FAQ: How Do You Keep Your French Bulldog's Tail Pocket Clean?

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Does your Frenchie have a tail pocket? What do you clean it with, and how often do you clean it? Please share your experiences with the group!

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
I use a baby wipe with witch hazel or skin cleaner on it for normal cleanings, if I find any gunk or foul smell I will use malacetic otic ultra or panalog ointment. Both of those can clear it up in no time, but they do NOT like the malacetic otic ultra at all..... they :rundog: all over after I use it.

mhuinker

Reaction score
The article states to use something with a drying agent in it. What would be a good product with a drying agent? I haven't had any issues with their tail pockets yet, and really, only Molly has a good size tail pocket. Leo does not have one.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
The article states to use something with a drying agent in it. What would be a good product with a drying agent? I haven't had any issues with their tail pockets yet, and really, only Molly has a good size tail pocket. Leo does not have one.

Witch Hazel .....

iblastoff

Reaction score
for fiona, we clean her twice a day. we use malecetic wipes (which has drying agent) and spray it with drying ear cleaning solution onto the wipe to help with any yeast. we try to get up into her tail pocket as deep as possible as well as surrounding areas. its been a battle as she randomly starts scooting every once in a while. unfortunately the only times she has stopped is when she goes on an oral antibiotic. we're trying to find more permanent solutions outside of amputation.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Wally doesn't seem to have a tail pocket but after reading about it on this forum I have started to clean it with baby wipes anyway, just to make sure all is good with his bum.

iblastoff

Reaction score
Wally doesn't seem to have a tail pocket but after reading about it on this forum I have started to clean it with baby wipes anyway, just to make sure all is good with his bum.

just be wary of baby wipes.

we saw this link before: http://www.keepthetailwagging.com/baby-wipes-dogs/ but wasn't sure if there was any validity behind it. it could be just some company that makes dog wipes and wants people to avoid the much cheaper baby wipes.

blushy

Reaction score
I use huggies natural aloe & vitamin E baby wipes on isabelle and Titan when needed for their butts. Isabelle doesn't have a tail pocket but Titan has a very very short clamped down tail and I can't confirm if he has one or not, but this thread will come in very handy if he does!

I also have John Paul dog bath wipes from the doggy salon :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruben

Reaction score
I have used wipes with aloe oatmeal on it. I wipe her after every poop. she already swuats for me when i take her to the bathroom. its funny she knows the routine.