Dandruff!

Ryan2421

Reaction score
Cami has been scratching like crazy the last couple months! I'm sure it's not fleas, and I'm noticing a lot of dandruff when she scratches. Any advice?

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I would add fish oil and coconut oil to her diet. Most people seem to squirt Grizzly brand salmon oil on their dogs food, but that could potentiallly go rancid after a few months, so I just squirt the contents of a fish oil capsule on my dogs food. I also feed her a teaspoon of coconut oil a day. She should probably get more coconut oil, but she will stop eating after a couple of days if I give her more than that. If you are feeding a less expensive dog food you should switch to a better brand, or go with frozen food such as Stella & Chewy's, Primal or Natures Variety. I feed my dog Orijen regional red. I also brush my dog daily with a Zoomgroom brush to remove shedding hair and distribute the oils. I also give my dog daily "Probiotic Miracle". Some people also rub in coconut oil to their dogs fur, but that's a bit messy, so I don't do it. You can also spray fur with a solution of half and half apple cider vinegar and water to kill yeast. You can also bathe the dog with Curaseb shampoo ( or similar products ) twice a week for 4 weeks, then once weekly thereafter if all the above didn't work. The shampoo kills yeast and bacteria on the skin.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Forgot to mention you can add an antihistamine to help with itching such as chlorpheniramine or cetirizine, if your dog is older than 16 weeks.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Also if you are bathing her more than twice a month I would stop. Bathing to often will wash away natural oils in their skin and make them have the dry skin flakes.

Ryan2421

Reaction score
Cami is on Fromm game bird w/ a teaspoon of Stella and chewys lamb (but weaning the S&C off). She gets bathed once a month at the groomers where they use hypoallergenic oatmeal based shampoo. How do I k ow if it's a yeast problem? It seems like it's dandruff.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
You can tell if she has a yeast problem if she smells like corn chips. She probably will also have lots of debris in ears and itchy paws from the yeast. Fromm Four-Star is a good quality food, but I noticed game bird has potatoes, which could feed yeast, and I noticed Lamb and Lentil has no potatoes.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
On second thought, if she does have a yeast problem, maybe Fromm Four Star isn't the best since it has about 42% carbohydrates. Orijen has about 25% carbohydrates, for contrast. The best would be to try frozen raw dog food which is less than 10% carbohydrates.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I was doing some reading on this website DogAware.com: Supplements for Dogs and it mentioned that if you are supplementing your dog with fish oil,you should probably be also giving your dog a natural source vitamin E 200 to 400 IU per week, and possibly vitamin C 250mg twice daily. I haven't been doing this for my dog, but since I have been giving my dog a 1000mg Fish Oil Blend capsule containing EPA 180mg/DHA 120mg each day, I'm considering adding vitamin E as well, since the fish oil can deplete my dog's vitamin E stores.