Diarrhea on and off

GinoLicious

Reaction score
My male 8 year old had some real bad runs for about a week or two. Took him to the vet, did blood work, everything fine. Checked stool as well,everything clear. Vet put him on medication for diarrhea. Forget what the pill was. So I go to the cottage and the dog goes on a hunger strike as he is finishing his pills. When we go somewhere new, he doesnt eat for a few days. The runs cleared up. Fast forward to a week after the cottage, poops are fine. Then all of a sudden on wednesday, boom, has the runs again and sometimes its very small amounts but 3-5 times a day. Called the vet again, hes saying fast for 24 hours and then introduce rice and food 50-50 for 2 days. I am not sure what is going on. The runs cleared up to only come back. Sometimes he gets me up at 3am to have small runs. Some runs have a bit of blood in them. The original situation what led me to the vet the first time was due to some blood in the stool as well. Not much, but it was small specs. He also strains to poo as well.

Would like to add he was on open farm salmon and then recently switched to open farm lamb and 2 weeks after i think the runs started. Went on vet soft food and pills, cleared up, then went back to the lamb food. strains a lot to poo and its runs.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Was he fine on the salmon? It could be that the lamb just doesn’t agree with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GinoLicious

Reaction score
He was on salmon for years. He still got the runs and is fasting right now. But when we went to the cottage he was on pills and ate the lamb and it cleared up. When we got back he was pooping find for 5 days before the runs started again. That entire time he was on lamb. I'm very confused and concerned. SOme of his runs don't even smell like poo

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
How much are you feeding at each meal? It could be too much, as that can cause issues with poo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GinoLicious

Reaction score
I am feeding 100grams of dried food. He goes out at least 4-6 times for a poo. Always makes a wet noise right before pooping. Poos a lot bigger when he eats of course but still the runs.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I am feeding 100grams of dried food. He goes out at least 4-6 times for a poo. Always makes a wet noise right before pooping. Poos a lot bigger when he eats of course but still the runs.

If I figured it right, that is about 3/4 of a cup. Maybe cut back to half cup, that is a lot for. Frenchie

Sent from my iPad using Tapata

GinoLicious

Reaction score
he was on openfarm salmon. Switched him to open farm lamb . Now I been trying oven baked white fish. Oven baked is the brand. DOnt understand the small runs 4-6 times a day

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, cut back on amount of food to 1/2 cup each meal and add in a probiotic if you aren’t already. My female bulldog eats Open Farm and I rotate through all of the proteins with no issues but if she eats too much, she gets soft poop.

GinoLicious

Reaction score
so i think it may be the lamb. This morning he had almost fully hard poop. Was on the white fish oven baked brand. Going to try the open farm white fish todsy. He did have 3 poops this morning. Not as much straining, but a bit of blood, his bum is sore. Pretty sure i can see rice still in his poop from a few days ago. Does that mean he isn't digesting the rice?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
so i think it may be the lamb. This morning he had almost fully hard poop. Was on the white fish oven baked brand. Going to try the open farm white fish todsy. He did have 3 poops this morning. Not as much straining, but a bit of blood, his bum is sore. Pretty sure i can see rice still in his poop from a few days ago. Does that mean he isn't digesting the rice?

I would still try cutting back… if her system is all messed up she might just be passing everything. I would go back to the open farm salmon and lessen the a,punt to half cup

GinoLicious

Reaction score
seems the runs are gone after going back to fish, however, he been pooping still 3-4 times a day, but it all solid now. Still see some rice in it or it looks like that.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
seems the runs are gone after going back to fish, however, he been pooping still 3-4 times a day, but it all solid now. Still see some rice in it or it looks like that.

Lamb can be tough protein for Frenchies to tolerate. Mine can’t have lamb. Kibble fed dogs seem to poop more than raw fed dogs. My two boys who are fed raw generally poop once a day but my girl who gets the Open Farm usually goes 3 times but sometimes 4. As long as their solid, you’re good.

