dandruff everywhere !!! help!

minnietodd

Reaction score
Hello fellow frenchie lovers ! My baby Charlie has started developing some pretty bad dandruff. He is a blue piebald brindle pup so it shows up on his fur a lot ! I've also noticed the top of his fur in his back is a little more coarse. He's 4 months old so and teething so idk if that has anything to do with it. But the dandruff....oh man. We started noticing it after we literally had to bathe him 3 times in a day because he kept pooping and rolling around in it in his crate. Since then he hadn't gotten a bath but the flakes are there ! He doesn't seem to scratch a ton...at least not any more than how much a puppy scratches. He does go outside to our yard to use the potty and our yard does have some weeds... he is eating blue buffalo right now and is thriving on it...not sure if food is a factor ?

Any suggestions on what to do for his dry skin? I've heard something about oatmeal ? Feeding him an egg?

Schimpfy

Reaction score
Hi my solutions would be to spray him with apple cider vinegar the Mothers bottle after a bath. You can add fish oil or coconut oil in their food to help the oils in their skin. A good brushing helps bring out the oils but baths strip them of their natural oils. There are oils on the market specially made for dandruff but I would not use on my dog unless it was like a mink oil or something of that nature. Teething strips them off a lot of their oils and has been known to make the ears lay down instead of erect once done teething you should notice a change in his coat as well. Hope some of this helps and the little guy can be comfortable be good to and for each other. :yes:

kkatebasilio

Reaction score
This may sound absurd but I give Stitch a bath once a week and use the original head & shoulders, I leave it on him for about 5 minutes and I don't go crazy on distributing the shampoo I usually do it same strokes and rinse him really good, I was ify at first but he stopped having his dandruff. He eats taste of the wild salmon flavor it helps a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Add coconut oil to his meals as someone has suggested.... the more you bathe, the less natural oils are in his fur, which will cause the dry skin/flaking

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
I agree. The more you bathe, the worse it will get.
I would also highly advice against using any kind of human shampoo, especially 'head and shoulders' (really, humans shouldnt be using this either. Scary stuff!).

Definitely start adding a good Omega 3 Fish Source to his diet (good quality fish oil or canned(in water) sardines.
Use coconut oil as a lotion and massage it into your dogs fur.