3 or 4 pieces of Acana Freeze-dried treats too a day.

She also takes 1/2 a tablet of cosequin daily.

Dont really know when it started to get dark again.

None of those foods are high in carbs, but the Acana freeze dried treats are a little higher in carbs.
Orijen freeze dried treats are less carbs than Acana freeze dried treats.

Sneezing, itchy, bumps/hives, fur loss or red skin, watery eyes, paw chewing/licking????

Maybe it will just go darker during the allergy season when pollen is bad and get lighter after allergy season is over.

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
None of those foods are high in carbs, but the Acana freeze dried treats are a little higher in carbs.
Orijen freeze dried treats are less carbs than Acana freeze dried treats.

Sneezing, itchy, bumps/hives, fur loss or red skin, watery eyes, paw chewing/licking????

Maybe it will just go darker during the allergy season when pollen is bad and get lighter after allergy season is over.
She licks her paws sometimes. Not excessively though. More like cleaning I guess? Rare sneeze. She does do a daily roll on her back itch wiggle. Usually in the morning but sometimes in the evening.

I don't know what is normal for goop in the eyes but it does seem she gets it quite a bit in the morning to me.
If you look closely in the picture, she does have a few tiny red bumps. Probably from the fresh cut grass.

The Cosequin has brewer yeast in the ingredients. Can this be the yeast causing the discoloration?

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
She licks her paws sometimes. Not excessively though. More like cleaning I guess? Rare sneeze. She does do a daily roll on her back itch wiggle. Usually in the morning but sometimes in the evening.

I don't know what is normal for goop in the eyes but it does seem she gets it quite a bit in the morning to me.
If you look closely in the picture, she does have a few tiny red bumps. Probably from the fresh cut grass.

The Cosequin has brewer yeast in the ingredients. Can this be the yeast causing the discoloration?

Maybe the pollen, flowers/plants In bloom and fresh cut grass she is allergic to, but if she is allergic to those, you got lucky with very minimal symptoms, those red spots in the photo are probably a allergic reaction to stuff in the environment.

Yes the goop in the eyes more than usual in the morning(sometimes all day) can also be allergy sign. At least she isn’t going crazy itchy or anything, It’s probably environmental allergy flare up, then when allergies are good, the skin goes back to the good colour.
The yeast overgrowth can be caused by allergies too, and yes the brewers yeast could also be causing it too. It’s probably both environmental allergy and the yeast in the supplement.

I give all my dogs freeze dried green lipped mussels powder for over 2 years now and all the joints are good, even the dog that has arthritis is great(no limping anymore), we started using this for all the dogs when the older dog got arthritis, now all the digs are staying on it.
I highly recommended it for maintenance of the good joints.