Ear issue

Foster

Reaction score
We have also had an issue with fosters ear. We have cleaned out the inside and seems to be clear of junk but he keeps itching the outside bottom of his ear about once a week which is causing t to bleed.. we will clean his ear again, apply some hydrocortisone cream and he will be fine for about a week and then he will scratch it until it bleeds again. Does anyone have any ideas on what we can do?

edwin814

Reaction score
Start looking into his diet. For Maddy, she would itch and lick her paws when she eats anything too starchy or sugary. Even food labeled grain-free and gluten-free isn't enough. I had to avoid anything with white potato, sweet potato, fruits and veggie with high sugar content. And keep the carb as low as possible.

Foster

Reaction score
We feed him the Royal canin French bulldog food. Have you heard any good/bad with this? We are very new to French bulldogs and we were going off what he ate as a puppy before we got him

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Royal Canin is not a high quality food. You can check out www.dogfoodadvisor for recommendations on better quality kibble. RC is very high in carbohydrates and that could be causing the issue.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Royal Canin is not a high quality food. You can check out www.dogfoodadvisor for recommendations on better quality kibble. RC is very high in carbohydrates and that could be causing the issue.

Totally agree... RC is a lot of fillers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I agree, Royal Canin isn't the best. Try another food, maybe a grain free one and see if that helps.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I agree with changing the food as food allergies can cause excessive wax buildup, and Royal Canin is not a high quality food. However my dog is on a high quality dog food and still produces a lot of wax and if it builds up she starts scratching at it, so I don't let it build up. I would say to clean his ears out twice a week. Personally, I flush the ears with Zymox otic drops once a week ( on a Friday ) , and on Tuesday I use a cosmetic pad with a witch hazel solution on it to wipe the wax out of the ear ( 5 drops of clove oil, 5 drops of tea tree oil in 2 oz witch hazel ) . I use the witch hazel solution on Tuesdays as a wax removal, and the Zymox flush on Friday as a deep cleaning and disinfecting.