Housebreaking

Mavis

Reaction score
They are such great dogs! Rusty is still stubborn too sometimes 😊
Jelly looks like such a sweet boy in those photos you attached the other day!

That’s crazy now he prefers the deck.
That’s awesome if he is continuing to improve and listen with potty training and going outside!

They are very smart and know who they can get away with stuff with! Definitely doesn’t take long! Rusty knows he can do things he isn’t allowed to do when I’m at a work and my parents are home with him(run upstairs instead of waiting).

Yes it’s definitely better to be safe than sorry when trimming the nails, especially when they are pups!

Rusty’s adult teeth were coming in at that age, at least Jelly is being good about not biting😊👍

Around 5-6 months of age Rusty’s behaviour started to change(but he was around a lot of other dogs too then) and he got more stubborn and ‘rude/humpy’
But I’m glad he doesn’t lift his leg and mark his territory! Since Jelly is just around Petey? He shouldn’t be ‘Rude/humpy’ hopefully!

Oh my 5 months already almost, where did the time go!

Good boy Jelly for ringing the bell!
Rusty just sits at the door, he doesn’t like ringing the bell, but at least I know when he needs outside.

He hates the rain too! He looked at me today when it was raining, like Really do I have to go outside in this? He is always in in like 30 seconds when it’s raining!
They definitely don’t like to get wet!
Jelly outweighs Petey by almost two pounds now, but he still acts submissive to Petey, thankfully. Petey mouths Jelly's neck, legs, muzzle, ears, and makes growly noises, and Jelly just lays on his back and loves it. As soon as Petey stops, Jelly is up and initiating more play. They are so adorable. Jelly has been the most wonderful addition for Petey. Bambi was the most gentle, loving dog, but she never played. I think that is because she was basically crated by herself for three years as a breeder and out very little.

It's funny you talk about Rusty hating getting wet. We have about an 8 inch area under the roof overhang that stays dry in the rain. Jelly will stay under the overhang and pee there and then sit! Speaking of water, the squirt bottle has been great for various things. Petey runs the back fence with the neighbors dogs. There are two large berms there that I can't get behind. He goes in there and refuses to come out, running and barking out of reach. I wouldn't care, however, he can have bouts of IVDD sometimes afterwards and then we have to medicate him for a day or so, depending on how severe. I also don't like the barking for too long. The squirt bottle has done wonders to get him to stop and come out. Jelly can be stubborn about coming in the house from the garage. Seems like that little you know what knows exactly what I am asking and will deliberately do the opposite. 😁 Anyway, the squirt bottle works well for that, too.

It will be interesting to see Jelly once his hormones start to hit. I'm not too worried because he has been very gentle with Petey. Maybe because Petey is so much older (?).

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Jelly outweighs Petey by almost two pounds now, but he still acts submissive to Petey, thankfully. Petey mouths Jelly's neck, legs, muzzle, ears, and makes growly noises, and Jelly just lays on his back and loves it. As soon as Petey stops, Jelly is up and initiating more play. They are so adorable. Jelly has been the most wonderful addition for Petey. Bambi was the most gentle, loving dog, but she never played. I think that is because she was basically crated by herself for three years as a breeder and out very little.

It's funny you talk about Rusty hating getting wet. We have about an 8 inch area under the roof overhang that stays dry in the rain. Jelly will stay under the overhang and pee there and then sit! Speaking of water, the squirt bottle has been great for various things. Petey runs the back fence with the neighbors dogs. There are two large berms there that I can't get behind. He goes in there and refuses to come out, running and barking out of reach. I wouldn't care, however, he can have bouts of IVDD sometimes afterwards and then we have to medicate him for a day or so, depending on how severe. I also don't like the barking for too long. The squirt bottle has done wonders to get him to stop and come out. Jelly can be stubborn about coming in the house from the garage. Seems like that little you know what knows exactly what I am asking and will deliberately do the opposite. 😁 Anyway, the squirt bottle works well for that, too.

It will be interesting to see Jelly once his hormones start to hit. I'm not too worried because he has been very gentle with Petey. Maybe because Petey is so much older (?).

That’s awesome they play so good!
Rusty plays like that with my other dogs(2 golden retrievers), Rusty will tease her and hide behind the table to get her going crazy and he will run around the kitchen, then they play with their mouths open and she likes to play with Rusty’s ears and neck(Rusty loves her ears too).
They play so cute!

It’s good they all have someone to play with. Rusty likes dogs his size that play like him! But the golden retrievers are much bigger than him!
I’m sure Jelly likes that Petey is around the same size as him!
They must tire each other out!

There is only a tiny bit of the grass area covered from the roof, and the BBQ is there too, but Rusty comes out the door, and gets a little wet cause that part isn’t covered, but then he rushes to the area that is covered and hides under the BBQ and pees then rushes in in less than 30 seconds cause he hates the cold and hates getting wet!
That’s funny Jelly does that too, goes under cover to pee cause he doesn’t want to get wet!

