Flea & tick and heart worm meds

meggypoo328

Reaction score
I was wondering what everybody uses as far as flea & tick and heart worm medicines. I was going to order online, since its cheaper, but I'm not sure which kind works!!

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
Diatomaceous earth. Absolutely no side effects and works like a charm :)

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Frontline Plus for fleas and Heartguard for heartworm. Once I run out of both (probably in a month) I am thinking about switching to Sentinel Plus which is one pill that works for both fleas and heartworm.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
we use Sentinel and Vectra 3D.... going on 6 or 7 yrs... never any issues

MaplesMommy

Reaction score
The only time I treat my animals is when they actually have fleas or worms etc. Maple never had anything but our little stray had worms and a few fleas. If your dog is healthy it usually stays healthy ! I dont like the idea of chemicals on my animals so I 'treat' with diatomaceous earth if necessary. It is natural and doesnt cause any side effects!
Btw this is a nice article about heartworm disease http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/heartworm-medication-part-1-truths-omissions-and-profits/

mmclean

Reaction score
I just started Trifexis with Radar. So far no side effects and it seems to be working.

lkclark

Reaction score
We tried Trifexis, but I'm afraid that it caused dermatitis on Bear. I likely won't renew. Not sure what to give. I'd prefer nothing!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
[MENTION=768]mmclean[/MENTION] and [MENTION=648]lkclark[/MENTION] - I have heard nothing but bad things about Trifexis but have no personal experience with it.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
[MENTION=768]mmclean[/MENTION] and [MENTION=648]lkclark[/MENTION] - I have heard nothing but bad things about Trifexis but have no personal experience with it.

Sane here.... I know of a bulldog that died from it

KimB3384

Reaction score
We use DE around the house, but I didn't have any luck with it treating fleas on either my cat or my dog. I'd been using Frontline, but found that it didn't seem to do much this season in Ohio, so I switched to Advantage (not Advantix) and haven't had any issues. I use Heartgard for the heart worms. I think it depends on your situation, too. With Advantage and Frontline, you have the ability to reapply after two weeks (Advantage says you can reapply after one week, if necessary), so I like that flexibility if it's required. With the two-in-one deals, you're locked in to giving once a month, but you may never have a need to reapply more than that. I have to set a google reminder to reapply the topical, so it might be nice to just give it once and be done with it.

Tuko

Reaction score
I use Frontline Plus and Heartguard and have been doing so for years. My dogs have never had heart tworm, fleas, or ticks and I live in New Hampshire which is highly populated by ticks and lymes rates are high.

I'd be very, very weary of Trifexis. I know several dogs who have gotten very sick, one critically so, from being on that. I've seen lots of similar news stories of dogs becoming very sick and even dying from Trifexis. I'm kind of surprised it's still on the market.

Tgirl

Reaction score
I don't have a Frenchie (I know...sad) but I have a Pekingese and a little terrier mix. Right now I am using Heartgard, and Nexgard. Nexgard is the new flea and tick pill. Frontline is pretty good for ticks, but in warm humid areas where there are a lot of fleas, it's not my top choice. Advantage is a great flea product, but does nothing for ticks. Advantix does fleas and ticks supposedly but it didn't seem to work well.

tonytones

Reaction score
i have chowder on Revolution Topical. I havent seen any fleas yet. hopefully i dont see anything.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Do not use Triflexis , it can kill your baby. We use sentinel only.

turbodave

Reaction score
Do not use Triflexis , it can kill your baby. We use sentinel only.

Interesting. Please expand on this! Is there data that shows that it poses a danger to frenchies? I have one to give later, and would like to know.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=728]turbodave[/MENTION] there is plenty on the net, just Google it. To me it's not worth my babies lives giving this poison to them waiting on scientific data. I have friends who have lost some beautiful bullies to this drug, plus I see it on the net and on facebook all the time of peoples bullies and Frenchies getting sick and some dying from it. We give ours Sentinel only and have never had a problem with it, even our pups.

turbodave

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll take that pill back and get a sentinal

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Tgirl

Reaction score
Re: Flea & tick and heart worm meds

Sentinel has been around for years. It's a great product.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -