FAQ: What do you feed your Frenchie?

james1991

Reaction score
Only insect food . It’s really the only thing that stopped our allergy issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oskars Keeper

Reaction score
Oskar loves beef, lamb, and especially pork from Primal. He gets runny eyes with the chicken. We tried Small Batch duck and that was runny eyes, runny nose, and diarrhea. So I think we are going to stay away from our feathered friends :facepalm:

Repose

Reaction score
My 14 week old puppy came with adult formula kibble and was pretty noticeably gassy. I didn’t think adult formula was great for a developing pup at his age so I did some light internet research. I was pretty convinced from what I read about raw feeding so I went with the prepared complete formulas from Primal. There was a massive difference within 2 days, smaller and better smelling poops, less water intake and virtually no gas. He would leave plenty of kibble in the bowl and would go back as he wished, but I wanted him to be on a regular feeding schedule and I was super pleased that he was gobbling up the raw nuggets.

I had no problems with Primal but wanted to see what else was available and came across a local farm that raises their own livestock and produces raw formulas for dogs and puppies as well as tripe and digestible bones and whatnot. The brand is K9 Choice Pet Foods and I am so glad I discovered them. Primal being imported from California to Alberta could be a bit pricey and I was willing to pay it no matter what, but this is a much better option for me as it’s local, I can speak with the lovely people that own the farm and it’s so much more economical. Anyway, I’ll throw in a strong recommendation for K9 Choice if you live in Canada and are looking for a very decent raw option.

My pup is currently on the llama formula and dances for it at feeding time.

DonnaAliff01

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the group. I recently got a 4 month old frenchie named Sammy Jo. The breeder had her on RoyalCanine. Since I brought her home she has had runny, soft stools. She did have giardia for which she was treated and is now all clear. I switched her toWellness Complete HealthPuppy. Seemed to be getting better. But now we areback to runny stools.I know its probably food related. Do I try another brand? I've heard Fromm,Nutro, Natural Balance are all good.not sure what to do. Help!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the group. I recently got a 4 month old frenchie named Sammy Jo. The breeder had her on RoyalCanine. Since I brought her home she has had runny, soft stools. She did have giardia for which she was treated and is now all clear. I switched her toWellness Complete HealthPuppy. Seemed to be getting better. But now we areback to runny stools.I know its probably food related. Do I try another brand? I've heard Fromm,Nutro, Natural Balance are all good.not sure what to do. Help!

Some of the higher quality brands are Fromm, Acana, Orijen, Zignature, Earthborn Holistics. If you wanted to try a dehydrated raw, there is The Honest Kitchen or Grandma Lucy's. Try to stick to one protein at a time for a month before switching to a different protein so if there is a reaction, it will be easier to identify.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Also make sure you are not feeding too much as that can cause loose stools. Always gradually switch foods over at least a week. Try adding some canned pumpkin ( not the pie filling one ) to thicken the stools. If none of this helps she may need another round of fenbendazole for giardia, even though she seems clear.

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

We all know that the French Bulldog is a cute pet. There are some few steps that you can feed your Frenchie dog.
Basically they are so gentle. They also are known as Frenchie.

I feed to Frenchie dog is VeRUS Puppy Advantage Chicken Meal, Oats and Brown Rice Holistic Formula.
Because it is an easy-to-digest & holistic food. In this meal contains DHA which is proper brain development & probiotics for digestion. Also contains omega-3 fish oils, chelated minerals & vitamins.
Besides this food have no chemicals or additives. The main Features is this food have VeRUS which is great for growing French Bulldog.

Main Ingredients: Ground Oats, Ground Brown Rice, Chicken Meal (cage-free, US-grown, antibiotic-free), Chicken Fat
Protein: 23%
Fat: 15%
Fiber: 4%
Calories: 399 kcal

After feeding this food to my Frenchie dog amazingly Frenchie became so much healthy and grow fastly.
I recommend this food is best for French Bulldog.

For FRENCHIE FOOD CALCULATOR & FRENCHIE WEIGHT CALCULATOR Visit : www.frenchiestore.com

Last edited:

pmenchavez

Reaction score
We've dealt with Mochi's chronic diarrhea when she was a pup and after many vet visits, figured out she has a sensitive stomach. She's doing very well on Hill's Prescription "z/d" diet for skin/food sensitivities, mostly canned with mixed in z/d kibble. We also add a supplement of Fortiflora probiotic powder to her meals.

