Frenchie allergy

Reaction score
My frenchie doesn’t stop chewing his paws and rubbing his face, I went to the vets and they said steroids injections is the best thing for him. I was just wondering if there is anything I can do that would be better for him

Shampoos?

Tablets?

LincolnGates

Reaction score
I would do my best to avoid the steroids. I did it with my dog and it destroyed his liver and I had to put him down. have you tried to see what allergy it is? we found it to be food-related and chicken of course. so I got him on food with limited ingredients and was prescribed by my vet. Hills limited ingredient. He also had allergy pills for bad days.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
My frenchie doesn’t stop chewing his paws and rubbing his face, I went to the vets and they said steroids injections is the best thing for him. I was just wondering if there is anything I can do that would be better for him

Shampoos?

Tablets?

First thing I would do is get him off the hills prescription food as it’s ALL fillers/garbage, that can make allergies even worse and cause way more health issues, my 2 other dogs got kidney disease from the low quality food that was all fillers, just like that food you have your dog on from the vet. Vets don’t get taught on nutrition, just promote their food for $$$$.

I would definitely avoid the allergy pills, steroids, and avoid those from the vet, they do way more harm than good.
One of my dogs she was on apoquel pills from vet for allergies, and she was wearing the cone 24/7 and miserable and uncomfortable, it completely suppressed the immune system, they have no immune system to fight viruses or anything or cancer. One of the side effects is cancer. My dog did in fact get tumours and the vet knew it was from the apoquel and now she was just diagnosed with Bladder Cancer 1 month ago☹️ She has been off the apoquel for over 1 year now BUT the damage was already done. I recommend AVOIDING these allergy, steroids(injections and pills) from the vet, and AVOID the Hills, Royal Canin, Science diet and Purina.

Get him onto a better quality foods.
No chicken which is fairly easy to avoid.

And I give Rusty bovine colostrum powder supplement, give it 30 minutes before you feed him breakfast. Let him lick it out of his dish by itself(no food), it’s absorbed better on a empty stomach.
The bovine colostrum is the best shop for allergies, it’s so helpful for immune system it’s even used in cancer treatments for dogs by holistic vets, and has no known side effects or interactions with anything. If it doesn’t help it doesn’t harm.

Rusty’s allergies are 100% better with the good food and bovine colostrum supplement. I bath him 1 day a week, sometimes 1 day every 2 weeks depending on if the grass is wet outside cause that’s can cause flare ups and irritation.

And you can bath him with Kin+Kind brand,, or 4 legger brand shampoo for dogs. There is anti itch in the Kin Kind brand. The 4 ledgers are really good brand too.

You can use apple cider vinegar to wash his paws too.

Probiotics are good for allergies. Really good for immune system.

He could be allergic to the food your feeding right now. I recommend switching to a better food and helping his immune system.
Even if it’s environmental allergies, diet can make a huge difference.

Reaction score
I would do my best to avoid the steroids. I did it with my dog and it destroyed his liver and I had to put him down. have you tried to see what allergy it is? we found it to be food-related and chicken of course. so I got him on food with limited ingredients and was prescribed by my vet. Hills limited ingredient. He also had allergy pills for bad days.
What pills do you give when he has bad days? What good do you recommend?

Reaction score
First thing I would do is get him off the hills prescription food as it’s ALL fillers/garbage, that can make allergies even worse and cause way more health issues, my 2 other dogs got kidney disease from the low quality food that was all fillers, just like that food you have your dog on from the vet. Vets don’t get taught on nutrition, just promote their food for $$$$.

I would definitely avoid the allergy pills, steroids, and avoid those from the vet, they do way more harm than good.
One of my dogs she was on apoquel pills from vet for allergies, and she was wearing the cone 24/7 and miserable and uncomfortable, it completely suppressed the immune system, they have no immune system to fight viruses or anything or cancer. One of the side effects is cancer. My dog did in fact get tumours and the vet knew it was from the apoquel and now she was just diagnosed with Bladder Cancer 1 month ago☹️ She has been off the apoquel for over 1 year now BUT the damage was already done. I recommend AVOIDING these allergy, steroids(injections and pills) from the vet, and AVOID the Hills, Royal Canin, Science diet and Purina.

Get him onto a better quality foods.
No chicken which is fairly easy to avoid.

And I give Rusty bovine colostrum powder supplement, give it 30 minutes before you feed him breakfast. Let him lick it out of his dish by itself(no food), it’s absorbed better on a empty stomach.
The bovine colostrum is the best shop for allergies, it’s so helpful for immune system it’s even used in cancer treatments for dogs by holistic vets, and has no known side effects or interactions with anything. If it doesn’t help it doesn’t harm.

Rusty’s allergies are 100% better with the good food and bovine colostrum supplement. I bath him 1 day a week, sometimes 1 day every 2 weeks depending on if the grass is wet outside cause that’s can cause flare ups and irritation.

And you can bath him with Kin+Kind brand,, or 4 legger brand shampoo for dogs. There is anti itch in the Kin Kind brand. The 4 ledgers are really good brand too.

You can use apple cider vinegar to wash his paws too.

Probiotics are good for allergies. Really good for immune system.

He could be allergic to the food your feeding right now. I recommend switching to a better food and helping his immune system.
Even if it’s environmental allergies, diet can make a huge difference.
What food would you recommend? Thankyou for replying

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
What food would you recommend? Thankyou for replying

Natures Logic brand(Sardine, or Rabbit formula), it also has probiotics in it and no synthetic vitamins(these synthetic vitamins can cause allergies).
I would definitely recommend trying the Natures Logic as it’s limited ingredients too, and for dogs that might be allergic to legumes or pea and grains, it only uses millet with isn’t considered a grain.
Very good for allergies.

Also I recommend trying Bovine Colostrum supplement(I buy the Four Leaf Rover brand), it works very well for environmental allergies, we found it worked better than the vet pills/injections like apoquel and cytopoint. No more cone on her, she is basically itch free, no more paw chewing.

Give the colostrum powder 30 minutes BEFORE giving him breakfast(put the powder in the food dish WITHOUT the food), they lick it up by itself cause it’s better absorbed on empty stomach, then you can feed the breakfast 30 minutes later(you can wait longer if you want).

Here is a video that gives alternative to vet pills and injections, and how they improve allergies being antihistamine and it talks more of how bovine colostrum helps with allergies:

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
How would I know?
Do you notice an increase in itching or other symptoms when he's been outside or after using cleaning products, etc.? Jax is allergic to everything green outside. When he was 1 we did do an intradermal skin allergy test for his environmental allergies. We tried a multitude of things including allergy shots, switching to raw food, Apoquel, weekly baths but he is doing good on Cytopoint injections and he gets a mushroom supplement for skin and coat which allows him to go months between Cytopoint injections.

For food, you can try an elimination diet. One protein at at time, see if you notice anything after. For instance, when Jax was eating kibble, I gave him turkey and he broke out in a rash all over his belly area. I tried raw lamb before and his ears got all red and yeasty. Food allergies are a lot of trial and error to see what works.

LincolnGates

Reaction score
Piper- she even went on different proteins and did not know many don't list chicken on the front of the bag but when you read the finer print you may see a chicken meal. This will trigger if you have a chicken allergy. I found this out the hard way

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
How would I know?
As @Cbrugs stated... there are other options than steroids to help that are more safe. Food is trail and error, try to avoid chicken as it tends to be an issue for bully breeds. You can do testing, not 100% accurate but gives a good base line to start with but you have to be sure the pet is off any type of immune suppressant drug for a full 30 days