Grooming

jellyfish

Reaction score
Do any of you groom (full groom: wash, ears, nails) your Frenchie? If so, how often?

How often do you need to clip your frenchies nails? I have had issues with nails with past dogs and it is worth it to me to take her to a groomer and have her nails done regularly. I just don't know how often that should be.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
I groom my dogs myself. They have allergies and need medicated baths everry 5 - 7 days. Nails are clipped about every two weeks. Ears are cleaned as needed. There is a very helpful article in the Frenchie Learning center on the home page on grooming. Just scroll down to the bottom.

hannah

Reaction score
We also groom our frenchies ourselves. We have an electric nail file - which I highly recommend. We try and do a quick file once a week... if not every 2 weeks.

We bathe them when needed, same with the ears.

However we were just discussing possibly taking them in to have their ears cleaned professionally once in a while, because on our last trip to the vet we discovered Aiko has an ear infection which we are now treating :( So we are now wondering if professional ear cleaning would be beneficial or maybe we just aren't doing it properly and need to do a bit more research on how to do it

Alice Kable

Reaction score
We let a vet tech do their nails a couple of times a year. They go for daily walks on pavement plus we have tile flooring throughout the house and their dog yard is stamped concrete, that keeps their nails filed. We give them baths as needed, but usually 3 or 4 times a year. In the summer they go wading in clean lake and river water.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
We let a vet tech do their nails a couple of times a year. They go for daily walks on pavement plus we have tile flooring throughout the house and their dog yard is stamped concrete, that keeps their nails filed. We give them baths as needed, but usually 3 or 4 times a year. In the summer they go wading in clean lake and river water.

Same with us. Only a bath a few times a year, and the nails get trimmed about once a month since they file their own nails on our daily walks.

pirasha

Reaction score
I file Poppy's nails about once a week; I've got a big grassy backyard that we walk in so they don't really get filed on walks. I find the the nail grinders are easier to work with then clippers; you can't have to worry about the dog squirming right when you're about to cut so there's a much less chance to hit the quick. Plus since I know I'm not going to cut too far I'm more comfortable with them which makes the dog much less scared and the job done so much faster. Also since I do them once a week there's really not that much growth on them so it takes about five minutes to do; nails are done before Poppy has a chance to tell me how much she doesn't like it :)
I've had issues with dogs and nails as well and I find the grinder really helps that. I also find that Poppy behaves better if I lay her belly up in my lap rather than standing like you'd normally do nails- more of a submissive pose? It's going to vary from dog to dog but you just have to find something that works best for you and your dog.
I end up bathing her myself once a week and do her ears every few days...but I think that's because I don't think Poppy's food is ideal for her. Her ears get really dirty and itchy if I don't clean them for a few days and if I don't bath her once a week she REALLY starts smelling like a dog - like you can smell dog as soon as you walk in the house. It's a trial and error process :)

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I use to take Jax to get a bath/ears cleaned/nails trimmed once a month but with his allergies, I now just give him a bath once a week with a medicated shampoo. I also clean his ears and brush his teeth once a week as well (after his bath). I recently bought a dremel so we now grind his nails ourselves as well about every two weeks or as needed. Sometimes his nails seem to grow so fast.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
here is the low down with Cheli;

Face is cleaned daily - folds especially.
Ears I check daily and clean as needed but at lest once a week
nails - groomer for clipping every two weeks -- his grow really fast so I go to make sure the quick does not extend
bath - as needed, but at least 2 or 3 times a year

hannah

Reaction score
I file Poppy's nails about once a week; I've got a big grassy backyard that we walk in so they don't really get filed on walks. I find the the nail grinders are easier to work with then clippers; you can't have to worry about the dog squirming right when you're about to cut so there's a much less chance to hit the quick. Plus since I know I'm not going to cut too far I'm more comfortable with them which makes the dog much less scared and the job done so much faster. Also since I do them once a week there's really not that much growth on them so it takes about five minutes to do; nails are done before Poppy has a chance to tell me how much she doesn't like it :)
I've had issues with dogs and nails as well and I find the grinder really helps that. I also find that Poppy behaves better if I lay her belly up in my lap rather than standing like you'd normally do nails- more of a submissive pose? It's going to vary from dog to dog but you just have to find something that works best for you and your dog.
I end up bathing her myself once a week and do her ears every few days...but I think that's because I don't think Poppy's food is ideal for her. Her ears get really dirty and itchy if I don't clean them for a few days and if I don't bath her once a week she REALLY starts smelling like a dog - like you can smell dog as soon as you walk in the house. It's a trial and error process :)
Could not agree more

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Chiana

Reaction score
I clip the nails with a clipper once a week and file them nice and round. My boys really enjoy wrestling so I like to keep the nails extra short and round to minimize any wrestling damages caused by them.

