Grade 4 Patellar Luxation

DallasFrenchie

Reaction score
Hello and Happy Friday Eve,

Last week was Brady's vet appointment because I had hoped to get his OFA-CHIC certification. He was scheduled to get his hips and elbows x-rayed, but after viewing and discussing the hip x-ray we agreed it was moot to continue because his patella/hips are so poor.

Vet told me he would need a hip replacement eventually, and mentioned a surgery on his left patella I could get done now (prior to when inevitable lameness, injury, or accident would require it) that would help his longevity. He was returned to the exam room to test for patellar luxation, and he was diagnosed with a grade 4 on his left and grade 2 to 3/4 on his right.

I didn't know what to expect, obviously not something this bad, but the news broke my heart. I am so concerned about his quality of life diminishing as he ages (he's only 2). He's still incredibly active and I am trying to break all of his jumping habits (on and off the couch/car/bed) and make sure to avoid stairs. I am going to get a second opinion just in case, but I will likely schedule the elective surgery on his left patella in the next few weeks and I am starting him on a joint supplement.

I am also going to ask the vet about injections (like Pentosan), has anyone tried that or similar on their frenchie? Does anyone have any experience with maintaining a frenchie with grade 3-4 patellar luxation?

Thanks for reading
IMG_1392.jpg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
He is gorgeous!!! Definitely get a second opinion before doing anything.

I have no experience but will see if I can copy some from our sister site... English Bulldog News. Or you can go over and search as many have experience with this on that site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Yes, I would definitely say get that second opinion before committing to anything! My girl has the same diagnosis. The first vet who treated my dog when she lived with her former owner didn't say a word about it - not anywhere in her records. The first vet I brought her to said she had a grade 2 on her left and nothing on her right. My current vet evaluated her and agreed but said grade 3 on both!

For now I am watching her and don't allow her to jump down from my bed (it is really high) but she gets on and off the couch on her own and does the stairs. I have no experience with that injection medication, but maybe someone else has and can add their 2 cents. Brady is such a handsome guy. Hope you find the info you need and it is good news!