Poor Petey, I didn’t know he has IVDD flares!
was he actually diagnosed with IVDD before? Can he always use his back legs??
That’s my biggest fear for Rusty is him getting IVDD, I say NO jumping off furniture, and no stairs, or course if I’m working he will do it cause he knows my mom won’t tell him no.

Yes that spray bottle works wonders, especially for dogs who hate water/rain.
I carry it on walks and into pet stores when he comes in case he sees another dog and gets excited and does that Frenchie scream! Have you heard that Frenchie Scream yet??
Rusty does that when he doesn’t get what he wants, and he loves to bark, barks to get me to play and barks at other dogs to play!

Yesterday I took them for a walk, it was starting to sprinkle so I wanted to get them out before it’s raining, I actually forgot the spray bottle.
He knows when I have it on hand and when I forget☹️ Then he will act up and do that scream(which he does very loud).
Smart dogs!

Crazy Jelly, Rusty used to do that and sometimes still does, they know what we are asking but will do the opposite the odd time.

It will definitely be interesting of how Jelly will act, I’m sure he will still be gentle with Petey, I think they do know to be. Keep gentle with older dogs.
Rusty is very good about the older golden(she is 8) and the other is 6(he plays with her).
The 8 year old he doesn’t really play with and he just sniffs her when she isn’t well.

Rusty used to be ‘rude’ on the older golden(the 8 year old) this was 2 years ago though before he got neutered.

But if Petey is the only dog he is with, he should be good.

How’s Jelly’s itchy skin?
SO much more pollen around, last night on the walk all the dogs were sneezing and Rusty’s eyes went very red☹️

I bought him his own car seat for the car because he will sit on me and dig on me if he wants a treat and he wants to go sit of front and get treats, so I am always getting digged on by him! He loves his seat! I attached a couple photos, he loves it and he likes to hide his face and curl up in it😊

The top photo is him in their toy bins trying to find a certain toy to play with! They have 2 other toy bins upstairs and 1 other one on the same floor as these, too many toys lol.

I had to attach the bottom photos too cause this is him right now as I am typing this. He wants to cuddle on the couch, which he is currently doing at this very moment, I love how he puts his paws up on the couch.

Any more photos of handsome Jelly?
I love seeing the photos 😊

1654703393223.jpeg
1654703431566.jpeg
1654703581652.jpeg
1654703595533.jpeg
1654703704102.jpeg
1654703717718.jpeg

Mavis

Reaction score
That’s awesome they play so good!
Rusty plays like that with my other dogs(2 golden retrievers), Rusty will tease her and hide behind the table to get her going crazy and he will run around the kitchen, then they play with their mouths open and she likes to play with Rusty’s ears and neck(Rusty loves her ears too).
They play so cute!

It’s good they all have someone to play with. Rusty likes dogs his size that play like him! But the golden retrievers are much bigger than him!
I’m sure Jelly likes that Petey is around the same size as him!
They must tire each other out!

There is only a tiny bit of the grass area covered from the roof, and the BBQ is there too, but Rusty comes out the door, and gets a little wet cause that part isn’t covered, but then he rushes to the area that is covered and hides under the BBQ and pees then rushes in in less than 30 seconds cause he hates the cold and hates getting wet!
That’s funny Jelly does that too, goes under cover to pee cause he doesn’t want to get wet!

Poor Petey, I didn’t know he has IVDD flares!
was he actually diagnosed with IVDD before? Can he always use his back legs??
That’s my biggest fear for Rusty is him getting IVDD, I say NO jumping off furniture, and no stairs, or course if I’m working he will do it cause he knows my mom won’t tell him no.

Yes that spray bottle works wonders, especially for dogs who hate water/rain.
I carry it on walks and into pet stores when he comes in case he sees another dog and gets excited and does that Frenchie scream! Have you heard that Frenchie Scream yet??
Rusty does that when he doesn’t get what he wants, and he loves to bark, barks to get me to play and barks at other dogs to play!

Yesterday I took them for a walk, it was starting to sprinkle so I wanted to get them out before it’s raining, I actually forgot the spray bottle.
He knows when I have it on hand and when I forget☹️ Then he will act up and do that scream(which he does very loud).
Smart dogs!

Crazy Jelly, Rusty used to do that and sometimes still does, they know what we are asking but will do the opposite the odd time.

It will definitely be interesting of how Jelly will act, I’m sure he will still be gentle with Petey, I think they do know to be. Keep gentle with older dogs.
Rusty is very good about the older golden(she is 8) and the other is 6(he plays with her).
The 8 year old he doesn’t really play with and he just sniffs her when she isn’t well.

Rusty used to be ‘rude’ on the older golden(the 8 year old) this was 2 years ago though before he got neutered.

But if Petey is the only dog he is with, he should be good.

How’s Jelly’s itchy skin?
SO much more pollen around, last night on the walk all the dogs were sneezing and Rusty’s eyes went very red☹️

I bought him his own car seat for the car because he will sit on me and dig on me if he wants a treat and he wants to go sit of front and get treats, so I am always getting digged on by him! He loves his seat! I attached a couple photos, he loves it and he likes to hide his face and curl up in it😊

The top photo is him in their toy bins trying to find a certain toy to play with! They have 2 other toy bins upstairs and 1 other one on the same floor as these, too many toys lol.

