Help Identifying Colour Please

bladesman83

Reaction score
Good afternoon all.
We have a beautiful litter of Frenchies that are now 4 weeks old. After conducting countless hours or research, including litter mates and pedigree etc, I have 2 that I am not sure of. As I now need to KC register them, I really need a colour to put them to. I will keep my opinions of what they are to myself so I don't bias your welcomed input.
Thank you in advance,
DavidIMG-20230228-WA0000.jpgIMG-20230228-WA0004.jpg20230306_182501.jpg20230306_182511.jpg

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
What color is the dam and sire?

bladesman83

Reaction score
What color is the dam and sire?
Dame is Black and Tan from a litter of 2x Black and Tan and 2x Sable. Sire is a Blue Brindle from a litter of 10x Blue an Blue Brindle and 1x Black and Tan.
Just managed to capture this snap of the first one, so I think she is a Chocolate Sable with Tan points.
Any knowledge you have is appreciated.
Screenshot_20230306_221017_Gallery.jpg

bladesman83

Reaction score
There might be 1 or 2 black and tans in there and that one does look sable.
I do have 1 black and tan in a litter of 8. 2x brindle, 1x black trindle, 2x blue, and then my suspected blue sable and chocolate sable tan.

bladesman83

Reaction score
They are beautiful.
Thanks. I've kept 2 of the litter. The lighter suspected chocolate and a brindle. I've sent off a dna swab for the chocolate one, so I'll update this thread when I get the results.

bladesman83

Reaction score
Good afternoon all. I received the DNA results on Friday but have spent between then and now studying and researching the results, as well as reaching out the the company (Wisdom Panel) regarding a query I had.

Firstly the good and easy to understand. My puppy Hnoss is 100% French Bulldog and tested clear for having and carrying any genetic conditions!
She also has a surprising number of extended relatives in the USA.

Now, unfortunately this test is lacking in a lot of trait information, but this is what I know she carries;
2 copies of low shedding, 2 copies of both short snout (variant 1 & variant 2), 2 copies of mask, 2 copies of saddle tan and 1 copy of piebald.
She also has no brindle and no testable chocolate. As she has the red eye glow and visibly brown paw pads, it's safe to say she is cocoa. Unfortunately they don't test for the dilution gene, so with 2 blue siblings, she may well be lilac.

Now the confusing part. The results say she carries 1 copy of tan, 1 copy of fawn and 1 copy of recessive black. I queried this with the company as all 3 of these allele are on the same locus. Gaining 1 from each parent makes it impossible to have 3 (I said to them).
Their response was "A locus is special as at always carries a copy a with it making Hnoss at/a(at)". My reply was that I've never heard of this before, she would be visibly and evidently black (blue, chocolate) and tan if this was the case. It also doesn't account for the copy of fawn (ay). I still await a reply to this query.

With all this being said, the test results, the research, the brown paw pads and red eye glow. I'm confident she is cocoa sable in colour whilst not ruling out lilac sable.

I hope this all makes sense. Let me know what you guy's think and thanks for sticking with it.

Regards,
David

Attachments

• 20230423_001502.jpg
    20230423_001502.jpg
    880.2 KB · Views: 6

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I wish I understood all that :) as long you are all happy and healthy then that is what matters most