Golden Retriever Girlfriend.

Denis

Reaction score
My late son’s male Frenchie was about 2 when he first met and immediately fell in love with our daughters then 6 month old Golden Retriever. Now, although George has been neutered, the Retriever is on heat and he is honestly wearing himself out non-stop humping her all day. I’ve read that having him neutered would stop him from doing this but it’s obviously not the case with George. Is this common for other male Frenchies? Surely there is no way he could actually complete the task he has set himself? Or is there? It is absolutely constant to the point of him being totally exhausted. We obviously seperate them when we’re around but they both hate being apart - she barks and he howls. It’s a beautiful love story but thought worth checking as to whether he should still be trying to mate despite being neutered? Thanks, Denis.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
My late son’s male Frenchie was about 2 when he first met and immediately fell in love with our daughters then 6 month old Golden Retriever. Now, although George has been neutered, the Retriever is on heat and he is honestly wearing himself out non-stop humping her all day. I’ve read that having him neutered would stop him from doing this but it’s obviously not the case with George. Is this common for other male Frenchies? Surely there is no way he could actually complete the task he has set himself? Or is there? It is absolutely constant to the point of him being totally exhausted. We obviously seperate them when we’re around but they both hate being apart - she barks and he howls. It’s a beautiful love story but thought worth checking as to whether he should still be trying to mate despite being neutered? Thanks, Denis.

My frenchie Rusty, he used to hump my 2 golden Retrievers when they went into heat, sometimes they weren’t in heat, but that’s common when a male dog knows the other dog is in heat, also Rusty was neutered the same time my 2 golden retrievers got spayed, so until Rusty was 5-6 months(he got neutered at 6 months) we had to watch him like a hawk to make sure he wasn’t gonna hump them.

Yes even neutered males will hump sometimes, sometimes it’s for dominance and sometimes it’s for play, when my older golden retriever played with the younger golden retriever ,Rusty got jealous that they weren’t playing with him, so he would hump the older golden retriever, even after he was neutered and he would stop humping when they would include him in the play.
Rusty hasn’t hump her for a long time , but when he used to I would tell him ‘Off’ to make sure he knows not to do that.

And no when they are neutered, they can’t create puppies cause they are fixed.

Rusty never used to hump non stop until he is tired, he would do basically 1-2 times a day at most on the days he wanted to for dominance and play.

sounds like you need to teach a ‘off’ or ‘NO’ command so he knows to not do it.

Also this could also be play or dominate behaviour not just cause the golden retriever is not fixed/spayed.

Even neutered dogs still dominate and hump sometimes, but should be less than a not neutered male dog.

Denis

Reaction score
Thank you Rusty’s Owner for helping me feel more relaxed! Daughter is planning on only one litter for her Golden Retriever when she’s a bit older and I didn’t want anything going wrong on my watch! All the best and thanks! D

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, totally normal. I have 2 males that are neutered and when my female is in heat, it still drives them crazy.