I had to attach the bottom photos too cause this is him right now as I am typing this. He wants to cuddle on the couch, which he is currently doing at this very moment, I love how he puts his paws up on the couch.

Any more photos of handsome Jelly?
I love seeing the photos 😊

View attachment 15897
View attachment 15898
View attachment 15899
View attachment 15900
View attachment 15901
View attachment 15902
OMG, I don't think Jelly will ever be as good as Rusty!!!! 😭 A lot of that will be my fault because I really haven't worked with or trained him other than housebreaking, biting, and messing with our feet (I think that was a puppy thing that he's grown out of). Anything that makes him upset, I acquiesce - like I"m imagining a car seat would cause - and forget my husband. John thinks putting him in a carseat or even having him wear a collar around the house is cruel. Drives me nuts. I know car seats are safe and really necessary because of that.

Petey had his IVDD when we adopted him at eight years old. We found out after he raced the fence and then had a bad episode. We didn't have any medication at the time and didn't know what it was or how to treat it. He screamed so bad in pain that we took him to the emergency vet. Long story short, they gave him meloxican while he was there, released him 12 hours later, we took him home, and he had horrible diaharrea and was hemmoraghing blood. He lost so much blood and fluid, he was almost a goner. We took him back and they had him for three days. He was on everything - anti-nausea, anti diahreah, IV fluid, anti-inflamatories, appetite stimulant (if/when he did eat, he'd immediately get diahrea). It was horrible!!!! Every time the vet called, he wasn't making any progress. They finally got him under control and he was released ($2,600 later, and we had just had him for two months). We were just happy he was better. No more meloxicam!!!! I swear that is what caused his stomach issues to begin with. Anyway, after that, we noticed that he would have an episode after running the fence bad (believe me, we don't ever leave him out unattended), but he would not let us catch him when he was doing it. Now, we treat him after any bad episodes and it seems to work. He will have an episode periodically, but the longest it has lasted is two days with medication - usually we can get it under control in like 12 hours.

Can you see Jelly's markings in the third picture? Hard to tell but his white is surrounded by black. I don't know if he is a standard color.

Attachments

• Jelly - 6-7-22.jpg
    Jelly - 6-7-22.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Jelly - 6-7-22 2.jpg
    Jelly - 6-7-22 2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Peteys diahreah.jpg
    Peteys diahreah.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 4

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
OMG, I don't think Jelly will ever be as good as Rusty!!!! 😭 A lot of that will be my fault because I really haven't worked with or trained him other than housebreaking, biting, and messing with our feet (I think that was a puppy thing that he's grown out of). Anything that makes him upset, I acquiesce - like I"m imagining a car seat would cause - and forget my husband. John thinks putting him in a carseat or even having him wear a collar around the house is cruel. Drives me nuts. I know car seats are safe and really necessary because of that.

Petey had his IVDD when we adopted him at eight years old. We found out after he raced the fence and then had a bad episode. We didn't have any medication at the time and didn't know what it was or how to treat it. He screamed so bad in pain that we took him to the emergency vet. Long story short, they gave him meloxican while he was there, released him 12 hours later, we took him home, and he had horrible diaharrea and was hemmoraghing blood. He lost so much blood and fluid, he was almost a goner. We took him back and they had him for three days. He was on everything - anti-nausea, anti diahreah, IV fluid, anti-inflamatories, appetite stimulant (if/when he did eat, he'd immediately get diahrea). It was horrible!!!! Every time the vet called, he wasn't making any progress. They finally got him under control and he was released ($2,600 later, and we had just had him for two months). We were just happy he was better. No more meloxicam!!!! I swear that is what caused his stomach issues to begin with. Anyway, after that, we noticed that he would have an episode after running the fence bad (believe me, we don't ever leave him out unattended), but he would not let us catch him when he was doing it. Now, we treat him after any bad episodes and it seems to work. He will have an episode periodically, but the longest it has lasted is two days with medication - usually we can get it under control in like 12 hours.

Can you see Jelly's markings in the third picture? Hard to tell but his white is surrounded by black. I don't know if he is a standard color.

He is still smart, it’s never too late to train him😊 Rusty is 3 and I got the car seat like 2 weeks ago but I am always in the back seat next to him.
Last night my parents put him in the seat and hooked him up(usually he is on their lap upfront getting treats), and he was good other than expecting treats from them like he usually does. He is proud In the seat😊 when we go for a drive he will stay in his seat for 90% of the ride then he will try and get out and I will ask him to sit before I unhook him and let him curl up on my lap.
It’s so frustrating when someone says ‘no that’s cruel’ to having a collar or having a seat for them (which is all for safety reasons), some people say crate training is cruel, but I think you and me and hopefully John too think it’s one of the best things for them(that’s where Rusty sleeps at night), and it’s beside my bed.

OMG, poor Petey!

The digestion issues were from the metacam(that’s the other name for that) and the same happened to Rusty.
Every time the vet says anti inflammatory and try to give metacam, I say ‘no thanks we have some at home’ then come home and give him CBD oil with no side effects with better pain management.

