Housebreaking issue or UTI?

EmmiRaesMom

Reaction score
First off I want to let everyone know from my previous posts about Emmi's neurological issues we seem to have found the culprit or so we hope! We were giving her a supplement called sure grow 100 and once we stopped it, her neurological issues seem to have stopped as well. We go back in for a reevaluation in another 2 weeks but so far so good!
Now onto our other issue. We are having a big problem with Emmi peeing. Its all the time..we take her out non stop all day long and its not helping. We take her to the same spot tell her to go potty and she does and we praise like crazy and treat. I just took her out and literally an hour or so later she peed not once but twice on couch! She has peed numerous times now on my couch, luckily on the cushions which the covers are removable so we immediately wash them. We always make sure to clean the spot extremely well with a urine odor destroyer. Today tho she peed on top of the couch. She likes to sit up there and bask in the sun but today she peed a good amount. Then a few mins later she peed on my ottoman. I'm getting so frustrated!!!! We also notice sometimes she will pee and then pee a 2nd time outside and she is also drinking more water. Does this sound like a uti? I don't know what else to be doing to get her potty trained. :(

Repose

Reaction score
My close friend had a English/French Bulldog mix puppy with excessive thirst/urination issues and in their case it turned out to be diabetes. Seems like you’ve been to the vet your fair share though so I’m not sure if you’ve already done a full blood panel. Kidneys too could be the culprit.

I can’t remember how young little Emmi is, but it could just simply be a matter of age too.

Glad to see you’ve had some luck with the neurological issues though! That can sure be a scary thing. Hoping the best for you all *hugs*

EmmiRaesMom

Reaction score
My close friend had a English/French Bulldog mix puppy with excessive thirst/urination issues and in their case it turned out to be diabetes. Seems like you’ve been to the vet your fair share though so I’m not sure if you’ve already done a full blood panel. Kidneys too could be the culprit.

I can’t remember how young little Emmi is, but it could just simply be a matter of age too.

Glad to see you’ve had some luck with the neurological issues though! That can sure be a scary thing. Hoping the best for you all *hugs*

Ty! Emmi will be 6 months old on the 24th. We just did bloodwork on her for the neurological issue and this is what the vet said in the email.
Emmi Rae has normal blood work for a puppy. She has increases in the lymphocytes since she is getting her immunity and increase in the phosphorus from growing. The CK, a muscle enzyme is up so that could be secondary to inflammation from neurological disease.
I'm at a loss and she seems to hold her urine from 12am until about 5am when my husband takes her out before work.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
That is great news on the neurological issues!

I would definitely have a urine test done to rule out a UTI. If she is clear, I would go back to potty training basics and start over and probably do crate training to get her back on track. But definitely rule out the UTI!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmmiRaesMom

Reaction score
That is great news on the neurological issues!

I would definitely have a urine test done to rule out a UTI. If she is clear, I would go back to potty training basics and start over and probably do crate training to get her back on track. But definitely rule out the UTI!

So Emmi definitely has a pretty bad UTI :( my next question is there anything we can do as a preventive? I clean her every time she pees but could that of brought this on? I just use a tiny bit of water on a paper towel. Feel so bad because the vet said as many white blood cells she had in her urine it must be pretty painful for her.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
So Emmi definitely has a pretty bad UTI :( my next question is there anything we can do as a preventive? I clean her every time she pees but could that of brought this on? I just use a tiny bit of water on a paper towel. Feel so bad because the vet said as many white blood cells she had in her urine it must be pretty painful for her.

Cranberry powder can help, also make sure she is drinking enough water, add to food if needed. Did they say what type of crystals, if any present?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score

At least you got it figured out and she can start treatment and get back on track.

I probably only clean around Ella’s lady bits maybe once a week or so. I use either an unscented baby wipe or a chlorhexidine wipe. I wipe along the sides/crevices. I’d you do wipe her actual bit, try wiping front to back if you’re not already.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
How is Emmi doing?

As far as wiping lady bits...I wipe mine down every time she comes in from outside. I use unscented wipes and start with her face, then do her belly and feet. I use a new one to wipe her bits last.