Does your French Bulldog dislike other dogs?

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Does anyone else have a Frenchie that cannot be around other dogs...like at ALL? If so, how do you manage? I need some tips and tricks!

It is becoming increasingly difficult for me. I think it would be a lot better if we had a fenced yard but that is not possible at the moment and in the near future. I take her for several lengthy walks per day. She is a lovebug with us but her reaction to other dogs and really ANY animal (live or on tv) is getting ridiculous. We cannot watch tv in peace...she will charge the tv and bark nonstop at commercials and shows that feature animals. She stalks and paces at the front window on the look out for other neighborhood dogs. Walking her is an absolute nightmare. I go at very odd/off/uncommon times - even getting up at 5 am to get her outside and moving around. If we see another dog approaching she loses her ever loving mind.

I had a trainer out to evaluate her a long time ago and he worked with her for about 35 minutes and I did not feel comfortable with some of the methods he was using. He said when leaving that she was "going to be a real challenge."

Anyone in the same boat? Do you just live like this? We have resorted to gating her in another room when we want to watch tv; it is a bummer because cuddling with her at night on the couch is one of the only times we get to see "sweet Daphne."

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Is this sudden or slowly progressing? ow old is she now?

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Is this sudden or slowly progressing? ow old is she now?

It is getting progressively worse. She will be 4 in December. We adopted her when she was 1. She came from a home with other animals. She attacked my Boxer upon meeting, but then they got along fine afterwards.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
You can talk to your vet about trying Prozac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
It is getting progressively worse. She will be 4 in December. We adopted her when she was 1. She came from a home with other animals. She attacked my Boxer upon meeting, but then they got along fine afterwards.

Have you tried a different trainer or was it manageable for a period of time? You may have to go with Citty suggestion and look to medication or herbal therapy to help settle her. We used Xanax for Banks as she was terrified of being in a car so we needed to calm her to take her places

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Have you tried a different trainer or was it manageable for a period of time? You may have to go with Citty suggestion and look to medication or herbal therapy to help settle her. We used Xanax for Banks as she was terrified of being in a car so we needed to calm her to take her places

I have contacted a different trainer who is supposed to come out this coming Friday. Hopefully he can help us.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
For anyone who may be interested in an update:

Daphne and I have had 2 training sessions so far with a trainer who owns a female Frenchie himself and uses positive reinforcement which I am personally more comfortable with. I am practicing with Daphne for several short sessions a day and she is doing pretty well. So far we are working on a "sit" "leave it" and "watch me" command, all together. She gets it most of the time but man, she has very little self control and she gets bored very quickly. We took her for a long walk together the other day and came across a few dogs and the trainer got to see her reaction first hand. She wasn't great with "watch me" during this time, but he was able to see that she COULD break her concentration on the other dog long enough to focus on him for a few seconds and get her treats. He was happy with that. This will be a long process, I think. I'll be happy if she even gets slightly better to where I don't have to wake up at 5 am and can walk her at a normal time of day.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Great news... long road, but there is promise for you all! Stay consistent, everyone in house must stay on the same page for it to work