That metacam causes joint disease and kidney damage(my 2 goldens have kidney disease) so anything they try to give him, I look up any potential side effects. No vet will tell you the side effects and then just treats the symptoms and then they have 3 or more symptoms to treat☹️

That is so scary, poor Petey!

What do you give him now when he has an episode?
Does he still move his back legs like normal when he has an episode???

The photos of Jelly are so cute. He is very adorable! Those markings I can see, it’s cute! I love how they put the paws up on the couch like let’s cuddle, put me up on the couch please! He looks just like Rusty when he was a puppy(the black mask).
I wonder if his face will be like Rusty’s just a little darker when he is older? Rusty had a black mask when he was a puppy, not black much now.
I attached 2 photos of Rusty at 11 weeks of age(this was the day I brought him home).
It will be interesting if he ends up being less black in his face like Rusty!

Jelly is such a cute boy! I like the markings! He looks like full Frenchie to me!

1654715797496.jpeg
1654715851926.jpeg

Mavis

Reaction score
He is still smart, it’s never too late to train him😊 Rusty is 3 and I got the car seat like 2 weeks ago but I am always in the back seat next to him.
Last night my parents put him in the seat and hooked him up(usually he is on their lap upfront getting treats), and he was good other than expecting treats from them like he usually does. He is proud In the seat😊 when we go for a drive he will stay in his seat for 90% of the ride then he will try and get out and I will ask him to sit before I unhook him and let him curl up on my lap.
It’s so frustrating when someone says ‘no that’s cruel’ to having a collar or having a seat for them (which is all for safety reasons), some people say crate training is cruel, but I think you and me and hopefully John too think it’s one of the best things for them(that’s where Rusty sleeps at night), and it’s beside my bed.

OMG, poor Petey!

The digestion issues were from the metacam(that’s the other name for that) and the same happened to Rusty.
Every time the vet says anti inflammatory and try to give metacam, I say ‘no thanks we have some at home’ then come home and give him CBD oil with no side effects with better pain management.

That metacam causes joint disease and kidney damage(my 2 goldens have kidney disease) so anything they try to give him, I look up any potential side effects. No vet will tell you the side effects and then just treats the symptoms and then they have 3 or more symptoms to treat☹️

That is so scary, poor Petey!

What do you give him now when he has an episode?
Does he still move his back legs like normal when he has an episode???

The photos of Jelly are so cute. He is very adorable! Those markings I can see, it’s cute! I love how they put the paws up on the couch like let’s cuddle, put me up on the couch please! He looks just like Rusty when he was a puppy(the black mask).
I wonder if his face will be like Rusty’s just a little darker when he is older? Rusty had a black mask when he was a puppy, not black much now.
I attached 2 photos of Rusty at 11 weeks of age(this was the day I brought him home).
It will be interesting if he ends up being less black in his face like Rusty!

Jelly is such a cute boy! I like the markings! He looks like full Frenchie to me!

View attachment 15906
View attachment 15907
Rusty is adorable!!! And such a good boi!!! I can't believe how his mask faded - he is a beautiful frenchie. I don't think Jelly's mask will fade. His father had the very same markings.

Petey has full range of motion during a back episode, but he is obviously in pain and subdued. He has trouble finding a comfortable position to say. The worst is that he just screams, which breaks our hearts! I don't know if some of it is fear or if it is all pain. I think both. I will not give any of our dogs meloxicam. If we are ever at the vet for something that requires that type of medication, I tell them not to give or prescribe that. We give Petey gabapentin and rimadyl when he has an episode. It usually clears in 12-24 hours. We have both noticed that Petey's back seems to be getting better since he has been exercising more with Jelly. They race around the yard and he rarely has an episode now.

Thank goodness John doesn't fight me about the crate. He realizes how valuable it is if/when you have a sick dog - like when Petey flares. I appealed to him with that argument. The best place for Petey when he has a back issue is his crate. It's the only place we can keep him still so he can rest, especially now with Jelly wanting to play all the time. I meant to ask you - do you keep Rusty's collar on all day? Do you take it off at night? I don't think there's any way John will agree to that. It's hard when you're not on the same page.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Rusty is adorable!!! And such a good boi!!! I can't believe how his mask faded - he is a beautiful frenchie. I don't think Jelly's mask will fade. His father had the very same markings.

Petey has full range of motion during a back episode, but he is obviously in pain and subdued. He has trouble finding a comfortable position to say. The worst is that he just screams, which breaks our hearts! I don't know if some of it is fear or if it is all pain. I think both. I will not give any of our dogs meloxicam. If we are ever at the vet for something that requires that type of medication, I tell them not to give or prescribe that. We give Petey gabapentin and rimadyl when he has an episode. It usually clears in 12-24 hours. We have both noticed that Petey's back seems to be getting better since he has been exercising more with Jelly. They race around the yard and he rarely has an episode now.

Thank goodness John doesn't fight me about the crate. He realizes how valuable it is if/when you have a sick dog - like when Petey flares. I appealed to him with that argument. The best place for Petey when he has a back issue is his crate. It's the only place we can keep him still so he can rest, especially now with Jelly wanting to play all the time. I meant to ask you - do you keep Rusty's collar on all day? Do you take it off at night? I don't think there's any way John will agree to that. It's hard when you're not on the same page.

