Harness causing irritation in the pits

CutieFrenchie

Reaction score
We have several harnesses for Charlie.

2-Ruffwear
2-Frenchie Bulldog duo reversible harness
1-Frenchiestore Health harness

She typically doesn't wear them long. On car rides, short walks or to the store. We notice each one will cause red marks on her front pits.

It was already a little tender recently but we took her out to the local dog park in her Frenchiestore harness for about 45 mins. When we git home and took it off, notice one side was bright red. Looks like a welt the next day. We've been applying Neosporin on it. No wonder she hates her harnesses. Been only using her collar until this fully heal.

Nothing obvious is rubbing while walking. When she's walking, it's not even touching the pits. All the materials are soft.

What options do you have experience with.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
We have several harnesses for Charlie.

2-Ruffwear
2-Frenchie Bulldog duo reversible harness
1-Frenchiestore Health harness

She typically doesn't wear them long. On car rides, short walks or to the store. We notice each one will cause red marks on her front pits.

It was already a little tender recently but we took her out to the local dog park in her Frenchiestore harness for about 45 mins. When we git home and took it off, notice one side was bright red. Looks like a welt the next day. We've been applying Neosporin on it. No wonder she hates her harnesses. Been only using her collar until this fully heal.

Nothing obvious is rubbing while walking. When she's walking, it's not even touching the pits. All the materials are soft.

What options do you have experience with.

I have the Frenchie Bulldog harnesses for Rusty(the soft duo reversible harness), I have at least 6 different ones of these reversible harnesses from Frenchie bulldog
I have been using these for Rusty since he came home as a pup, he is 3 now, no issues at all with these harnesses.

We have had other harnesses when we first got Rusty, this was before we got the Frenchie Bulldog harnesses, and they all made his pits red too(didn’t even take a 5 minute walk before they were making him red), also the Frenchie Bulldog harnesses are the ONLY harness he can’t pull out of!

I have tried Kong, RC pets, but those made him red, then we went with Frenchie Bulldog.

I have never walked him on a collar(always harness) because I don’t want to cause any other airway issues by him pulling and the collar can cause thyroid issues, trachea issues, and he can choke. He will usually wear the Frenchie Bulldog collar that has his name tag on it for safety reasons but I do not walk him on the collar.

Maybe try using the Frenchie Bulldog harnesses you have and see if that helps. If she was in the grass then is red maybe she is allergic to grass. Or get a light sweater for her and put harness over it to prevent red pits.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I was never able to find a harness to fit Cheli, we use a martingale collar… he rarely pulls so there is no issue with collar tighening