Do French bulldogs shed a lot?

RizRaz92

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I own a Rottweiler, but she sheds excessively. I wrote about it in my blog. Now, I am willing to buy a lilac tan Frenchie. So, I have the same question. Do French bulldogs shed a lot? Also, are there other health related problems with exotic ones? I request all French bulldog owners at this forum to please share their personal experience with me in comments. I also plan to put this information on my blog for everyone's interest.

Mavis

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I own a Rottweiler, but she sheds excessively. I wrote about it in my blog. Now, I am willing to buy a lilac tan Frenchie. So, I have the same question. Do French bulldogs shed a lot? Also, are there other health related problems with exotic ones? I request all French bulldog owners at this forum to please share their personal experience with me in comments. I also plan to put this information on my blog for everyone's interest.
We just lost our frenchie in February and now have almost a six month old frenchie puppy. I would say that they shed like any other dog whose hair is short and close to the body. He is usually on our bed or on my nap and I am petting him. When he gets up, there is a decent amount of little hairs that shed. Same thing when he is in my car - black interior and I notice his hair all over. I don't think it is anything excessive, however.

Frenchie are the best, IMO, however, they can be an expensive breed to own due to the fact that they are brachycephalic. Sometimes, I think worse than any of those issues that may present, the breed is wrought with allergies, plus you usually have a high purchase price if you are getting a puppy. "Lilac" is not a breed approved color and is considered a "designer color." He/she may cost you even more because people really like this color. I adore the breed and am glad that we have our little guy, however, they aren't the cheapest breed to own. This time around, I purchased pet insurance for our puppy ($78/mo.).

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Yes they shed a decent amount.
They doesn’t shed too much but average for a short hair dog.

Exotic colours do have more health issues usually. Frenchies in general have and are prone to tons of health issues such as airway issues(elongated soft palate, pinched/closed nostrils, small trachea, everted largneal saccules).
As well as allergies(very common), IVDD, some eye problems, skin issues and dental issues is also common because their teeth are so close together.
Urinary crystals from not drinking enough water and again this health issue can be prevented thru good diet.

You need to keep their wrinkles and folds clean, and have them on a VERY good diet as maintenance. As well as they need a sweater/jacket when it’s cold out.
No walking them in the hot weather, they can overheat easily.

Keep in mind a lot of Health issues can be prevented thru good diet and rotation of proteins(allergies for example).

Pet insurance is highly recommended.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Time of year can have something to do with it as all dogs with fur blow their coat twice a year… also if the food you are feeding isn’t good or right for them that can cause excess shedding