Yes I can’t believe how his his mask faded, but looks similar to Jelly’s mask except Jelly is darker in colour.

Poor Petey, that’s the worst when the scream in pain☹️
So he can use his back legs when he has an episode???
At least you have the stuff at home.

That’s awesome that having jelly, it’s strengthening Petey’s back!

When Rusty had crystals in his urine over a year ago(this was before I changed him to this good diet) and he was in pain and they said give him the metacam, I declined and just gave natural anti inflammatory and he was no longer in pain. When he had his airway surgery, they worry about swelling, pain and inflammation. They already gave him a shot of metacam at the clinic, I was not happy about that and sure enough, Rusty had the side effects for 3-4 days with only the shot they gave of it. I threw the metacam they sent him home with away, I just gave natural anti inflammatory and he was good, and no side effect.

I do usually keep Rusty’s collar on him during the day because it has his name tag with the phone numbers for safety reasons, but lately I haven’t been putting it on him because when his skin flares, it’s easier to see but I plan to start having his collar back on in a couple days, just waiting for his skin to heal, still going thru a flare up due to the pollen☹️

When I do have his collar on him, I always take it off before bed just to give him a break from wearing it.
If we go for a walk I put his harness on him and also his collar but I walk him always on harness, even on the days he doesn’t have the collar on all day, I put the collar on him for a walk for safety reasons.

As long as the collar isn’t tight there should be any reason John should say no, and if there is a name tag for safety reasons, what if you walk him on a harness?? Do you?? If you walk him on a harness maybe put his collar on when you go for a walk or are outside in the yard, then it’s not on all day, and maybe John will warm up to it😊

Mavis

Reaction score
Yes I can’t believe how his his mask faded, but looks similar to Jelly’s mask except Jelly is darker in colour.

Poor Petey, that’s the worst when the scream in pain☹️
So he can use his back legs when he has an episode???
At least you have the stuff at home.

That’s awesome that having jelly, it’s strengthening Petey’s back!

When Rusty had crystals in his urine over a year ago(this was before I changed him to this good diet) and he was in pain and they said give him the metacam, I declined and just gave natural anti inflammatory and he was no longer in pain. When he had his airway surgery, they worry about swelling, pain and inflammation. They already gave him a shot of metacam at the clinic, I was not happy about that and sure enough, Rusty had the side effects for 3-4 days with only the shot they gave of it. I threw the metacam they sent him home with away, I just gave natural anti inflammatory and he was good, and no side effect.

I do usually keep Rusty’s collar on him during the day because it has his name tag with the phone numbers for safety reasons, but lately I haven’t been putting it on him because when his skin flares, it’s easier to see but I plan to start having his collar back on in a couple days, just waiting for his skin to heal, still going thru a flare up due to the pollen☹️

When I do have his collar on him, I always take it off before bed just to give him a break from wearing it.
If we go for a walk I put his harness on him and also his collar but I walk him always on harness, even on the days he doesn’t have the collar on all day, I put the collar on him for a walk for safety reasons.

As long as the collar isn’t tight there should be any reason John should say no, and if there is a name tag for safety reasons, what if you walk him on a harness?? Do you?? If you walk him on a harness maybe put his collar on when you go for a walk or are outside in the yard, then it’s not on all day, and maybe John will warm up to it😊
Petey's back legs are fine when he is flaring. I think his back just hurts when he has an episode and it can be difficult for him to find a comfortable position.

We had Jelly microchipped after we got him. At least it's something, but I would feel better if he wore a collar (it has a tag with our phone number), also. We do not walk Jelly - John doesn't want to walk him because he is afraid he is going to get stolen.

I will never give any of our dogs metacam - ever. When Petey got sick, they said nausea/upset stomach can be a side effect. I think it happens more than it doesn't.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Petey's back legs are fine when he is flaring. I think his back just hurts when he has an episode and it can be difficult for him to find a comfortable position.

We had Jelly microchipped after we got him. At least it's something, but I would feel better if he wore a collar (it has a tag with our phone number), also. We do not walk Jelly - John doesn't want to walk him because he is afraid he is going to get stolen.

I will never give any of our dogs metacam - ever. When Petey got sick, they said nausea/upset stomach can be a side effect. I think it happens more than it doesn't.

That’s good he can use his back legs during an episode. I always think they lose feeling in the back legs most of the time with IVDD. Poor Petey!

Rusty is microchipped too which is good, at least Jelly has something in him like Rusty for safety.
I need to get back into the habit of putting his collar on him daily, since it has the tag on it.

Is there lots of dogs being stolen in your area for John to think Jelly would be stolen on a walk?? I always have my dogs on a secure leash and harness. Never off leash.

Rusty comes with me everywhere 90% of the time, I always have him on leash though! He comes to the pet store, he comes shopping in the garden centre, some outdoor mall, but I always have him at my side at all times!

