Housebreaking

Mavis

Reaction score
Despite letting Jelly out after strenuous play, after eating, immediately after getting home if we got out, as soon as he comes out of his crate, after drinking, etc., (which is probably every 45-60 minutes), he still will sometimes pee on the carpet. He is in his crate from 7:30PM - 7:00 AM, and we let him out before he goes in, 11PM, 3AM, and when he gets up at 7AM, so I know he can hold it. Although I think he is getting "potty potty" when we take him outside, I just don't know why he keeps going in the house. It's only like a tablespoon, and I don't think he has a UTI. He seems very healthy? Poops are hit and miss. It's been freezing so he shivers when he goes out and wants to come back in (despite having a jacket). I let him out a half hour after eating, but he normally won't go, and then every half hour after that. I wind up resorting to watching him every second and picking him up immediately when he starts doing to poopie dance. Getting discouraged, although he has more success than he doesn't. I suppose I should make him walk to the door, however, he just sits there because he doesn't want to go out and I wind up picking him up.

Did anyone bell train? I think if I had a way for him to tell me when he wanted to go out, this would be going better. Again, he doesn't like going out in cold weather. When he goes, I praise him and bring him right back in, so he knows he'll get what he wants when I get what I want.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Despite letting Jelly out after strenuous play, after eating, immediately after getting home if we got out, as soon as he comes out of his crate, after drinking, etc., (which is probably every 45-60 minutes), he still will sometimes pee on the carpet. He is in his crate from 7:30PM - 7:00 AM, and we let him out before he goes in, 11PM, 3AM, and when he gets up at 7AM, so I know he can hold it. Although I think he is getting "potty potty" when we take him outside, I just don't know why he keeps going in the house. It's only like a tablespoon, and I don't think he has a UTI. He seems very healthy? Poops are hit and miss. It's been freezing so he shivers when he goes out and wants to come back in (despite having a jacket). I let him out a half hour after eating, but he normally won't go, and then every half hour after that. I wind up resorting to watching him every second and picking him up immediately when he starts doing to poopie dance. Getting discouraged, although he has more success than he doesn't. I suppose I should make him walk to the door, however, he just sits there because he doesn't want to go out and I wind up picking him up.

Did anyone bell train? I think if I had a way for him to tell me when he wanted to go out, this would be going better. Again, he doesn't like going out in cold weather. When he goes, I praise him and bring him right back in, so he knows he'll get what he wants when I get what I want.

I did the bell training with my 3 dogs, they pick it up easily. I have a bell hanging off the back door handle that they can all reach. To teach him, have the bell at the back door, when you are wanting to take him outside, bring him to the bell and make him touch the bell with his nose or paw(you might have to hold his paw to have it ring when he touches it) and say “do you need outside to potty” or what your potty command is for him. Do this every time you take him out, he will then know if I ring the bell, I get to go outside to pee. Praise him when he touches the bell and it rings(oh good boy do you need to potty) and let him out immediately. Make this a routine! One of my dogs knew what to do with it in 1 day and Rusty and the other dog took about 5-7 days.
That’s one of the best things to have.

Rusty too used to pee inside if it was too cold or wet from rain even with jackets on, he was so stubborn that way and the only thing unfortunately that got it thru to him for not going in the house cause didn’t want to go out in cold /rain was the small spray from the spray bottle(only had water in it), that was a vet recommendation and it worked amazing, only took 2 times before he figured it out.

Does he go on command??

Rusty will go on command mall I have to say is ‘go pee’ and within 10-30 seconds usually he will go and even in the cold or snow or rain he is even faster cause he knows he isn’t allowed to go inside, he hates the cold or water/rain or snow and he is literally inside in like 1 minute cause he rushes to get inside. In times like that where they are in a rush to get inside cause they don’t want to be outside, they might not ‘fully’ empty the bladder, Rusty went to the vet cause I thought it was a health issue, she said lots of dogs aren’t fully empty their bladders cause it’s cold outside and they don’t like it. And the solution to that is after they pee, tell him again(I also do this now with Rusty), go pee again and wait until he pees again. Then he is allowed inside and problem should be solved.

Is he drinking enough water???
Is he on the Raised Right food yet? How much water approximately does he drink a day???

I’m asking these questions because kibble dehydrated them and makes the urine so concentrated that they end up with urine Crystals and UTIs cause they don’t drink enough water to dilute the urine. They need to drink enough water, and continue frequent outside breaks as that helps keep the crystals away. I have been thru all of these issues with Rusty. Make sure he is drinking enough water, going outside more often to flush any crystals and bacteria out, and the carbs in kibble cause urine Crystals which form stones.

This is one thing that can be prevented with high moisture low carb food. Raised Right is a good example of this. That’s why if you have to do 1/2 kibble and 1/2 Raised Right food I would NOT do any less than 1/2 of the raised Right and 1/2 kibble for that reason.

He seems to be doing good and responding well to your training, keep it up!😊
He just needs to learn NOT to go in the house and make him fully empty his bladder outside BEFORE he comes inside. Maybe try to teach him to go on command. Try getting a bell.

Keep us updated!
I’m happy to help!

Mavis

Reaction score
I did the bell training with my 3 dogs, they pick it up easily. I have a bell hanging off the back door handle that they can all reach. To teach him, have the bell at the back door, when you are wanting to take him outside, bring him to the bell and make him touch the bell with his nose or paw(you might have to hold his paw to have it ring when he touches it) and say “do you need outside to potty” or what your potty command is for him. Do this every time you take him out, he will then know if I ring the bell, I get to go outside to pee. Praise him when he touches the bell and it rings(oh good boy do you need to potty) and let him out immediately. Make this a routine! One of my dogs knew what to do with it in 1 day and Rusty and the other dog took about 5-7 days.
That’s one of the best things to have.

