Ear cleaning products

jellyfish

Reaction score
Daisy went to the vet today and the vet said that her ears were a little yeasty. She gave me a 4oz bottle of T8 Keto which contains ketoconazole. She said I can use it once a week for when I clean her ears.

I've also seen Malacetic Otic mentioned on here for ears and just recently I heard of Well and Good dry ear powder.

I can get T8 Keto and Malacetic Otic on Amazon but the Well and Good dry ear powder only appears to be available at petco.

Which product is best for weekly ear cleanings? Any other suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

hannah

Reaction score
I have Burts and bees ear cleaner. But can someone describe what the best way in detail is to go about ear cleaning??

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
The only thing I use now is an unscented baby wipe. I clean their ears with this about once a week and we don't have any problems. If the allergies are bad, I will clean more often, but usually don't have too. We used to use Malacetic Otic, and it works pretty well, but don't use it any longer as we don't have too.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have Burts and bees ear cleaner. But can someone describe what the best way in detail is to go about ear cleaning??

I usually just soak up a cotton ball with the solution and then wipe the inside of his ears with it and then squeeze the cotton ball so the solution goes into his ear.

jellyfish

Reaction score

I'll do my best to tell you exactly how my vet did it at the office yesterday. She walked me through the entire process and showed me step by step.

She took the T8 Keto and soaked half a cotton ball with it. She said to saturate it. She put it in the ear and massaged the ear with he cotton ball in it. She said she usually does it this way first because dogs typically get scared if you come at them with the straight bottle of solution. After she rubbed it for a couple of seconds, she took the cotton ball out and since Daisy was not bothered by it she took the bottle of solution and poured more (a healthy amount) straight into her ear and then she started massaging it for a few more seconds. The vet said you should be able to hear the solution squishing around inside the ear. She then let Daisy shake her head and then she took dry cotton balls and wiped out the gunk. She also took a couple of long qtips and went pretty deep but she told me to use caution when doing this because you can accidentally push gunk farther down the ear canal which is not good. She told me I can do this once a week and it should keep yeast issues and infections away.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Since she is having yeast problems I would make sure and avoid potatoes in her diet.

jellyfish

Reaction score
Since she is having yeast problems I would make sure and avoid potatoes in her diet.

Currently feeding: Fromm 4 star, grain free Beef Frittata Veg - 3rd ingredient is white potato

I chose to go with the 4 star, grain free line so that I could offer variety in my dogs diet.

Things I'm trying to avoid: Grains, Salmon, Chicken...and now White potatoes (I have no reason to believe that either of my pups is allergic to Chicken or Salmon but I've read that they are common allergies so I'm just avoiding them to be safe.)

Other flavors in 4 star grain free line:
Pork & Peas - salmon oil
Lamb & Lentil - salmon oil
Salmon Tunalini - salmon, salmon oil, chicken liver, chicken fat, salmon meal, chicken cartilage
Hasen Duckenpfeffer - white potatoes, salmon oil
Game Bird - white potatoes, chicken, chicken meal, chicken fat, salmon oil
Surf & Turf - salmon, white potatoes, chicken fat, salmon meal, chicken, salmon oil, chicken broth, chicken cartilage

My question is, how do I proceed? Every flavor seems to have something I'm trying to avoid. Should I try chicken and salmon to see if any allergies present themselves?

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Daisy went to the vet today and the vet said that her ears were a little yeasty. She gave me a 4oz bottle of T8 Keto which contains ketoconazole. She said I can use it once a week for when I clean her ears.

I've also seen Malacetic Otic mentioned on here for ears and just recently I heard of Well and Good dry ear powder.

I can get T8 Keto and Malacetic Otic on Amazon but the Well and Good dry ear powder only appears to be available at petco.

Which product is best for weekly ear cleanings? Any other suggestions?

When you have a yeast overgrowth happening, you need to blame it on the starch/sugar in their diet.
Yeast thrives on sugar, and dogs (like women) are prone to yeast overgrowth if too much starch is in the diet.

Apple Cider Vinegar (diluted with water 1/2 cup ACV and 1 cup water) can be used to clean her ears since it will create an acidic environment, but to actually solve the problem you need to cut out any sugar.