Having a hard time potty training

Lexillo

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I am having the hardest time training my Frenchie.

I've had her since February of 2019 and she recently turned 1 years old this past October. She is doing a lot better but she still has a lot of accidents.

The accidents mainly happen overnight but also will happen during the day [sometimes]. We take her water and food away about two hours before bed-time. The bad thing is.. she smears her feces around and eats it when she goes so it's a mess to clean up. She also jumps on the couch to pee on it. [She usually pees on the couch when she's about to get zoomies. She gets this crazy look in her eyes and starts wreaking havoc.]

I don't have her in a crate. I tried crate training before. She was fine in the crate and didn't seem anxious but she would just just urinate and defecate in the crate creating a huge mess. I also prefer not having her crated [my previous dogs were never crated but understood the corner of the room was their area].

I try to keep her on a schedule but even then she'll have accidents. She is very easily distracted outside as well.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I wish I had some insight but it seems you are following all the normal Training procedures we stayed consistent and stuck to a type to our schedule with our guy hiring a pet sitter to come in when we were at work but it still took a full two years to get our guy on the program and fully trained to go outside.

Still today at the age of eight he does not indicate that he needs to go we just keep him on a schedule

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lcash

Reaction score
I wish I had some insight but it seems you are following all the normal Training procedures we stayed consistent and stuck to a type to our schedule with our guy hiring a pet sitter to come in when we were at work but it still took a full two years to get our guy on the program and fully trained to go outside.

Still today at the age of eight he does not indicate that he needs to go we just keep him on a schedule

Hello I am having a hard time as well, my 5month old frenchie "Beau will not let me know with a whisper , a bark or anything. And he still goes in the middle of the night. So i have a designated space in my bathroom and during the day i take him out ever 3 to 4hours. I am trying to stay consistant. But it is still hard. It seems sometimes if he's salty with me he will actually still do in the cage in strange times. Does anybody have any suggestions? Or should i just say consistant. My goal is to allow him to run around freely , but can t trust him yet

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello I am having a hard time as well, my 5month old frenchie "Beau will not let me know with a whisper , a bark or anything. And he still goes in the middle of the night. So i have a designated space in my bathroom and during the day i take him out ever 3 to 4hours. I am trying to stay consistant. But it is still hard. It seems sometimes if he's salty with me he will actually still do in the cage in strange times. Does anybody have any suggestions? Or should i just say consistant. My goal is to allow him to run around freely , but can t trust him yet

Stay consistent. Maybe try taking him out more frequently during the day. Make sure you give a lot of praise when he does go outside. I also use little treats as well. Frenchie’s can be stubborn and take longer to potty train but he’ll just get it one day.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

Consistent schedule with lots of praise... they can be stubborn and you need to stay consistent and patient

mattcantwin

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the training issues. Solid advice provided above.

Beau is still pretty young, so he could be turning a corner any day (or month).

As far as Lola's crate training experience; have you tried a crate along with restricted space; so she has the option not to dirty the crate?

Loki wasn't easy to train and was certainly the toughest dog we have ever had to train.

He'll turn four this August and still gets a treat every time he poops outside; kind of funny how he bursts through the doggie door, all excited about his "accomplishment".