FAQ: How far and how often do you walk your Frenchie?

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you take your Frenchie for regular walks? if so, how far do you usually go and how many times a week?

Please share your walking experiences :walk:

#FAQ

Schimpfy

Reaction score
This question has so many variations weather, age, health, location etc.
On a hot day early morning and late evenings and usually 2x daily, nice day 2 - 4 x daily pup = 1/4 -1/2 mile other 1 mile plus
Rainy days 2 - 3 x daily If my dog is not well a block or two is enough maybe even no walking

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
When nice and cool we will walk Cheli for about mins, but since we have a 3/4 acre fenced in yard... he gets lots of running/exercise back there

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on weather, maybe for about 30 minutes.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
We live in Calif. and generally temps. are mild, but lately we have had an unseasonably hot, humid summer on the coast. So in those circumstances, we try and walk early in the am for 20 - 30 mins. and then after sunset 20 - 30 mins. everyday. Sometimes we walk to the beach for some fetch or we all go out to lunch to a dog friendly cafรฉ if it's not too warm.

eeturk

Reaction score
It's super hot here, but we have no backyard so he has to go for walks. We try to keep them short in the daytime, probably less than 10 minutes, and then a few 20-30 minute walks, probably one in the morning and two in the evening on average. We are trying to improve his leash habits currently too, so walking more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
We have a nice sized backyard but I still insist on walks. I power walk in the morning and they are able to keep up with me, approx 30-40 minutes. I take lots of time outs for Wally to have a drink and for Uma to sniff. I get home from work pretty late so in the evening it's just a 10-20 min walk.

If it's really hot, and thankfully it was a cool summer, we only go on a short walk. If it's super cold or rainy I exercise them in the house as best I can.

GizmoAndLola

Reaction score
I try to take Gizmo for a 40 minute walk every day. This obviously changes depending on the weather. If it's too hot or raining I usually don't end up taking him out, I do have a decent sized backyard though so he has plenty of space to run around.

Carly

Reaction score
Herbie would love to be outside as much as we will let him. I usually let him outside to run around with my parents' lab cumulatively an hour a day, then a 40 minute walk in the evening. The amount of time he's outside doesn't really fluctuate because I adjust the time of day to the predicted temperature.

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
Gus is just over five months old. I used to not take him for walks at all. At first because he hadn't had all of his puppy shots, and then just because I didn't think about it too much. I knew he was getting more than enough exercise, with as much as we played fetch in my fenced in backyard.

However, one night I decided to take him on a short walk to drop something off at a neighbor's house and noticed that he was scared of cars passing by. I guess on previous short trips we hadn't come across any cars. Every since then we have been taking walks at night, as often as possible. He desensitized to the car noises pretty quickly and absolutely LOVES his walks. He is so friendly and sociable with both people and dogs and gets super excited when I ask him if he wants to go on a walk.

We probably only go about 1/2 mile, and VERY slowly, as he has lots of sniffing an visiting to do. :D

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Walks are the highlight of Buster's day. When it is hot like it is now (90s) I take him early in the morning when it is still in the 40s-50s! He does a whole of sniffing and peeing and spreading his smell. We usually see some neighbors walking early so we get to socialize, too!

Stef

Reaction score
Toby loves his daily walks to the dog park. He usually spends about an hour running around each day with other dogs. The only problem is trying to walk home as he is usually puffed out and likes to lie on the floor instead. Does anyone else have a similar experience?