We wash with lavender shampoo whenever needed, once a month during summer season. Now when it is winter and lots of snow here, they do not need that much washing.
Both of my boys sleep in the bed with us, so I want them to be pretty clean :)

Our vet recommended to rinse the ears with ear cleanser about once a week. Our frenchies tend to have some wax build up, so that will help to keep the ears in good condition. However, I know many frenchie owners who do not need to clean the ears, or at least not this often, so this grooming regime is really up to each individual need. If your frenchie doesn't shake head, dig ears too often or there isn't any visible wax in the ear, then it's better not to mess around with them too much.

We also brush the teeth maybe once a week...or when we remember to do that :) We use chicken flavoured tooth paste and both guys actually like that!
Recently when we have paid a lot more attention to chew bones and food, their breath doesn't stink at all and teeth looks really white. But we keep on brushing them just in case anyway.
I guess it cannot do any harm.

Nellie

Reaction score
I use ear wash about every 3 month and i flush out the ears, (try and coinside with a bath)but get wiped weekly with almond oil. , if ears are persistenrly smelly and have a gritty or gooy discharge have them tested for yeast infection, diet change could also help ear health

kkatebasilio

Reaction score
I give stitch a bath once a week, he loves getting his ears cleaned. He hates getting his nails done so every 3 months I take him to the groomer. I'm a neat freak so every time I take him out to use the bathroom he always gets wiped(3 wipes every time). And I let him on my couch and bed so I like to keep him and everything clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaGroomer

Reaction score
We also groom our frenchies ourselves. We have an electric nail file - which I highly recommend. We try and do a quick file once a week... if not every 2 weeks.

We bathe them when needed, same with the ears.

However we were just discussing possibly taking them in to have their ears cleaned professionally once in a while, because on our last trip to the vet we discovered Aiko has an ear infection which we are now treating :( So we are now wondering if professional ear cleaning would be beneficial or maybe we just aren't doing it properly and need to do a bit more research on how to do it

I know this is an old post but I'm new to the forum. I'm a groomer and u should clean their ears yourself. The dogs would much rather you squirt water in their ears than dig them out with a Q-tip. After u flush them please make sure to put ear cleaner that has alcohol in it. Just be very careful not to get it in their eyes. Usually dogs that have blk potting soil (that's what we call it) in their ears have a food allergy. I would make sure your babies are not eating any wheat, corn and corn gluten. And it's usually yeast in the ears, it can also get between their paw pads. Hope this helps!

hannah

Reaction score
I know this is an old post but I'm new to the forum. I'm a groomer and u should clean their ears yourself. The dogs would much rather you squirt water in their ears than dig them out with a Q-tip. After u flush them please make sure to put ear cleaner that has alcohol in it. Just be very careful not to get it in their eyes. Usually dogs that have blk potting soil (that's what we call it) in their ears have a food allergy. I would make sure your babies are not eating any wheat, corn and corn gluten. And it's usually yeast in the ears, it can also get between their paw pads. Hope this helps!

what do you mean I should do it myself? Do the groomers not do it well enough? I am confused.

also they don't have any of that stuff in their diets...

BamaGroomer

Reaction score
Oh we do it perfect!!! Lol Most groomers do not flush the dogs ears like we do. I could make a video showing you how to do it if you would like. You would be surprise how clean u can get their ears. When the lady that taught me how to groom worked at a vets office the vet would come get her to flush the ears. His machine that he had to clean ears didn't work as good as how she does it.

turbodave

Reaction score
Oh we do it perfect!!! Lol Most groomers do not flush the dogs ears like we do. I could make a video showing you how to do it if you would like. You would be surprise how clean u can get their ears. When the lady that taught me how to groom worked at a vets office the vet would come get her to flush the ears. His machine that he had to clean ears didn't work as good as how she does it.

Please post a vid of your technique.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]

BamaGroomer

Reaction score
Please post a vid of your technique.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]

Yes, the next time I get a dog that has what we call potting soil in its ear.

BamaGroomer

Reaction score
I haven't forgot about putting up a video of how we flush ears. We just haven't had any pups lately with nasty ears. Guess that's a good thing!

blushy

Reaction score
I haven't forgot about putting up a video of how we flush ears. We just haven't had any pups lately with nasty ears. Guess that's a good thing!

It's hay fever season, might get some in soon! Haha.