Help with my puppy drinking more water

Luke

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Really struggling to get my 14 week old pup to drink water, someone has told me to add a couple of drops of a cut lemon into his water....
But after a quick Google it gives mixed messages.
Anyone else come across this or any other recommendations to get him to have some more water....
He is currently drinking bottled water from the supermarket

Thanks!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Really struggling to get my 14 week old pup to drink water, someone has told me to add a couple of drops of a cut lemon into his water....
But after a quick Google it gives mixed messages.
Anyone else come across this or any other recommendations to get him to have some more water....
He is currently drinking bottled water from the supermarket

Thanks!

You can add some low sodium bone broth(preferably dog bone broth) I buy the open farm beef bone broth which is good. Other brands that make it are Primal that I know of.

What do you feed him?

I ask because if they eat a high moisture diet(lightly cooked fresh food, Raw diet or canned food) all those are around 70% moisture which means they will drink less water.

You can also add water to his food, Rusty doesn’t drink any water unless he plays too hard he will get a drink from the water dish, but that’s rare.

His food is 70% moisture so it’s actually normal for them to drink very minimal cause they are always hydrated from their food if it’s high in moisture.

I still add 1/3 to 1/4 cup of filtered water to each meal of Rusty’s food and I add beef bone broth as well which he loves so he will actually drink the water I add to his food.

I would see if he drinks with the bone broth added to water.

Keep us updated

Luke

Reaction score
He has a Natures menu raw diet (chicken,salmon and turkey on variety) so I'm guessing that will hold alot of moisture, that's put my mind at rest a bit!

I will also buy what you just recommended aswell!!

Thanks so much for getting back so fast!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
He has a Natures menu raw diet (chicken,salmon and turkey on variety) so I'm guessing that will hold alot of moisture, that's put my mind at rest a bit!

That’s good, the food is 68% moisture which is great! It keeps them hydrated which means less water they will drink, although some dogs still drink a little bit of water during the day, but way less than the average dog on dry food because it’s lots of moisture in their food.

He is on a good food! Also good that’s your rotating🙂👍

If your still a little concerned he isn’t drinking much water you can always add some water to his raw food( if you already break apart the nuggets, it will make him want to drink the water that you add to his food cause the water will taste like his food). I only add 1/4 cup of water to Rusty’s food, and he drinks it cause it tasted like his food, even if I don’t add the bone broth he still drinks the 1/4 cup of water I add to his meals.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Raw fed dogs generally drink way less water…totally normal. Sometimes mine don’t drink any water at all for days unless they’ve been running/playing hard.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

Don't stress unless his gums are pale and dry.... raw fed dogs do not drink alot of water because the food itself gives what they need. My two barely touch the water bowl