Rusty is very unsure of kids because when he was young he had 3-4 different kids chase him and throw a toy at him when he was a puppy, and he is unsure of most other dogs and people so when someone comes close I pick him up. If someone wants to pet him in public or a kid, I say he is very unsure and please no coming close or he will get scared and bark loud.
He is nervous around new people and other dogs so no one comes close, I keep him away😊
I was considering at one point(and still am) about getting him a tracker to go on his collar. I have a Apple air tag but haven’t put it on him as I need a holder and I worry about it not being waterproof and accurate.

I’m sure the metacam causes side effects more than it doesn’t too.
if they give metacam with all the side effects then that’s means more $$ to treat the other symptoms of the side effects for the vet☹️
Same if you feed vet food(garbage) then you will be back for more health issues due to the food, more $$$$ for the vet and not good health for the dog eating it☹️

Rusty is not happy it’s raining SO hard here! Apparently we are supposed to get more Atmospheric Rivers again in the next couple days! Everything flooded last time, and the hyway got washed away.
We haven’t even had spring weather yet!
Rusty looks at me like “ you want to to go pee in this rain”??

He is curled up on the couch with me now cause he is cold from outside.
He looks long in the bottom pic I took yesterday, he was all stretched out, kind of looks like Jelly in length in that photo! Thats why I think Jelly is full Frenchie cause some are long, Rusty isn’t long but he can be when he stretched😊
1654811826214.jpeg

1654811866260.jpeg

Mavis

Reaction score
That’s good he can use his back legs during an episode. I always think they lose feeling in the back legs most of the time with IVDD. Poor Petey!

Rusty is microchipped too which is good, at least Jelly has something in him like Rusty for safety.
I need to get back into the habit of putting his collar on him daily, since it has the tag on it.

Is there lots of dogs being stolen in your area for John to think Jelly would be stolen on a walk?? I always have my dogs on a secure leash and harness. Never off leash.

Rusty comes with me everywhere 90% of the time, I always have him on leash though! He comes to the pet store, he comes shopping in the garden centre, some outdoor mall, but I always have him at my side at all times!

Rusty is very unsure of kids because when he was young he had 3-4 different kids chase him and throw a toy at him when he was a puppy, and he is unsure of most other dogs and people so when someone comes close I pick him up. If someone wants to pet him in public or a kid, I say he is very unsure and please no coming close or he will get scared and bark loud.
He is nervous around new people and other dogs so no one comes close, I keep him away😊
I was considering at one point(and still am) about getting him a tracker to go on his collar. I have a Apple air tag but haven’t put it on him as I need a holder and I worry about it not being waterproof and accurate.

I’m sure the metacam causes side effects more than it doesn’t too.
if they give metacam with all the side effects then that’s means more $$ to treat the other symptoms of the side effects for the vet☹️
Same if you feed vet food(garbage) then you will be back for more health issues due to the food, more $$$$ for the vet and not good health for the dog eating it☹️

Rusty is not happy it’s raining SO hard here! Apparently we are supposed to get more Atmospheric Rivers again in the next couple days! Everything flooded last time, and the hyway got washed away.
We haven’t even had spring weather yet!
Rusty looks at me like “ you want to to go pee in this rain”??

He is curled up on the couch with me now cause he is cold from outside.
He looks long in the bottom pic I took yesterday, he was all stretched out, kind of looks like Jelly in length in that photo! Thats why I think Jelly is full Frenchie cause some are long, Rusty isn’t long but he can be when he stretched😊
View attachment 15908

View attachment 15909
Just love your boi!!!

A couple of weeks ago, our spring started out with very hot temperatures, and I was encouraged that it was going to be a hot and early summer (we have a pool that we inherited when we bought this house, and it takes a lot to warm up enough for me to get in it). SInce then, it's cooled down quite a bit, although still beautiful and good for working in the yard, doing projects, etc.

My husband gets spooked by all the publicity of frenchies getting stolen across the country. Petey is more nervous in the car and going out, so we don't take them anywhere. I'd love to bring Jelly out with us, however, it's not fair to Petey to leave him alone while Jelly goes out. Of course, whenever they are out, they are always in their harnesses and on leashes. I will mention to John about going to the garden center, now that everyone has their plants and it's quieter.

I'm sorry I'm always complaining about Jelly's body. I/we love him to pieces and he is the best boi, however, I've waited so long to get another frenchie. I was hoping for the classic shape and markings, but at the same time, I could see that his father was much longer than the body type I preferred. I pulled the trigger on him as I had no clue where else to get a frenchie, and we were wanting another dog after losing Bambi. He is an angel and has been the best addition to our family for us and Petey.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Just love your boi!!!

A couple of weeks ago, our spring started out with very hot temperatures, and I was encouraged that it was going to be a hot and early summer (we have a pool that we inherited when we bought this house, and it takes a lot to warm up enough for me to get in it). SInce then, it's cooled down quite a bit, although still beautiful and good for working in the yard, doing projects, etc.