Rusty too used to pee inside if it was too cold or wet from rain even with jackets on, he was so stubborn that way and the only thing unfortunately that got it thru to him for not going in the house cause didn’t want to go out in cold /rain was the small spray from the spray bottle(only had water in it), that was a vet recommendation and it worked amazing, only took 2 times before he figured it out.

Does he go on command??

Rusty will go on command mall I have to say is ‘go pee’ and within 10-30 seconds usually he will go and even in the cold or snow or rain he is even faster cause he knows he isn’t allowed to go inside, he hates the cold or water/rain or snow and he is literally inside in like 1 minute cause he rushes to get inside. In times like that where they are in a rush to get inside cause they don’t want to be outside, they might not ‘fully’ empty the bladder, Rusty went to the vet cause I thought it was a health issue, she said lots of dogs aren’t fully empty their bladders cause it’s cold outside and they don’t like it. And the solution to that is after they pee, tell him again(I also do this now with Rusty), go pee again and wait until he pees again. Then he is allowed inside and problem should be solved.

Is he drinking enough water???
Is he on the Raised Right food yet? How much water approximately does he drink a day???

I’m asking these questions because kibble dehydrated them and makes the urine so concentrated that they end up with urine Crystals and UTIs cause they don’t drink enough water to dilute the urine. They need to drink enough water, and continue frequent outside breaks as that helps keep the crystals away. I have been thru all of these issues with Rusty. Make sure he is drinking enough water, going outside more often to flush any crystals and bacteria out, and the carbs in kibble cause urine Crystals which form stones.

This is one thing that can be prevented with high moisture low carb food. Raised Right is a good example of this. That’s why if you have to do 1/2 kibble and 1/2 Raised Right food I would NOT do any less than 1/2 of the raised Right and 1/2 kibble for that reason.

He seems to be doing good and responding well to your training, keep it up!😊
He just needs to learn NOT to go in the house and make him fully empty his bladder outside BEFORE he comes inside. Maybe try to teach him to go on command. Try getting a bell.

Keep us updated!
I’m happy to help!
Thank you! Your suggestions are invaluable.

I let him out all of the time! I don't know why the heck he is still peeing in the house. The only thing with the bell is that I/we carry him outside to go potty, so it's not like it's near the floor for him to ring. He doesn't like to go outside most of the time (Petey is an incentive if he comes along), or if I put him down by the door, he'll run around the garage, hiding behind stuff or where I can't get to him and pee in there if I don't carry him out. I wouldn't say he is going on command yet, although I do think he may be getting that "potty potty" means when he goes (because I say it multiple times with praise as he is going), and he is learning that he can come in as soon as he goes "potty potty." I don't know how much he is drinking but he seems okay. I have not ordered the RR food yet and he has not started it. I can try letting him out on his own (hopefully he will follow Petey), and ringing the bell. Another thing to stress about. :rolleyes:

He had his vet appointment today. His testicles have dropped - thank God!!! I was so worried! I looked but didn't think they were there as they are pretty darn small - nothing like what I expected to see. He and Petey go in their crates at 7:30 pm and out at 7AM. Vet said to let Jelly out at 11PM and then at 7AM (we have also been doing 3AM starting recently, but before that 10, 1, 4, 7). She said if he needs to go, he'll cry. I'll try it but am stressing because it seems like too long a time.

When you squirted Rusty, did you do it when you caught him while he was peeing? What if you didn't catch him in the act? My husband or I are with Jelly all the time he is out of his crate, however, although we have an open layout, we can't always see him. I will find pee spots where he'll go in the other room out of sight for a minute, so I know he's peed. Discouraging because I think we are being very attentive with him. I do have to get a squirt bottle, because there are just some things that he is refusing to leave alone - like my husband's yard sneakers that we leave by the door, the coffee table that he'll sneak chews on when he's out of my sight line, Petey's footstool in the bedroom that he uses to jump up on the bed, etc. Some things are just too enticing to him, although, I am firm with him when I see him going at these things. I think a quick squirt would stop him in his tracks. (My husband, on the other hand, will probably think it cruel - he is driving me more crazy than Jelly.)

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Thank you! Your suggestions are invaluable.

I let him out all of the time! I don't know why the heck he is still peeing in the house. The only thing with the bell is that I/we carry him outside to go potty, so it's not like it's near the floor for him to ring. He doesn't like to go outside most of the time (Petey is an incentive if he comes along), or if I put him down by the door, he'll run around the garage, hiding behind stuff or where I can't get to him and pee in there if I don't carry him out. I wouldn't say he is going on command yet, although I do think he may be getting that "potty potty" means when he goes (because I say it multiple times with praise as he is going), and he is learning that he can come in as soon as he goes "potty potty." I don't know how much he is drinking but he seems okay. I have not ordered the RR food yet and he has not started it. I can try letting him out on his own (hopefully he will follow Petey), and ringing the bell. Another thing to stress about. :rolleyes:

He had his vet appointment today. His testicles have dropped - thank God!!! I was so worried! I looked but didn't think they were there as they are pretty darn small - nothing like what I expected to see. He and Petey go in their crates at 7:30 pm and out at 7AM. Vet said to let Jelly out at 11PM and then at 7AM (we have also been doing 3AM starting recently, but before that 10, 1, 4, 7). She said if he needs to go, he'll cry. I'll try it but am stressing because it seems like too long a time.

When you squirted Rusty, did you do it when you caught him while he was peeing? What if you didn't catch him in the act? My husband or I are with Jelly all the time he is out of his crate, however, although we have an open layout, we can't always see him. I will find pee spots where he'll go in the other room out of sight for a minute, so I know he's peed. Discouraging because I think we are being very attentive with him. I do have to get a squirt bottle, because there are just some things that he is refusing to leave alone - like my husband's yard sneakers that we leave by the door, the coffee table that he'll sneak chews on when he's out of my sight line, Petey's footstool in the bedroom that he uses to jump up on the bed, etc. Some things are just too enticing to him, although, I am firm with him when I see him going at these things. I think a quick squirt would stop him in his tracks. (My husband, on the other hand, will probably think it cruel - he is driving me more crazy than Jelly.)

When you are wanting to take him outside to potty, can you try walking him with a harness and leash sometimes instead of carrying him, that way he can’t run cause he is on leash but he is being taught he needs to walk to the door and he will be let outside. Rusty actually doesn’t ring the bell, my other dogs do but Rusty let’s me know, he goes to the mat at the back door and sits there patiently, sometimes if he is really needing outside and I didn’t see him walk over to the back door, he will come get me lol. He will look at me and walk to the back door again. Even if you trained Jelly to just walk over to the door even without the bell as long as you can see the back door. If I am letting all my dogs out before bed and Rusty is sleeping or playing I will just say Rusty come outside and go pee, and he runs to the door and goes outside.

If he is peeing in the house and you know that he doesn’t like the rain/cold weather(just like Rusty did), you know that’s why he is peeing in the house cause he doesn’t want to get wet in the rain or get cold, but since Rusty hates water and I knew that was the reason he was peeing in the house even if he didn’t go outside cause it was wet/cold the only thing that got thru to Rusty is the spray bottle, tell your husband it’s not cruel, it’s PURE WATER and only a couple little drops in the squirt.
Giving him a bath is making him much more wet than a little spray to have him know that chewing things he isn’t allowed to chew and peeing in the house is NOT allowed. He could have gone in the rain with a jacket and got 2 drops on him while peeing if he went outside, he still gets water on him if he does that inside due to the spray bottle with water.

Rusty too when he was a pup liked to chew on my dads recliner, but the wood part of the bottom. When I seen him I quietly walked over with spray bottle and a little spray and he knew not to do it again. When we went out and left him out of his crate eventually, I put the spray bottle right beside the chair spot he likes to chew. Never did it again.

When he did pee in the house, I seen when he was going 98% of the time and I sprayed him while he peed in the house and said NO. And let’s go outside so he can finish going. He will learn, and I think he will learn quickly because to them it’s unexpected water and they will associate the unpleasant water on them(most of them hate water), with the peeing in the house and chewing things they shouldn’t.
Yes there was a couple times I didn’t catch him peeing in the house, I didn’t spray him because how do I know it was t from 1/2 hr ago, I just cleaned it up. But if he is sprayed while he is peeing in the house he will learn and it won’t take long.
Try not to let him go in the other from where you can’t see him(I also had to do this with Rusty), call him in where you are and give him his favourite chew or toy.

Yes in the middle of the night if he needs to go outside he will cry like your vet said. Remember the crate is his bed/safe place/favourite bed area- that is the ONLY place Rusty or my other dogs never peed(well once because Rusty had urine crystals that time)- but they will not want to pee in the bed. When he was a puppy that was the only place he would never pee.

Rain or cold weather, I still let Rusty outside and I trust he is going and he goes as quick as possible and he runs inside!
I don’t go out there with my dogs unless it’s needed but especially during cold weather when Rusty wouldn’t ‘fully’ empty his bladder, I would say Rusty go pee again, or I would just say go again, and he did and he looks up at me like ok can I come in now since I did what you wanted! Try that while he is still a pup as I’m sure he is just being like how Rusty was, it’s too cold or rainy out , won’t ‘fully empty the bladder’ and will pee inside instead.

Doesn’t need to be stressful for you, just little things he should pick up on quickly and learn fast.

Good about the vet visit, now you don’t have to worry!

Let me know how things go, I am happy to help😊

I have been thru all these issues with Rusty.

Keep us updated!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
He's peeing in the house because he's just a little baby. Accidents should be expected at this age. In my experience, all of mine were potty trained around 5 - 6 months. At potty time, we would scoop them up and take them out the backdoor. Then, just one day they each went to the door on their own to indicate they needed to go out.

Mavis

Reaction score
When you are wanting to take him outside to potty, can you try walking him with a harness and leash sometimes instead of carrying him, that way he can’t run cause he is on leash but he is being taught he needs to walk to the door and he will be let outside. Rusty actually doesn’t ring the bell, my other dogs do but Rusty let’s me know, he goes to the mat at the back door and sits there patiently, sometimes if he is really needing outside and I didn’t see him walk over to the back door, he will come get me lol. He will look at me and walk to the back door again. Even if you trained Jelly to just walk over to the door even without the bell as long as you can see the back door. If I am letting all my dogs out before bed and Rusty is sleeping or playing I will just say Rusty come outside and go pee, and he runs to the door and goes outside.

If he is peeing in the house and you know that he doesn’t like the rain/cold weather(just like Rusty did), you know that’s why he is peeing in the house cause he doesn’t want to get wet in the rain or get cold, but since Rusty hates water and I knew that was the reason he was peeing in the house even if he didn’t go outside cause it was wet/cold the only thing that got thru to Rusty is the spray bottle, tell your husband it’s not cruel, it’s PURE WATER and only a couple little drops in the squirt.
Giving him a bath is making him much more wet than a little spray to have him know that chewing things he isn’t allowed to chew and peeing in the house is NOT allowed. He could have gone in the rain with a jacket and got 2 drops on him while peeing if he went outside, he still gets water on him if he does that inside due to the spray bottle with water.

Rusty too when he was a pup liked to chew on my dads recliner, but the wood part of the bottom. When I seen him I quietly walked over with spray bottle and a little spray and he knew not to do it again. When we went out and left him out of his crate eventually, I put the spray bottle right beside the chair spot he likes to chew. Never did it again.

When he did pee in the house, I seen when he was going 98% of the time and I sprayed him while he peed in the house and said NO. And let’s go outside so he can finish going. He will learn, and I think he will learn quickly because to them it’s unexpected water and they will associate the unpleasant water on them(most of them hate water), with the peeing in the house and chewing things they shouldn’t.
Yes there was a couple times I didn’t catch him peeing in the house, I didn’t spray him because how do I know it was t from 1/2 hr ago, I just cleaned it up. But if he is sprayed while he is peeing in the house he will learn and it won’t take long.
Try not to let him go in the other from where you can’t see him(I also had to do this with Rusty), call him in where you are and give him his favourite chew or toy.

Yes in the middle of the night if he needs to go outside he will cry like your vet said. Remember the crate is his bed/safe place/favourite bed area- that is the ONLY place Rusty or my other dogs never peed(well once because Rusty had urine crystals that time)- but they will not want to pee in the bed. When he was a puppy that was the only place he would never pee.

Rain or cold weather, I still let Rusty outside and I trust he is going and he goes as quick as possible and he runs inside!
I don’t go out there with my dogs unless it’s needed but especially during cold weather when Rusty wouldn’t ‘fully’ empty his bladder, I would say Rusty go pee again, or I would just say go again, and he did and he looks up at me like ok can I come in now since I did what you wanted! Try that while he is still a pup as I’m sure he is just being like how Rusty was, it’s too cold or rainy out , won’t ‘fully empty the bladder’ and will pee inside instead.

Doesn’t need to be stressful for you, just little things he should pick up on quickly and learn fast.

Good about the vet visit, now you don’t have to worry!

Let me know how things go, I am happy to help😊

I have been thru all these issues with Rusty.

Keep us updated!
Thank you! Rusty is such a good boi!!!!! We will get there with Jelly because he is very smart - he is also very stubborn about not doing what he doesn't want to do. Petey is excellent and goes out and immediately poops and pees. He gets cold easily and makes short work of his bathroom breaks. The hanging bell is coming today and I will walk him to the door on his leash. It's the only way he is going to learn to go to the door. I feel like I need as much training as Jelly does.

He went in his crate last night at 7:30 PM. My husband let him out at midnight and I let him out at 6AM. No crying! He peed right away when I let him out and a good amount. I don't think I was doing anyone any favors by letting him out four times in the night. He'd only pee a tablespoon, and it wasn't teaching him to hold it for very long or doing anything to expand his bladder capacity. My only concern is that even if I put him on a leash to walk to the door, it's a far distance and I'm afraid he's not going to be able to hold it. I think I'll try putting him down when we get to the kitchen and then walking him to the door to ring the bell and go out. Fingers crossed! Going to the grocery store today and a spray bottle is on my list!

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Thank you! Rusty is such a good boi!!!!! We will get there with Jelly because he is very smart - he is also very stubborn about not doing what he doesn't want to do. Petey is excellent and goes out and immediately poops and pees. He gets cold easily and makes short work of his bathroom breaks. The hanging bell is coming today and I will walk him to the door on his leash. It's the only way he is going to learn to go to the door. I feel like I need as much training as Jelly does.

He went in his crate last night at 7:30 PM. My husband let him out at midnight and I let him out at 6AM. No crying! He peed right away when I let him out and a good amount. I don't think I was doing anyone any favors by letting him out four times in the night. He'd only pee a tablespoon, and it wasn't teaching him to hold it for very long or doing anything to expand his bladder capacity. My only concern is that even if I put him on a leash to walk to the door, it's a far distance and I'm afraid he's not going to be able to hold it. I think I'll try putting him down when we get to the kitchen and then walking him to the door to ring the bell and go out. Fingers crossed! Going to the grocery store today and a spray bottle is on my list!

He will get used to the bell hopefully soon.
Even to start you can pick him up and take him over to the door as normal except BEFORE you open the door, put him on the floor and have him touch the bell with the nose or his paw and have him learn that touching the Bell and have it make the noise gets him outside to potty. When the bell is touched by him say do you need outside to potty, and immediately let him outside. He will learn the bell noise means outside to potty.

Awesome about him not crying to go outside! Maybe try only letting him outside 1 time(maybe 12 again) and see how he does. They should be able to go all night without needing outside at his age.

Keep us updated!

Mavis

Reaction score
Well, my husband is not going to spray Jelly. I knew he wouldn't. I am just going to have to watch him like a hawk when he's under my supervision. Potty training is still only about 60%. Today, however, he did really well on going to the door (follows Petey), but once he actually went over there and I asked him if he wanted to go out and opened the door and he did! I just wish I were having more successes than failures. I cannot let him out of my sight, which is difficult. We weighed him today and he is 10 lbs. He will be 12 weeks old on Monday (4/25/22).

I notice a lot of times when he goes out, he'll walk around for a bit or run if Petey's out at the same time, but then he'll often sit. Is that normal?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
General rule of thumb is puppies can hold it for however many months they are plus an hour.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Well, my husband is not going to spray Jelly. I knew he wouldn't. I am just going to have to watch him like a hawk when he's under my supervision. Potty training is still only about 60%. Today, however, he did really well on going to the door (follows Petey), but once he actually went over there and I asked him if he wanted to go out and opened the door and he did! I just wish I were having more successes than failures. I cannot let him out of my sight, which is difficult. We weighed him today and he is 10 lbs. He will be 12 weeks old on Monday (4/25/22).

I notice a lot of times when he goes out, he'll walk around for a bit or run if Petey's out at the same time, but then he'll often sit. Is that normal?

That’s awesome he went to the door today! Things will get better and he will learn, just be patient and watch him!

He is trying to communicate play with Petey to play outside it sounds like. Rusty did that with my 2 other dogs.

How does he like the bell?

Mavis

Reaction score
That’s awesome he went to the door today! Things will get better and he will learn, just be patient and watch him!

He is trying to communicate play with Petey to play outside it sounds like. Rusty did that with my 2 other dogs.

How does he like the bell?
I don't know if he "gets" the bell yet, but we are working on it every time he goes out. This morning, I carried him to the door (7 hours in crate), jingled the bell, and he went in the garage and squated on the concrete instead of stepping outside. I caught him early, told him "no," and carried him outside where he finished peeing. He pooped, too, which is always a bonus. I let him in immediately. Later when Petey came out, we all went to the door, jingled the bell, Petey went out but Jelly stood in the doorway, turned around and peed on the large bed on the floor in the kitchen. Luckily, my husband had covered it in plastic with a fitted sheet on top that can be washed. I caught him as he was finishing, gave him a sharp no, and sprayed his a$$. :mad:;) Honestly, this is a complete test of wills. He is really being stubborn because I can tell he is very smart.

He is doing great with play (no more biting Petey). They play very well together, have fun, but it's appropriate play. I notice he doesn't chew things he shouldn't as much and he is doing well with "no bite." Better with me than my husband because I am firm with him and my husband looks at discipline as emotional abuse. Oops, gotta go - more later.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
I don't know if he "gets" the bell yet, but we are working on it every time he goes out. This morning, I carried him to the door (7 hours in crate), jingled the bell, and he went in the garage and squated on the concrete instead of stepping outside. I caught him early, told him "no," and carried him outside where he finished peeing. He pooped, too, which is always a bonus. I let him in immediately. Later when Petey came out, we all went to the door, jingled the bell, Petey went out but Jelly stood in the doorway, turned around and peed on the large bed on the floor in the kitchen. Luckily, my husband had covered it in plastic with a fitted sheet on top that can be washed. I caught him as he was finishing, gave him a sharp no, and sprayed his a$$. :mad:;) Honestly, this is a complete test of wills. He is really being stubborn because I can tell he is very smart.

He is doing great with play (no more biting Petey). They play very well together, have fun, but it's appropriate play. I notice he doesn't chew things he shouldn't as much and he is doing well with "no bite." Better with me than my husband because I am firm with him and my husband looks at discipline as emotional abuse. Oops, gotta go - more later.

It definitely sounds like he is being stubborn today. Rusty used to do the exact same thing and then once he realized he got a little water from being sprayed he stopped that almost completely when he figured it out. They are very smart dogs.
What was his reaction when you sprayed him? I’m asking cause most dogs don’t like it(especially Frenchies that don’t like water), but I know some dogs that actually like it(this dog is not a Frenchie).
Just be consistent with it and he will learn quickly that being stubborn and peeing in the house means a little spray of water.

That’s great they play really good and he doesn’t bite.

Keep us updated.
Any more photos of Jelly???

Mavis

Reaction score
It definitely sounds like he is being stubborn today. Rusty used to do the exact same thing and then once he realized he got a little water from being sprayed he stopped that almost completely when he figured it out. They are very smart dogs.
What was his reaction when you sprayed him? I’m asking cause most dogs don’t like it(especially Frenchies that don’t like water), but I know some dogs that actually like it(this dog is not a Frenchie).
Just be consistent with it and he will learn quickly that being stubborn and peeing in the house means a little spray of water.

That’s great they play really good and he doesn’t bite.

Keep us updated.
Any more photos of Jelly???
God bless for all your attention!

All I have are photos and videos of Jelly! I have to transfer more from my phone to my computer.

I don't know if he saw it was me who sprayed him, but he didn't like it and went running. More pee again in the house this morning. I find a tablespoon here and there, so he's going at will and not holding it. Again, I know the secret is to NEVER let him out of my sight and be within feet of him, however, that has proven to be so hard. My husband doesn't care what he does and is not going to reprimand him. (For "no bite!," he'll tell him "ouch!" and then keeps his hand right next to him without sticking his toy in his mouth, etc.) He is driving me nuts because I feel like I am doing this all by myself. Anyway, it's hard to be next to him every moment on my watch because I have things I need to do - put groceries away, this morning I got some seed pots started (kitchen prep), just little things like that. None of this takes me long, and I let him out immediately when we get home before doing ANYTHING. He pees outside, I praise him, we come right back in - and then he pees half an hour later when I am distracted! And it's not very much or like he couldn't hold it. It's tough. I KNOW we will get this, however, I just don't know when he will be trustworthy and fully housebroken at the rate we are going.

He is a very affectionate puppy. Every morning I let him out when he gets up and he plays quietly on the floor for about 15-20 minutes, then wants immediately up on the couch with me. We'll play with his chew toy for a bit and then he falls asleep for a couple of hours on my lap while I watch tv and have my coffee. He is climbing on me, too, and licking or mouthing my face without biting, which is nice.

Attachments

• Jelly - 4-20-22 1.jpg
    Jelly - 4-20-22 1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 3

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
God bless for all your attention!

All I have are photos and videos of Jelly! I have to transfer more from my phone to my computer.

I don't know if he saw it was me who sprayed him, but he didn't like it and went running. More pee again in the house this morning. I find a tablespoon here and there, so he's going at will and not holding it. Again, I know the secret is to NEVER let him out of my sight and be within feet of him, however, that has proven to be so hard. My husband doesn't care what he does and is not going to reprimand him. (For "no bite!," he'll tell him "ouch!" and then keeps his hand right next to him without sticking his toy in his mouth, etc.) He is driving me nuts because I feel like I am doing this all by myself. Anyway, it's hard to be next to him every moment on my watch because I have things I need to do - put groceries away, this morning I got some seed pots started (kitchen prep), just little things like that. None of this takes me long, and I let him out immediately when we get home before doing ANYTHING. He pees outside, I praise him, we come right back in - and then he pees half an hour later when I am distracted! And it's not very much or like he couldn't hold it. It's tough. I KNOW we will get this, however, I just don't know when he will be trustworthy and fully housebroken at the rate we are going.

He is a very affectionate puppy. Every morning I let him out when he gets up and he plays quietly on the floor for about 15-20 minutes, then wants immediately up on the couch with me. We'll play with his chew toy for a bit and then he falls asleep for a couple of hours on my lap while I watch tv and have my coffee. He is climbing on me, too, and licking or mouthing my face without biting, which is nice.

OMG the photo you attached is ADORABLE!!! He is SO cute and it looks like him and Petey like to curl up on you!

Rusty came home at 11 weeks of age and from the day I got him it took 1 full month to have him ‘fully’ potty trained.

That’s good that he didn’t like the spray bottle at least you know it’s like Rusty and didn’t like water. This will help teach him to NOT pee in the house and he will get praised for doing it outside and the spray is for when he is doing it in the house.

I know it can be hard to not let him out of your sight when your busy, Rusty too was like that when he first came home, but it gets better and just be consistent with taking him out and continue to watch him like a hawk and if he does pee in the house for any reason, a spray of water will work, but consistency is key for things like that, no matter where he goes, he will learn! They are incredibly smart dogs and like to please their owners and be with us. They love the attention so when he gets praised for going outside he will know he is being a very good boy and he gets lots of attention, and the opposite is if he pees in the house! He is still a puppy and just like Rusty he will learn and hopefully it won’t take longer than 1 month like it took Rusty for learning to NOT have accidents in the house and for you to be able to relax without watching him like a hawk all the time.

That’s good it sounds like you have a routine with him, him curling up on couch and sleep next to you is great.

I love the photo of him and Petey, thanks for sharing the photo, keep them coming!

Mavis

Reaction score
OMG the photo you attached is ADORABLE!!! He is SO cute and it looks like him and Petey like to curl up on you!

Rusty came home at 11 weeks of age and from the day I got him it took 1 full month to have him ‘fully’ potty trained.

That’s good that he didn’t like the spray bottle at least you know it’s like Rusty and didn’t like water. This will help teach him to NOT pee in the house and he will get praised for doing it outside and the spray is for when he is doing it in the house.

I know it can be hard to not let him out of your sight when your busy, Rusty too was like that when he first came home, but it gets better and just be consistent with taking him out and continue to watch him like a hawk and if he does pee in the house for any reason, a spray of water will work, but consistency is key for things like that, no matter where he goes, he will learn! They are incredibly smart dogs and like to please their owners and be with us. They love the attention so when he gets praised for going outside he will know he is being a very good boy and he gets lots of attention, and the opposite is if he pees in the house! He is still a puppy and just like Rusty he will learn and hopefully it won’t take longer than 1 month like it took Rusty for learning to NOT have accidents in the house and for you to be able to relax without watching him like a hawk all the time.

That’s good it sounds like you have a routine with him, him curling up on couch and sleep next to you is great.

I love the photo of him and Petey, thanks for sharing the photo, keep them coming!
He did well this morning. Pooped and peed first thing, let him out an hour later when I smelled gas, and he pooped and peed again. That is one good thing about him loving to be on the couch so much with me and Petey. He is contained and I can read him better. In spite of going out twice, he still squatted on the carpet. He doesn't have a lot, and I don't know why he does it. I don't think he has a UTI. I was able to spray him from ten feet away (great sprayer!). He didn't like it, but I don't know how much he gets it. I will just keep up with watching him and letting him out. He goes from midnight to 6:30 AM without going in his crate or crying.

He seems to be getting so big. We got him two weeks ago at 8.4 lbs. He was 10 lbs. on Friday. I hope he keeps a nice, chubby, compact body and isn't long. Breeder said his mother and father were 22-23 lbs. His father seemed longer and not quite typical. It's impossible to find decent breeders around here. One more thing to worry about. He is very affectionate. I keep saying it, but I can tell he is very smart. I have got to start teaching him to sit, down, stay and leash train. It's so intimidating, I don't even want to start! My sister is coming over in a few to visit and help socialize him.

Attachments

• Jelly in his bed - 4-14-22.jpg
    Jelly in his bed - 4-14-22.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Jelly and John - 4-14-22.jpg
    Jelly and John - 4-14-22.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 5

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
He did well this morning. Pooped and peed first thing, let him out an hour later when I smelled gas, and he pooped and peed again. That is one good thing about him loving to be on the couch so much with me and Petey. He is contained and I can read him better. In spite of going out twice, he still squatted on the carpet. He doesn't have a lot, and I don't know why he does it. I don't think he has a UTI. I was able to spray him from ten feet away (great sprayer!). He didn't like it, but I don't know how much he gets it. I will just keep up with watching him and letting him out. He goes from midnight to 6:30 AM without going in his crate or crying.

He seems to be getting so big. We got him two weeks ago at 8.4 lbs. He was 10 lbs. on Friday. I hope he keeps a nice, chubby, compact body and isn't long. Breeder said his mother and father were 22-23 lbs. His father seemed longer and not quite typical. It's impossible to find decent breeders around here. One more thing to worry about. He is very affectionate. I keep saying it, but I can tell he is very smart. I have got to start teaching him to sit, down, stay and leash train. It's so intimidating, I don't even want to start! My sister is coming over in a few to visit and help socialize him.

It’s gonna take a little bit for him to figure it out. Rusty didn’t get it either at first until he knew every pee in the house=Spray.

Has he been drinking more often???? I’m asking because it sounds like he could be a little stubborn by peeing on carpet after being outside OR he could have urine crystals or UTI.
Even if he isn’t drinking more often that can still mean crystals.

Did you end up getting him off Purina food???? When are you gonna get him off that food? Is he still itching??
Is his urine dark? That helps us know if he does have crystals. I Know these are lots of questions but I ask so I can help, as I have been thru all this with Rusty.

Crystals can be very simple to treat if they are not in constant dehydration from dry foods(kibble).

