FAQ: How did you survive the puppy teething phase?

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
FAQ: How did you survive puppy teething?

Also known as the shark phase! Please give any tips, tricks and advice you have for new puppy owners!

#FAQ

Schimpfy

Reaction score
I always thought I was the only one and I was doing something wrong,thanks to EBN and FBN I posted and found out it is common and it was not my fault,
I was toId it does get better and to substitute / offer a chew toy and say no bite. I try and tell people do not play tug of war until they learn not to bite
Be consistent and have everyone doing the same, if he continues put him in his pen or a time out he will soon learn he can not bite if he wants to spend time with you.
Stick with it, it is so worth the cuddles in the long run

blushy

Reaction score
We have about 6 nylabones, Isabelle basically caught on that those were what she was to chew... Not sure if we got extremely lucky or... But I'd suggest investing in the larger nylabones from the get-go and not the puppy ones. They get destroyed too quickly for my liking.

nikki86

Reaction score
Nylabone bones are dangerous to frenchies and so are rope toys and this is per the veterinarian when zeta almost died from both toys. Deer antlers and water buffalo horns are the safest and kept zeta from chewing on the walls

blushy

Reaction score
Nylabone bones are dangerous to frenchies and so are rope toys and this is per the veterinarian when zeta almost died from both toys. Deer antlers and water buffalo horns are the safest and kept zeta from chewing on the walls

Isabelle hasn't had a problem with the nylabones?

She almost choked to death on a teething bone, though.

mmclean

Reaction score
Radar really liked the bullysticks and that saved my furniture, the Himalayan dog chews might also be an option. I didn't know about them when he was teething.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nikki86

Reaction score
We have not used the Billysticks just due to cost vs how long they last but they look great

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
I never had any issues with nylabones. When they are chewed to the point of being a problem (pointy ends) I throw it out and buy new ones.

I love giving the pups bully sticks but they are pricey so they are only a once-in-a-while treat.

I'm lucky that both dogs did not chew anything in my house. They chew their chew toys only. Rope is not for chewing, just for tug-o-war.

nikki86

Reaction score
I took green dish soap and put it on my hands and rubbed it on the corners and base boards Becuase zeta was eating the walls and then I would sit with the soap on my hands and when she bit me she freaked out and pounced at my hand a few times and then went for her toys instead

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
If possible! Yes! [emoji1]

That is how we got Cheli! He was an owner surrender to our vet at 5 months, very sick little guy. At 8 months when he was all healthy... Our vet gave him to us after the loss of one of our Bulldogs.

blushy

Reaction score
That is how we got Cheli! He was an owner surrender to our vet at 5 months, very sick little guy. At 8 months when he was all healthy... Our vet gave him to us after the loss of one of our Bulldogs.

That is really great! I would totally adopt a puppy at that age! They might take a little extra time to adjust and learn (depending on the pup) but so worth it!

Cheli is a super cute name, too! [emoji4]

EnzosDad

Reaction score
My pug was a complete terror always drawing blood from us and chewing up our clothes, shoes, furniture, anything. Our French bulldog was a angel though and never teethed on us or furniture or our possessions. He only used his bones and thats it. I was lucky with him. Try a elk bone or a nylabone durachew which really worked for our pug.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

warren peace

Reaction score
I agree with many on here. Be aware of the chew toys and products on the market. A quick review of recall websites indicate those products with a "safety concern" i.e. pet deaths. I am very impressed with the wealth of information on this website. Great stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while walking my Frenchie.

Kstrooz

Reaction score
Hey Bullmama!

Louie is 10 weeks and I've had great success purchasing Nylabone puppy chews of various kinds on Amazon. I think I got about $60-70 worth of stuff for $27 on Amazon.

He currently chews his crate from time to time while I'm away and yesterday was the first time he started chewing on the end of his pee pad.

I have found the biggest battle is not their teeth but their attention.

Get a squeaky fluffy toy. Louie loves his stuffed duck with squeaker. When he's chewing I don't want him to chew I give him a firm "NO" and squeak the toy to grab his attention.

Because he's so young, his mouth isn't quite large enough to squeak it yet so that really gets him excited and will occupy him for about 5min.

Hope this helps.

shortstuff

Reaction score
Bisou's only real 'teething' problem was biting faces. She'd lunge up at us during play and clip us on the nose or chin and actually drew blood on my mom once... after about a month of both re-routing her and bopping her on the nose when she does it, she's been free of this behavior ever since. She'd shred potty pads for the very short time we actually had them and would chew on her toy box (our fault, we didn't leave her with any real chew toys) but otherwise she entered and left her teething phase very quickly. Bisou had lots of squeaky toys and we discovered early on that she loves crinkly sounding toys. Our shepherd mix got a hold of her Nylabone (oh boy) and after that we stuck with only edible chew toys. We got them a deer antler and it's been such a joy! I can't really offer many suggestions considering Bisou wasn't much of a teether, but everyone else as had some great ideas!

nikki86

Reaction score
Unrelated. How do you start a new post???

Tgirl

Reaction score
Unrelated. How do you start a new post???

To start a new thread, you will need to click "forum" at the top of the page. Then go to the category you want to post in and click on it. Above the threads on the right you will see "forum tools", so click on that, then choose "post a new thread".