My husband gets spooked by all the publicity of frenchies getting stolen across the country. Petey is more nervous in the car and going out, so we don't take them anywhere. I'd love to bring Jelly out with us, however, it's not fair to Petey to leave him alone while Jelly goes out. Of course, whenever they are out, they are always in their harnesses and on leashes. I will mention to John about going to the garden center, now that everyone has their plants and it's quieter.

I'm sorry I'm always complaining about Jelly's body. I/we love him to pieces and he is the best boi, however, I've waited so long to get another frenchie. I was hoping for the classic shape and markings, but at the same time, I could see that his father was much longer than the body type I preferred. I pulled the trigger on him as I had no clue where else to get a frenchie, and we were wanting another dog after losing Bambi. He is an angel and has been the best addition to our family for us and Petey.

Thanks!
I love him to pieces and he is a great boy!
He knows how to be funny, my dad loves it when he does the head tilt instead of a full shake his head, he knows my dad likes that and he will look at him and do the head tilt in front of him and most of the time on command.
You can’t get a better personality dog than a Frenchie!

He is quite the dog, so smart, he waited at the fridge last night for his snack before bed!

Have you heard that Frenchie Scream yet???

At least you have had some decent weather to be able to work outside! We have had only 2 days of it being no rain, haven’t really had spring weather at all, just rain.

Does Jelly and Petey get the run of the house when you and John go out??
or does John put them in their crates?

Rusty and the other 2 dogs get the run of the house, I love how Rusty greets us at the front door, all exited and happy, the other day when I came home from work he was screaming at the door and did a little howl which he never does!😊

I don’t think your complaining about Jelly’s body, when I seen Rusty stretch like that I was like ohh now you are long too right now. I took the photo to show you when he stretches, he looks longer than the average Frenchie. But definitely to me, Jelly looks like full Frenchie!
He is very lucky he ended up in your home!

Is he still scratching/itching from the Pollen??
Did the bath help?

Mavis

Reaction score
Thanks!
I love him to pieces and he is a great boy!
He knows how to be funny, my dad loves it when he does the head tilt instead of a full shake his head, he knows my dad likes that and he will look at him and do the head tilt in front of him and most of the time on command.
You can’t get a better personality dog than a Frenchie!

He is quite the dog, so smart, he waited at the fridge last night for his snack before bed!

Have you heard that Frenchie Scream yet???

At least you have had some decent weather to be able to work outside! We have had only 2 days of it being no rain, haven’t really had spring weather at all, just rain.

Does Jelly and Petey get the run of the house when you and John go out??
or does John put them in their crates?

Rusty and the other 2 dogs get the run of the house, I love how Rusty greets us at the front door, all exited and happy, the other day when I came home from work he was screaming at the door and did a little howl which he never does!😊

I don’t think your complaining about Jelly’s body, when I seen Rusty stretch like that I was like ohh now you are long too right now. I took the photo to show you when he stretches, he looks longer than the average Frenchie. But definitely to me, Jelly looks like full Frenchie!
He is very lucky he ended up in your home!

Is he still scratching/itching from the Pollen??
Did the bath help?
Rusty sounds exceptionally smart. I agree that there is nothing as sweet, boisterous or comical as a frenchie. I just love the breed, plus, they are adorable. If my parents were alive, I know they would love him and Petey.

Petey is the perfect dog and gets the run of the house when we are gone - being ten, he sleeps a lot and I'm sure that is what he does while we are gone. We keep Jelly in his kitchen crate (bedtime crates are in our bedroom). Because he is crate trained and still a puppy, I want to continue to reinforce the crate as normal. I'm not sure what I will do when he becomes an adult and better behaved.

I have heard the frenchie scream on youtube - Walter comes to mind. So funny! I put Jelly and Petey in their respective crates and then give Petey his bedtime snack first. Jelly cries so bad (I guess you could call it a scream - very high pitched and shrill)! I just ignore him because I don't want to give any attention to that. He will do it, too, after he finishes his bedtime snack. Again, I just ignore it. I don't want to reinforce separation or crate anxiety. My husband and/or I are in the bedroom with him - we never leave him alone in his crate in the bedroom. That should be a place of comfort. He will only cry for 2-3 minutes and then he is so tired, he passes out. I think he has so much fun during the day that it is hard for him to be put up for the night. He is an angel. My husband has been out of town since Tuesday morning, coming back at midnight tonight. It's been a good bonding time for Jelly to just have me. We've had a lot of lap and petting time.

He loves his bath and I definitely think it helped. He will still scratch from time to time, but not as much chewing on his leg. I can see a little dirt in his ears, so will clean them once John is back.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Rusty sounds exceptionally smart. I agree that there is nothing as sweet, boisterous or comical as a frenchie. I just love the breed, plus, they are adorable. If my parents were alive, I know they would love him and Petey.

Petey is the perfect dog and gets the run of the house when we are gone - being ten, he sleeps a lot and I'm sure that is what he does while we are gone. We keep Jelly in his kitchen crate (bedtime crates are in our bedroom). Because he is crate trained and still a puppy, I want to continue to reinforce the crate as normal. I'm not sure what I will do when he becomes an adult and better behaved.

