Fur Loss

FrenchEhop

Reaction score
Hello Friends!
Our loveable 5-Year Old Frenchie Evander has some fur loss on his left side. We first noticed it about a month ago. We took him to the vet and she said it could be either a food or environmental allergy. But we haven’t changed his food or environment in over a year.
We feed him 1/2 Farmers Dog (chicken or turkey) + Honest Kitchen Dried Kibble (grain free Beef)
Has anyone else dealt with sudden fur loss? Any suggestions on how to treat would be greatly appreciated.
316E8AB4-DB61-46F1-BBE4-90C7B18D86EF.jpg316E8AB4-DB61-46F1-BBE4-90C7B18D86EF.jpgD6B86A9E-48DB-44A3-8355-7A6ADE484ADB.jpeg58D86C5F-083F-4E30-AACF-081C25B38C42.jpeg

Last edited:

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Friends!
Our loveable 5-Year Old Frenchie Evander has some fur loss on his left side. We first noticed it about a month ago. We took him to the vet and she said it could be either a food or environmental allergy. But we haven’t changed his food or environment in over a year.
We feed him 1/2 Farmers Dog (chicken or turkey) + Honest Kitchen Dried Kibble (grain free Beef)
Has anyone else dealt with sudden fur loss? Any suggestions on how to treat would be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 14584View attachment 14584View attachment 14585View attachment 14586

Did the vet scrape to rule out any type of dermatitis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrenchEhop

Reaction score
No she did not. I’m thinking of switching to a different Vet. Perhaps I can request a scrape for dermatitis.

Did the vet scrape to rule out any type of dermatitis?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
No she did not. I’m thinking of switching to a different Vet. Perhaps I can request a scrape for dermatitis.

I would definitely ask for a skin scrape to hopefully identify the issue instead of just assuming allergies. That doesn’t look like allergies to me, but I could be wrong.

If they won’t do one find a vet that will

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Seasonal Flank Alopecia happens in the winter and is very common in certain breeds including Bulldogs. I have owned 6 Boxers and 1 Frenchie and have somehow escaped experiencing this, but I was heavily involved in rescue in my 30s, and we saw it often. Here is a link. Best to have vet check again if you have not already.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/seasonal-flank-alopecia

FrenchEhop

Reaction score
Thank you for this feedback. Evander hasn’t had any changes in his overall health so this sounds like a real possibility. Thanks again.

Seasonal Flank Alopecia happens in the winter and is very common in certain breeds including Bulldogs. I have owned 6 Boxers and 1 Frenchie and have somehow escaped experiencing this, but I was heavily involved in rescue in my 30s, and we saw it often. Here is a link. Best to have vet check again if you have not already.

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/seasonal-flank-alopecia

FroxerMom

Reaction score
How is Evander doing? Have you seen any improvement in his skin/fur?

FrenchEhop

Reaction score
Evander is doing well and his overall health seems fine but the patch of fur is still missing. It seems to be growing back very slowly but still visible. The vet prescribed some medicated shampoo and says it's some form of allergy. I'm looking for a second opinion. Will post updates as I learn more.

sean7398

Reaction score
yep, my dog had fur loss with his allergies, but not like this, hmmm, not sure if the vet knows what they doing. Who am i to say, lol :)
have you tried the online skin vet?

Shellyanne

Reaction score
Hi my frenchie has bald patches both sides of her body. We've just had skin scrapes done which came bk clear from parasite s and manage and bacterial conditions under her armpits we are just waiting for the hair pluck results we know she has a grass or pollen allergy as her tummy and legs go really red and now we ve noticed her bits are sore. She's on antihistamines and I wash her tummy and legs each time she goes on the grass the vet seem to think she has some kind of alapecia going on. But any advice would be greatly appreciated shellyanne .