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
oh my, we've gone through so many in about a year. What we found out is Charlie is a picky eater when it comes to kibbles.

Here is what is somewhat working for us.

Morning- 3-4oz Open Farm gently cooked recipe depending on which package size we buy. We cut it into 4 squares.. Currently rotating between surf & turf and just beef. Rounded 1/2 cup of Open Farm kibble with ancient grain. Started with beef, went to salmon, now on lamb.

Evenings- 1/2 cup of Open Farm freeze-dried. We have all the different flavors except poultry options. 1/2 cup of kibble.

Our dog has not been a fan of any kibble. She will not eat them unless there's some sort of topper or she's very hungry from the hunger strike. Prob wont use the lamb kibble anymore though. Seems to a bit gassier and eyes a little goopy in the morning. We found she does like Beneful beef kibble but not sure if it's bc the other dog was eating that. Would save a bunch of money if we got that route but seems pretty crappy ingredients.

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
Thinking about kibble from the above post inspired me to look for more options. My goal is to find a kibble that Charlie actually wants to eat it, is nutritious and without any nasty side effects. Get away from the frozen food. Will add a bit of freeze dried to change things up a bit.

I definitely did not want to try Beneful. We've stayed mostly away from any recipes that has legumes and any form of potatoes, even if they've been highly rated or recommended. We figured legumes=gas and also due to DCM concerns.

Well we decided to expend our selections a bit. Acana Single Beef&Pumpkin sounds good on paper. 1/2 the legumes than before. Wouldn't mind if it was 0 or much lower on the ingredient list. No other potatoes besides sweet potatoes. The Acana +Wholesome Grains looks promising too. Went with the red meat protein. No legumes and has grains in it. Does seem high in starch. Do wish it was also just single protein but maybe that will expand down the road.

We've been buying most of the food at a couple local boutique shops but found both varieties available at the local Petco. Never been inside this one before even though it's under 10 mins away.

Got home was anxious to give them a try. I've been testing out kibble doing the treat test. Both varieties passed! Granted, it's only been a day but I've done the test twice now. I follow up with her Open Farm kibble and she sniffs and sits back. Lol spoiled brat.

Started mixing in the Single today. Gonna see how she responds once completely transitioned.

kristynvarghese

Reaction score
Our 7 year old is on Stella and Chew’s Frozen beef right now. He is having some major paw licking and recurring infections (just did a Temaril-P course .... never do that again and simplicef and after about day 3 of TP he was back at chewing his paws.) We may try a different protein but he is so picky I have to hand feed him half the time[emoji21]. Our 2 year old for some reason can’t keep the raw down and throws it up.... so he is on Canidae Pure petite raw coated limited ingredient small breed salmon kibble. I like that it’s limited ingredient so one protein source but it does have peas which the older dog is sensitive to. I thought about switching to the canidae pure ancestral fish freeze dried raw coated (it is not small breed which at this point this boy is 33lbs all muscle) as it does not have any peas etc but has multiple fish proteins.

We have used Acana and we were fine with it until they randomly changed the formula without notice adding chickpeas causing a reaction in our dog. We have also used honest kitchen for a while when we had a paralyzed incontinent dog who needed to be expressed and it was decent for her stool texture and easy for her to lay down and eat.

Also, before frenchies with a chow mix and an American bulldog we used Taste of the wild and they did well on it. I am sure I have left some out as we tried a few over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LdyCjn

Reaction score
When I brought my Frenchie home a year ago, I started him on Nutro Ultra Puppy. He’s currently eating the Adult version and is doing great. I also own Shih Tzu’s and had started them on this food over 16 years ago. All have done really well on this food with no allergies or skin issues. This food is also keeping down the gas.

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
So the past week or so, it appears Charlie has decided she no longer cares for Acana Singles. So almost 6 months, best so far.

She'll hold off her 8am breakfast until about 3pm or so. She will still usually eat her dinner too at about 5 or 6.

My partner didn't realize Singles is a grain free diet. Told her it's no big deal but she thinks we go to a grain inclusive offering.

Saw The Honest Kitchen has a grain inclusive cluster offering. Found out the local Petco also carries it, a small 5# bag to try.

The cluster passed the treat test. Charlie also ate her breakfast on time when I added 4 clusters to her kibble.