Jelly is SO cute! I love the photos! Spoiled like Rusty I can see😊

Mavis

Reaction score
It’s gonna take a little bit for him to figure it out. Rusty didn’t get it either at first until he knew every pee in the house=Spray.

Has he been drinking more often???? I’m asking because it sounds like he could be a little stubborn by peeing on carpet after being outside OR he could have urine crystals or UTI.
Even if he isn’t drinking more often that can still mean crystals.

Did you end up getting him off Purina food???? When are you gonna get him off that food? Is he still itching??
Is his urine dark? That helps us know if he does have crystals. I Know these are lots of questions but I ask so I can help, as I have been thru all this with Rusty.

Crystals can be very simple to treat if they are not in constant dehydration from dry foods(kibble).

Jelly is SO cute! I love the photos! Spoiled like Rusty I can see😊
He seems to drink well, and we wet his food with hot water and then drain it. It gets somewhat soft and in the beginning it seemed to help him with his appetite as he used to be a free feeder when he came to us. He has water in his daytime crate but not in his nighttime crate. The most he's ever in his daytime crate is two hours. I don't know if he ever drinks while he's in there. It's usually more like 60-90 minutes that we're gone. His urine does not look dark to me. Next time he pees on the patio, I will sop it up with a paper towel and post a picture here.

I haven't switched him to the Raised Right yet. I don't know why I am hesitating. I am thinking when he gets older, he is going to eat way more than a cup of food a day, which is what he does now. What do you think about Brothers Lamb Meal and Egg Formula Advanced Allergy Care Grain Free Dry Dog Food? That is what we were giving Bambi (and Petey). Petey is still on that, however, he doesn't have any allergies or issues.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
He seems to drink well, and we wet his food with hot water and then drain it. It gets somewhat soft and in the beginning it seemed to help him with his appetite as he used to be a free feeder when he came to us. He has water in his daytime crate but not in his nighttime crate. The most he's ever in his daytime crate is two hours. I don't know if he ever drinks while he's in there. It's usually more like 60-90 minutes that we're gone. His urine does not look dark to me. Next time he pees on the patio, I will sop it up with a paper towel and post a picture here.

I haven't switched him to the Raised Right yet. I don't know why I am hesitating. I am thinking when he gets older, he is going to eat way more than a cup of food a day, which is what he does now. What do you think about Brothers Lamb Meal and Egg Formula Advanced Allergy Care Grain Free Dry Dog Food? That is what we were giving Bambi (and Petey). Petey is still on that, however, he doesn't have any allergies or issues.

Rusty is only 22 pounds and he had always been fed 1 cup a day and maintained his weight at high energy.

If his urine doesn’t look dark, then he likely does NOT have crystals in his urine.
Encourage him to continue drinking more water to prevent UTI and Crystals in urine.

I just looked up the brothers lamb allergy care food, by looking at the ingredients it looks like the quality of the protein itself is questionable because it has added amino acids and some other synthetic vitamins.
When good quality protein is used, no ‘added amino acids’ or vitamins are needed. Added vitamins and minerals aren’t absorbed much either.
Lots of starch in there.

I’m not saying don’t do it but I also don’t recommend it. Some dogs it works for, some it might not.

The key for allergies(preventative and treatment) is rotate the food( not the same thing every day), for example 1 day is beef, next is Turkey, next Is lamb, next is fish (this goes for no matter what food you feed) as they can develop allergies from eating the same thing every day.

Even if you choose to not put him on Raised Right, you have other options such as Raw diet, and other good kibbles such as:
-Carna 4
-Natures logic
-Orijen
-Acana(higher in carbs than the others I listed above).
-zignature(but also like Acana it’s higher in carbs).

Stay away from brands such as:

-Purina
-Royal canin
-Hills
-Science diet
-Eukanuba-this caused my 2 other dogs(not Rusty)- their kidney disease because of all the garbage ingredients and fillers that are used in ALL these foods I just listed to stay away from.
And anything you can buy at the grocery stores(same goes for treats).

The ‘chicken by products’ can be any leftovers from human food such as beaks, feathers, and other non-edible products humans can’t eat. Corn is also not nutritious at all, just fillers.

If your worried about something not having a ‘puppy formula’, the only difference is only 1% fat in the guaranteed analysis. No other differences from doing puppy to adult food.

I am giving this information to help you out, not for trying to worry you. I learned that the hard way with all the Heath issues My dogs have had with all 3 of my dogs. And I did 3 nutrition courses for dogs(kibble, raw diet, and advanced), I love helping others find a good diet and improve the health of the dogs-especially frenchies and their health issues!

Mavis

Reaction score
Rusty is only 22 pounds and he had always been fed 1 cup a day and maintained his weight at high energy.

If his urine doesn’t look dark, then he likely does NOT have crystals in his urine.
Encourage him to continue drinking more water to prevent UTI and Crystals in urine.

I just looked up the brothers lamb allergy care food, by looking at the ingredients it looks like the quality of the protein itself is questionable because it has added amino acids and some other synthetic vitamins.
When good quality protein is used, no ‘added amino acids’ or vitamins are needed. Added vitamins and minerals aren’t absorbed much either.
Lots of starch in there.

I’m not saying don’t do it but I also don’t recommend it. Some dogs it works for, some it might not.

The key for allergies(preventative and treatment) is rotate the food( not the same thing every day), for example 1 day is beef, next is Turkey, next Is lamb, next is fish (this goes for no matter what food you feed) as they can develop allergies from eating the same thing every day.

Even if you choose to not put him on Raised Right, you have other options such as Raw diet, and other good kibbles such as:
-Carna 4
-Natures logic
-Orijen
-Acana(higher in carbs than the others I listed above).
-zignature(but also like Acana it’s higher in carbs).

