FAQ: Winter booties for bullies?

SumoMom

Reaction score
First of all; do Frenchies need foot protection in extreme temps? We live in NE Wisconsin where it often gets below zero. I doubt my Frenchies will need booties just to run out to do their business but I am wondering about when I want to put on their jackets and take them for a longer walk? If so, are there any brands or styles you can recommend?

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I would say yes to the booties. The way I see it, if it;s too hot or too cold for my bare feet, it;s too hot or too cold for them. I don't have any suggestion on which kind to get, because it doesn't get cold enough down here to wear them. Hopefully some members who live up north will chime in. :)

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I got booties for an English Bulldog in the mid 1990's. They were leather and were ones that sled dogs used. It took half an hour to get them on him and he had all 4 off in minutes. He was a year old and I might have been more successful had I started booting him when he was a baby.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
I don't have booties for Wally but I do use Invisible Boots' which is like a wax that I apply on his foot pads. It's the same stuff that are used on sled dogs.

Booties take way too long to put on and both dogs refuse to move when they are on so I had to go with the wax. When it's that cold our walks are very short anyway, I just want them to have protection from the salt. The snow doesn't bother their paws.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't have booties for Wally but I do use Invisible Boots' which is like a wax that I apply on his foot pads. It's the same stuff that are used on sled dogs.

Booties take way too long to put on and both dogs refuse to move when they are on so I had to go with the wax. When it's that cold our walks are very short anyway, I just want them to have protection from the salt. The snow doesn't bother their paws.

I have never tried booties but Jax refuses to move when I put anything on him. When he was younger he didn't seem to mind wearing a sweatshirt but now, it's like his body is frozen and he just stands there and gives me the stink eye.

SumoMom

Reaction score
Thank you to all who replied re booties for bullies. I think Nikki's video of Zeta said it all (LOL). In the event we do go for a walk when it's cold I will be sure to use some paw protection. I had Mukluk's for our Great Dane but never got the chance to use them. They seem like overkill for Frenchies though so I was thinking along the lines of socks with leather or vinyl soles.

ZRose

Reaction score
I don't have a frenchie yet but do use booties for my dog since it gets icy down here and I don't want ice in her precious little paws.
Also for those of you with Batpigs go look up the Brand Snorf tey make hats and snow suits that are meant for lil batpigs so ear hats to cover their precious ears without damaging them.