Elevated ALT Liver Enzyme

Cookie

Reaction score
Hello!

Cookie, my Frenchie born February 7th, has had her spaying delayed due to an elevated ALT Liver Enzyme. The normal range is 120 and she’s testing around 545. As I understand it, ALT leaks from damaged cells, so it could be a liver issue, or it could be something else. Other than her elevated ALT, her liver function is testing normal. She’s active, energetic, doesn’t drink or eat excessively, and is in entirely good health otherwise. Though I should note that she sheds quite a bit - sometimes it seems like handfuls at a time.

The vet has suggested proceeding with a test to determine her blood clotting times (as liver function can slow clotting) and has suggested a liver biopsy.

Has anyone had this same experience? I’m seeking wisdom from experienced Frenchie owners! Could diet play a part? She’s been on NutriSource puppy kibble (I add a little Flax Oil and FortiFlora). I’ve read that some Frenchies have trouble processing certain types of protein – could this be the culprit and could a diet change be needed? If so, any suggestions? I’d read rave reviews about raw diets, or a half-raw half-kibble diet.

Any insights very appreciated!!

Laura

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to FBN ... I have no experience but have tagged a couple members that might be able to give some insight on raw feeding.

turbodave

Reaction score
Our Bitty just went through this. What caused her problem was very heavy bacteria in the mouth and several teeth that needed extracting! Although her numbers weren't as high ( upper 300's). The vet put her on heavy antibiotics for a few weeks and her liver number headed down fast. Tomorrow is her final blood test to see if it's near normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alice Kable

Reaction score
:smileywelcome: to you and Cookie. I have no experience with this but if you trust your vet I most certainly would tell him/her to be aggressive in testing for the cause.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I don't know anything about it, but just a suggestion to see if it helps, I would stop the flax oil and see if that helps. The FortiFlora I would continue. Plus does your vet send out the blood samples to a lab? If not, I would get a second opinion.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your dog's illness. The good part is that once you figure out what's wrong and fix it, your dog will be fine since the liver is the only organ in the body capable of regenerating.

turbodave

Reaction score
Bitty's numbers didn't go down with antibiotics as we had hoped. Actually went up. So the next step is X-ray and ultra sounds. [emoji45]

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I hope the vets can figure out what's happening with Bitty and Cookie. In the meantime it can't hurt to try giving your dog Denamarin ( milk thistle + SAMe ) or just milk thistle. The silybin in milk thistle is great for detoxifying liver damage eg. from mushroom poisoning. I haven't heard of any major side effects from it.

mhuinker

Reaction score
Try some milk thistle .... !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

turbodave

Reaction score
Going to get some today!

Cookie

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm curious why you're suggesting eliminating the flax?

turbodave01

Reaction score
Bitty's levels haven't dropped. As a matter of fact t they've shot up, now over 2000. We had to take her back in today for 3 days of IV treatment. :-(
Antibiotics just didn't work.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Bitty's levels haven't dropped. As a matter of fact t they've shot up, now over 2000. We had to take her back in today for 3 days of IV treatment. :-(
Antibiotics just didn't work.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Sending strong prayers for your baby

turbodave

Reaction score
We're praying for her too. [emoji25]

turbodave

Reaction score
Our Bitty is still in the hospital[emoji45]. We visit her twice a day. She's been in there for 5 days now on heavy fluids to flush her liver, and liver specific Meds.

Her ALT numbers were well over 2000 when we took her in, thank God her number today is is just over 1200. Still high but nearly cut in half from what they were.

d85dd088fea41024364f28bf404c46ca.jpg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Our Bitty is still in the hospital[emoji45]. We visit her twice a day. She's been in there for 5 days now on heavy fluids to flush her liver, and liver specific Ned's.

Her ALT numbers were well over 2000 when we took her in, thank God her number today is is just over 1200. Still high but nearly cut in half from what they were.

d85dd088fea41024364f28bf404c46ca.jpg

Continued prayers :pray:

turbodave

Reaction score
Bitty's improving daily and is home with us! She still has to get a quick fluid injection every other day for a week or so.

3d45efb50ea1225f54fcc7f232dc6c7c.jpg

2b0bb0d47b5ca5313ca4890f8f89929e.jpg

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Congratulations !!! Was the liver failure coming from dental infection , and just took a while to resolve ?

Mavis

Reaction score
What an angel. Please keep writing about her progress.

God bless.