GinoLicious

Reaction score
Lamb can be tough protein for Frenchies to tolerate. Mine can’t have lamb. Kibble fed dogs seem to poop more than raw fed dogs. My two boys who are fed raw generally poop once a day but my girl who gets the Open Farm usually goes 3 times but sometimes 4. As long as their solid, you’re good.

why is your one not on raw? I been thinking about going raw for years, never have. I tried once and he would not eat it. But now thinking about doing it. My issue Nd what i hope it doesn't cause runs, but would like less poop and not runs.
THinkin of switching to eliminate runs n poop less, even though the runs are gone, but damn he poops a lot lately, but not the runs thank god. He never pooped so much let alone runs 3-5 times a day.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
why is your one not on raw? I been thinking about going raw for years, never have. I tried once and he would not eat it. But now thinking about doing it. My issue Nd what i hope it doesn't cause runs, but would like less poop and not runs.
THinkin of switching to eliminate runs n poop less, even though the runs are gone, but damn he poops a lot lately, but not the runs thank god. He never pooped so much let alone runs 3-5 times a day.

My girl is not on raw because she’s a show dog so feeding raw while in hotels and traveling isn’t feasible. At some point, I’ll transition her to raw for one meal and kibble the other just so having kibble on the road won’t be an issue.

GinoLicious

Reaction score
I am going back to salmon. Stores were closEd yeterday. Poo was okay this morning. Soft, kinda funny but formed. WHen he was done moved to a second spot and had a very small amount of soft poo unformed left over. I may add pumpkin puree today. But I keep wanting to try raw fish this time around.

DO you guys think this is a food problem or a sickness\ disease? Behaviour is normal, blood work has been fine and done so many times lately. Never in my life has he pooped so frequent in a day though.

Does anyone have experience with simparica trio tick medication? it's a monthly pill for ticks. Cosmo use to only use revolution, but the vet I pushing this new pill. Jus read side effects and the runs are on of them. Could he be getting the runs from these meds? We are at 4 poops a day when he use to be 1-2.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I am going back to salmon. Stores were closEd yeterday. Poo was okay this morning. Soft, kinda funny but formed. WHen he was done moved to a second spot and had a very small amount of soft poo unformed left over. I may add pumpkin puree today. But I keep wanting to try raw fish this time around.

DO you guys think this is a food problem or a sickness\ disease? Behaviour is normal, blood work has been fine and done so many times lately. Never in my life has he pooped so frequent in a day though.

Does anyone have experience with simparica trio tick medication? it's a monthly pill for ticks. Cosmo use to only use revolution, but the vet I pushing this new pill. Jus read side effects and the runs are on of them. Could he be getting the runs from these meds? We are at 4 poops a day when he use to be 1-2.

Could it be IBD or colitis? I use Sentinel Spectrum fir fleas/heart worms. When did you give the Simparica? Side effects can linger.

GinoLicious

Reaction score
The pill is monthly. I gave him one around July 1st. Shortly thereafter, less then a week,runs happened. Went back to the vet, got meds for the runs, runs cleared up. About a week after everything clearing up, runs came back. Today he has pooped 3 times. Third poop was the most firm out of all of em today. However I did notice some mucus on the stool. Only on one log had the mucus, when he dropped a few.

He has been back on his regular open farm salmon for about a day now.

IF it was ibd or colitis wouldnt that come up in blood work. ANd why did the antibiotic for diarrhea work for the runs to come back a week later?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Has he been tested specifically for giardia? That can cause diarrhea and mucous in poop.

I’m honestly not sure how IBD or colitis is diagnosed. There is a recent thread on here that talks about it though. There may be some helpful info in that post.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
If you think it could be side effect form the new flea/tick pill… skip a month and see how he does.

Our vet technician just talked to me about this pill, he uses it on his pups and says it works well, but I opted not to change since the pups are fine on the Sentinel and I only do a topical for ticks at beginning of summer which I use parastar. Why we are good with just once dose, I don’t know.. but I’ll take it