FAQ: House Train French Bulldog?

drew086

Reaction score
Hello I was wondering if some one can help me with some advice on leaving my frenchie home alone. He is created trained as well as potty trained, but when i leave him alone for a few hours i come home to presents left everywhere and my house in a mess, he destroy everything. I feel like if I have to leave the house i need to create him so nothing gets destroyed any advice would be great thanks a lot

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
That's what I suggest, crate him when you are gone, that's what we do. Keeps them safe and out of trouble.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I would crate him or block him in one Frenchie proof room so he can't destroy the whole house!

eeturk

Reaction score
Our Frenchie wasn't allowed to roam free until we knew he could handle it. Until then, he was crated while we were gone. Until they can be accident and destruction free for a few hours while unsupervised, they should be crated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tgirl

Reaction score
I agree, I would crate him when I wasn't there to watch him.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
We confine Jax to the kitchen when he is home alone and will probably never let him have free roam of the house.

shortstuff

Reaction score
It's important to not give too much freedom too quickly. We used to crate Bisou when we left, then decided to try leaving her in the kitchen one day. She had an accident, so we decided to keep crating her and testing her until she was ready. She graduated to being kept in the kitchen while we were gone with no surprises. We've tested her a couple times by letting her out in the living room and kitchen while we're gone (no bedrooms yet!) and she's done well at 15-30 minutes alone. Every time we got ahead of ourselves and gave her too much freedom, she didn't know what do to with it and made messes. Take it gradually! Spend at least a couple weeks on crate training, then upgrade the size of the area she's left in until she's totally comfortable on her own.

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
My boys are left outside in our yard when we are not home. If it's too cold or rainy they have access to our garage. I never leave my dogs unattended in our home. If we do, it's always been met with issues like getting into something, eating food in the pantry, etc.....

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
I like to use an ex pen in the house with a bed, chews and water. I feel a crate is too confining for long periods. It has worked well for us until they are old enough to roam inside the home without supervision. Of course we have had little mishaps, but nothing crazy. I close off as many doors as possible and they have a dog door to the side yard to do their business.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Crate training is the way to go. Wally was just over a year old when stopped crating him and let him roam free. He's never had any accidents or never has chewed anything. Both dogs are very good when left alone. I'm sure if Wally was an only dog it would have taken longer. He follows Uma's lead a lot and thankfully she's smart and is not destructive of our stuff.

nerja10

Reaction score
ramos our frenchie is crated when we are out as he cant be trusted not to destroy something,he has been crate trained from very young so hes used to being in the crate,he never moans or crys and can sleep till late morning as he can be a lazy little pig !! we tried him once in the hallway and shut doors so he could have the freedom of running upstairs etc but he wrecked the place ! phone wire chewed off wall and played footy with one of our plant pots and scattered the soil everywhere and destroyed his bed so yes i would crate when your not at home