Stay away from brands such as:

-Purina
-Royal canin
-Hills
-Science diet
-Eukanuba-this caused my 2 other dogs(not Rusty)- their kidney disease because of all the garbage ingredients and fillers that are used in ALL these foods I just listed to stay away from.
And anything you can buy at the grocery stores(same goes for treats).

The ‘chicken by products’ can be any leftovers from human food such as beaks, feathers, and other non-edible products humans can’t eat. Corn is also not nutritious at all, just fillers.

If your worried about something not having a ‘puppy formula’, the only difference is only 1% fat in the guaranteed analysis. No other differences from doing puppy to adult food.

I am giving this information to help you out, not for trying to worry you. I learned that the hard way with all the Heath issues My dogs have had with all 3 of my dogs. And I did 3 nutrition courses for dogs(kibble, raw diet, and advanced), I love helping others find a good diet and improve the health of the dogs-especially frenchies and their health issues!
Thank you so much!

I knew the Purina, SD, RC, and Eucanubu were s*&^ foods. I have to get him off of the Purina soon. Geez, before feeding Bambi the Brothers, I looked it up on Dog Food Advisor and it got five stars, so I thought I was feeding a premium food. Are you saying Rusty eats the same amount of food now as when he was a pup (1 cup/day)? I assumed at some point soon, we would have to increase the amount of what Jelly would get. Actually, we have as my husband gives both of them a "mid-day snack" (1/8 c. for Jelly), and then a "bedtime snack" (probably another 1/8 c. for Jelly). He's gained 1.6 lbs. in two weeks since we got him. I hope he matures at around 22 lbs., although obviously, he will tell us what he is going to be.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Thank you so much!

I knew the Purina, SD, RC, and Eucanubu were s*&^ foods. I have to get him off of the Purina soon. Geez, before feeding Bambi the Brothers, I looked it up on Dog Food Advisor and it got five stars, so I thought I was feeding a premium food. Are you saying Rusty eats the same amount of food now as when he was a pup (1 cup/day)? I assumed at some point soon, we would have to increase the amount of what Jelly would get. Actually, we have as my husband gives both of them a "mid-day snack" (1/8 c. for Jelly), and then a "bedtime snack" (probably another 1/8 c. for Jelly). He's gained 1.6 lbs. in two weeks since we got him. I hope he matures at around 22 lbs., although obviously, he will tell us what he is going to be.

I used to use dog food advisor website but until I seen the garbage foods 5 stars I stopped using the website and now that I have taken all 3 the dog nutrition courses, I just evaluate the pet foods myself and not on dog food advisor, especially that the garbage foods are getting 5 stars.
Most dog foods are for marketing NOT for the health of the dog eating the food, same with vet foods, ALL marketing and causing other health issues.
Dogs eating those foods are eating out of a garbage can basically, no wonder so many dogs have SO many Health issues!!

Yes Rusty was always fed 1 cup a day as a puppy and now still only eats 1 cup daily.

Yes that’s good he gets a bedtime snack and a mid day snack. A total of 1 cup daily is average for them even as adults(of course if they are bigger they get more) , but Rusty being fairly active and being 3 years old at 22 pounds, he still gets 1 cup total daily.

If his parents are around 22-23 pounds he should not be bigger then that.

Rusty’s mom was 19 pounds and his dad was 28 pounds, and Rusty is 22 pounds!

Even when Rusty was young like Jelly, we basically Feed the amount for a 22 lb dog(most people do this) and he growed good, and is at ideal weight.

But be careful as pet food companies recommend more for marketing purposes on the recommended feeding guidelines on the bag(they try to make people feed more of their food).

As long as the calorie content of the new food is about the same as his current food, just continue to feed 1 cup a day. If his parents are 22-23 pounds, he should be the same, and so you only need to feed the 1 cup a day for him.

They will gain weight on ‘low quality food’,
My other dog(not Rusty) was put on vet food for the kidney disease and she was fed the exact same amount as the other food she was eating, she gained 12 pounds because of the ‘fillers’. Now she is maintaining all her weight on this food she is on.

Also Rusty was put on RC vet food, for a potential food allergy(this was before I took the courses to find those foods are garbage), since he was on that for ONLY 8 weeks (this was 2 years ago) , that caused his vomiting due to empty stomach and now requiring bedtime snack @10:30 before bed. This was NEVER a issue until he was put on the RC 2 years ago for 8 weeks. The health issue it caused is still here, but thankfully it’s manageable with a snack before bed and breakfast early.

Health issues can be prevented and healed thru good diet. His health has improved greatly and he has been on this food for 3 weeks.

High carbs/fillers=Inflammation and disease!
Dry food(except the good quality kibbles I listed)=dehydration, Urine crystals/stones, kidney and liver issues, dental disease, allergies, inflammation diseases(arthritis and others).
Carbs=tumours and cancers(Rusty did have an eyelid tumour removed a year ago, things like this don’t happen overnight and 95% of health issues can be prevented thru diet!)

Dogs and cats have NO requirements for carbs at all, most of the time it just causes health issues.

Of course their is good dry foods(which I listed for you in the other reply), but most kibbles and canned cause so many health issues.

After the puppy shots, they are protected for life and no longer requires yearly or every 3 year vaccinations. I didn’t know this and Rusty ended up with SO bad skin allergies at the injection site-that required surgery for skin biopsy!

My 2 other dogs that have Kidney disease(not Rusty)- they are on a low phosphorus raw diet(low carb) and bloodwork came back amazing-everything in normal range, the vets are shocked how well they are doing!

Rusty is healthier on Raised Right low carb food than he was on any kibble(haven’t tried raw diet for him yet).

But no matter what kibble out of the ‘good’ food kibbles I listed in the last reply, you choose and make sure you give variety to prevent him from developing food allergies from eating the same thing every day.

Hopefully you can get Jelly on a better food soon!
I’m always happy to help!
Keep us updated!