Frenchie puppy?

Mavis

Reaction score
We lost our beloved Bambi on Monday. I contacted the breeder where we got her (as a three year old female), and they have an eight-week old puppy who will be ready to go soon. Absolutely adorable and breeder says he has a great temperament, and I trust her assessment. I am terrified! I don't know if I can do a puppy - it's been so long since we've had one. Two years ago we adopted a little Chi at 8 years old. Opinions, appreciated.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
We lost our beloved Bambi on Monday. I contacted the breeder where we got her (as a three year old female), and they have an eight-week old puppy who will be ready to go soon. Absolutely adorable and breeder says he has a great temperament, and I trust her assessment. I am terrified! I don't know if I can do a puppy - it's been so long since we've had one. Two years ago we adopted a little Chi at 8 years old. Opinions, appreciated.

Sorry to hear about Bambi!

If you currently have another dog at home now, I do recommend getting the puppy because it’s a lot easier than without the other dog there. I have 3 dogs(only 1 of them is a Frenchie) but since the first dog, the older dogs that are trained will help teach the puppy. It will give the puppy a friend to play with and it will hopefully help with house training(house training was easy with the other dog) because they will usually follow the other dog around and usually do what the other dog is doing. The older dog can tire the puppy out which sometimes means less work for you.

If your 8 year old dog is good with pups, it will help, also helps teach the puppy manners and helps give the puppy boundaries sometimes.

Keep us updated!

Mavis

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about Bambi!

If you currently have another dog at home now, I do recommend getting the puppy because it’s a lot easier than without the other dog there. I have 3 dogs(only 1 of them is a Frenchie) but since the first dog, the older dogs that are trained will help teach the puppy. It will give the puppy a friend to play with and it will hopefully help with house training(house training was easy with the other dog) because they will usually follow the other dog around and usually do what the other dog is doing. The older dog can tire the puppy out which sometimes means less work for you.

If your 8 year old dog is good with pups, it will help, also helps teach the puppy manners and helps give the puppy boundaries sometimes.

Keep us updated!
Thank you so much. Actually, our chi is ten now (have had him two years). He is eleven pounds and the perfect dog, honestly. He is extremely gentle and other than short periods of energy (nothing major), he sleeps a lot. I am just concerned that the pup will punk on him too much. Knowing "Petey," he wouldn't do much to defend himself other than retreat or hide. I'm so nervous.

Mavis

Reaction score
Well the good thing is they aren’t puppies forever and while they are a lot of work, in the end they’re worth it! If you’re ready, I say go for it!
Thank you so much for the vote of confidence. Fear is the biggest setback.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Do it! Petey will set the boundaries and the pup will learn quickly! your nerves are normal and will slowly lessen as they bound. Puppy will know when Petey doesn’t want to be bother and move on to chewing your toes.

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
If you're prepared for it mentally, physically and the time, you'll be fine. If you have high anxiety and/or depression, maybe not.

Your sleep pattern will be interrupted. For some reason, some don't think you have to get up at 1am. Then 5am or whatever to take the dog out. For weeks. The dog will have accidents. Multiple times. For months. Can be very frustrating and drive you nuts.

Time is a big factor. Puppies require a lot of your time. Once you get past about 5-6 months, it does get easier.

If you have the patience, understanding, knowledge and drive. Do it! They are super adorable as puppies. Watching them grow, learn and bond is pretty amazing.

🆕 Latest posts