Eye infection not clearing up

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Rusty has an eye infection again(he has had 10 eye infections in the past 2 years due to his environmental allergies), which his allergies are being treated with supplements, good diet and dermatologist and topical treatments.

I took him to the vet 2 weeks ago, they gave him Tobradex eye drops which has always cleared up his eye infections in the past. They said do it for 10 days for the drops 2x a day. It’s usually cleared up by day 5. No improvement, we have been told by another vet to try another product which is a gel in his eyes(both eyes are infected). That treatment was supposed to be for 5 days and has cleared up the last eye infection by day 3.

His eye infection has not cleared up at all with any of these treatments from the vet unfortunately.

For any of you that have had dogs with eye infections, what did you use to get rid of the eye infection???
It’s been almost 3 weeks since the eye infection started and I took him to vet within 2 days of seeing the eye infections.

Any ideas of natural things that might help clear it up???

His allergies have been decent lately, no major flare ups.

Just worried about his eyes not getting better!

Anyone have any ideas of what I can try next? Or what has worked for others in the past?? Is there something you used before that has worked that I can ask my vet for??

Also what do you guys use to clean the wrinkles with?? I am trying to find decent wrinkle wipes that are safe to use around the eyes to prevent the infection from going to his wrinkles.
I have tried a few medicated wipes for his wrinkles and he runs away cause he doesn’t like the smell and I think they irritate his face for some reason.

Any suggestions??

Mavis

Reaction score
Rusty has an eye infection again(he has had 10 eye infections in the past 2 years due to his environmental allergies), which his allergies are being treated with supplements, good diet and dermatologist and topical treatments.

I took him to the vet 2 weeks ago, they gave him Tobradex eye drops which has always cleared up his eye infections in the past. They said do it for 10 days for the drops 2x a day. It’s usually cleared up by day 5. No improvement, we have been told by another vet to try another product which is a gel in his eyes(both eyes are infected). That treatment was supposed to be for 5 days and has cleared up the last eye infection by day 3.

His eye infection has not cleared up at all with any of these treatments from the vet unfortunately.

For any of you that have had dogs with eye infections, what did you use to get rid of the eye infection???
It’s been almost 3 weeks since the eye infection started and I took him to vet within 2 days of seeing the eye infections.

Any ideas of natural things that might help clear it up???

His allergies have been decent lately, no major flare ups.

Just worried about his eyes not getting better!

Anyone have any ideas of what I can try next? Or what has worked for others in the past?? Is there something you used before that has worked that I can ask my vet for??

Also what do you guys use to clean the wrinkles with?? I am trying to find decent wrinkle wipes that are safe to use around the eyes to prevent the infection from going to his wrinkles.
I have tried a few medicated wipes for his wrinkles and he runs away cause he doesn’t like the smell and I think they irritate his face for some reason.

Any suggestions??
I'm so sorry and wish I could help. They are such a worry. So hard when you are doing everything you can.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I'm so sorry and wish I could help. They are such a worry. So hard when you are doing everything you can.

I know I worry too much, I’m sure you do about your dogs too😊
Thanks. I know he has had so many(more than 10 in the past 2 years) and he is only 3 and they have all cleared up with these treatments and only lasted for like 10 days at most. Unfortunately this time it’s not going away and been almost 3 weeks☹️

I think it’s from his environmental allergies and him going on walks and an allergen must have irritated it enough, since everything is in bloom and pollen is out.
I put eye wash in his eyes every day to prevent this but unfortunately this time it didn’t do much.

Mavis

Reaction score
I know I worry too much, I’m sure you do about your dogs too😊
Thanks. I know he has had so many(more than 10 in the past 2 years) and he is only 3 and they have all cleared up with these treatments and only lasted for like 10 days at most. Unfortunately this time it’s not going away and been almost 3 weeks☹️

I think it’s from his environmental allergies and him going on walks and an allergen must have irritated it enough, since everything is in bloom and pollen is out.
I put eye wash in his eyes every day to prevent this but unfortunately this time it didn’t do much.
Can you wipe his eyes after he comes in with a damp washcloth? Good luck. :(

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Not sure how to treat the eye infections. We only have experience with ulcers of the eye although Jake does suffer from environmental allergies that do not affect his eyes. What about seeing an opthalmologist? Maybe something else is going on with his eyes.
I use a wipe to clean Jake's folds near the eyes called Optixcare. You can get them on chewy.
Good luck!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Not sure how to treat the eye infections. We only have experience with ulcers of the eye although Jake does suffer from environmental allergies that do not affect his eyes. What about seeing an opthalmologist? Maybe something else is going on with his eyes.
I use a wipe to clean Jake's folds near the eyes called Optixcare. You can get them on chewy.
Good luck!

Vets keep saying his eyes are good other than the infection. No ulcers or anything, just infection.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Can you wipe his eyes after he comes in with a damp washcloth? Good luck. :(

I put eye drops in as maintenance every night and I’m cleaning his wrinkles, he doesn’t really go outside other than to pee and a walk.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheli gets eye infections, but the few times, they clear up within a week. Our vet always gives two different drops when it happens, I don’t have any on hand but I’ll see if I still have the invoice with the names of them

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Cheli gets eye infections, but the few times, they clear up within a week. Our vet always gives two different drops when it happens, I don’t have any on hand but I’ll see if I still have the invoice with the names of them

Rusty’s usually clear up within a week too, but this time it didn’t.
That would be great if you could find out the products that you used!😊

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Sorry for delay…. Neo poly Bac Opthalmic and Biohance ocular repair gel

Ok thank you for letting me know, do you buy it from the vet or can you get it elsewhere??

I think his eye infection has cleared up, it took long time. But in future it should be good to know the options that work in case the stuff we usually use doesn’t work.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok thank you for letting me know, do you buy it from the vet or can you get it elsewhere??

I think his eye infection has cleared up, it took long time. But in future it should be good to know the options that work in case the stuff we usually use doesn’t work.
I believe it is prescription based