excessive Hair loss , dark areas of it help!

Jessm18

Reaction score
Hey everyone I am look to get some advice regarding my dog hair loss , wondering if it’s the weather change or allergies? I took her to the vet and he didn’t really seem to concerned and told me “ you can never stop a dog from shedding” which I understand she sheds on a normal basis but not like this. He prescribed her Apoquel. A little bit about my pup is that she is 10 months old , I feed her Purina Pro Plan *Lamb and rice recipe , Nature Vet probiotic chews, Grizzly salmon oil, Pure Bites dried Treats & Beef Bone Broth. I will appreciate any advice. I have done research and no clear answer if anyone can help I will be extremely thankful. I have attached pictures of it.

Attachments

• 897496A2-DDBC-449C-87C5-F61858F8DB3A.jpeg
    897496A2-DDBC-449C-87C5-F61858F8DB3A.jpeg
    446.7 KB · Views: 5

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
First thing I would do is switch to a higher quality food. Purina is not the best. Some good brands are Zignature, Acana, Earthborn Holistics, Stella & Chewy, Open Farm just to name a few.

If she has environmental allergies, I like Cytopoint injections over Apoquel. But those are both more for itching.

I would start with the food change and see if you notice a difference.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hey everyone I am look to get some advice regarding my dog hair loss , wondering if it’s the weather change or allergies? I took her to the vet and he didn’t really seem to concerned and told me “ you can never stop a dog from shedding” which I understand she sheds on a normal basis but not like this. He prescribed her Apoquel. A little bit about my pup is that she is 10 months old , I feed her Purina Pro Plan *Lamb and rice recipe , Nature Vet probiotic chews, Grizzly salmon oil, Pure Bites dried Treats & Beef Bone Broth. I will appreciate any advice. I have done research and no clear answer if anyone can help I will be extremely thankful. I have attached pictures of it.

I also definitely recommend switching her to a better high quality food.

Other good kibbles are(in addition to what Cbrugs listed):
Carna4
Natures logic
Orijen

Gently cooked foods lower in carbs:
Open farm gently cooked
Raised right pet foods

Raw diet is another good option.

I definitely recommend trying grain free and see if that makes a difference(a lot of Frenchies are allergic to grains and chicken sometimes lamb too) maybe try avoiding those and see if it helps.

If she is not itchy I would try to get her off apoquel as it does more harm than good with lots of side effects(if she is itchy, try Cytopoint like Cbrugs mentioned).

If she is itchy you can try Bovine colostrum which helps with allergies issues and immune boost.

Great for having her on omega 3 and probiotics and bone broth! Those will help the immune system boost and help with inflammation!

If it’s allergies related to environmental, try giving a bath a 1-2 times a week or as needed and when she comes in from outside, wipe her paws with a wet cloth(this will help if she is allergic to grass/mold by keeping allergies off her paws if she has any).

Any red skin, bumps, itchy paws or skin??? Other than the fur loss?? If it’s just fur loss it might not be allergies, but still recommend getting her on a better food!

Keep us updated!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree with the gang… food change is needed