I have heard the frenchie scream on youtube - Walter comes to mind. So funny! I put Jelly and Petey in their respective crates and then give Petey his bedtime snack first. Jelly cries so bad (I guess you could call it a scream - very high pitched and shrill)! I just ignore him because I don't want to give any attention to that. He will do it, too, after he finishes his bedtime snack. Again, I just ignore it. I don't want to reinforce separation or crate anxiety. My husband and/or I are in the bedroom with him - we never leave him alone in his crate in the bedroom. That should be a place of comfort. He will only cry for 2-3 minutes and then he is so tired, he passes out. I think he has so much fun during the day that it is hard for him to be put up for the night. He is an angel. My husband has been out of town since Tuesday morning, coming back at midnight tonight. It's been a good bonding time for Jelly to just have me. We've had a lot of lap and petting time.

He loves his bath and I definitely think it helped. He will still scratch from time to time, but not as much chewing on his leg. I can see a little dirt in his ears, so will clean them once John is back.

That’s a good idea to continue crating him until he is fully trained and older.
I did the same for Rusty and then when he got better, and I think he was around 1 yr old when I started leaving him out with our other dogs cause he would just sleep with them, but I did it very slow, 15 minutes then slowly increased the time he is left out when we aren’t home.

They sure can be loud, especially if they want something! For such small dogs they can scream so loud!

Jelly is probably crying lots cause he is excited with his great healthy food!😊

That’s good he sleeps in his crate at bedtime too, Rusty loves his crate, every night he goes in there to his cozy crate which is right beside my bed!

That’s awesome, I’m sure Jelly enjoyed his bonding/cuddle time with you, maybe he will be more close/attached with you than John now because you have spent more time with him lately with him being away from home!

That’s great the bath helped with the itchy skin, gives relief from environmental allergies😊
He must be going thru a environmental allergy flare if his ears are dirty when they improved on the new food, pollen is very bad now.
Rusty actually has 5 new bumps/hives on his head just from pollen landing on his head from going outside for 30 seconds.
He gets another bath in the next 1-2 days to prevent a skin infection from the bumps☹️

Mavis

Reaction score
That’s a good idea to continue crating him until he is fully trained and older.
I did the same for Rusty and then when he got better, and I think he was around 1 yr old when I started leaving him out with our other dogs cause he would just sleep with them, but I did it very slow, 15 minutes then slowly increased the time he is left out when we aren’t home.

They sure can be loud, especially if they want something! For such small dogs they can scream so loud!

Jelly is probably crying lots cause he is excited with his great healthy food!😊

That’s good he sleeps in his crate at bedtime too, Rusty loves his crate, every night he goes in there to his cozy crate which is right beside my bed!

That’s awesome, I’m sure Jelly enjoyed his bonding/cuddle time with you, maybe he will be more close/attached with you than John now because you have spent more time with him lately with him being away from home!

That’s great the bath helped with the itchy skin, gives relief from environmental allergies😊
He must be going thru a environmental allergy flare if his ears are dirty when they improved on the new food, pollen is very bad now.
Rusty actually has 5 new bumps/hives on his head just from pollen landing on his head from going outside for 30 seconds.
He gets another bath in the next 1-2 days to prevent a skin infection from the bumps☹️
Jelly is a food hound! He could eat three times what he does with no problem.

I hope Rusty's condition improves with his bath. Sounds like you know what to do.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Jelly is a food hound! He could eat three times what he does with no problem.

I hope Rusty's condition improves with his bath. Sounds like you know what to do.

I’m sure Jelly would! I know Rusty would too😊

Thank you!!!

A few bumps is much better than what his skin used to be, before these bathing and topical treatments and immunotherapy.

Environmental allergies are so bad at this time of year for the dogs.

Keep me updated on handsome Jelly!

Mavis

Reaction score
Jelly is five months old today (6/20/22). We haven't weighed him in two weeks, but I'd say he's at least 14 lbs. Still just so-so about going out, unless he wants to play, and sometimes peeing and pooping in the house if unattended. He is a sweetie, though. I think his big boi teef are starting to come in, although his chewing (on toys) has lessened.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
Jelly is five months old today (6/20/22). We haven't weighed him in two weeks, but I'd say he's at least 14 lbs. Still just so-so about going out, unless he wants to play, and sometimes peeing and pooping in the house if unattended. He is a sweetie, though. I think his big boi teef are starting to come in, although his chewing (on toys) has lessened.

I can’t believe he is already 5 months! Time flies!

Sounds like he is gonna be small like Rusty(not much bigger) cause That’s what Rusty weighed at that age.

He probably knows that he can get away with more with John than he can with you, which can be part of why he is continuing to sometimes pee in the house☹️.

At that age, they will start getting their adult Teeth in, I’m sure he is getting his in even if he is chewing less.

Any recent photos of handsome Jelly??

How is his itching from the pollen??
Still less itching after bath??

Is he still in RR and Orijen kibble for snacks?? He is still enjoying it?

Mavis

Reaction score
I can’t believe he is already 5 months! Time flies!

Sounds like he is gonna be small like Rusty(not much bigger) cause That’s what Rusty weighed at that age.

He probably knows that he can get away with more with John than he can with you, which can be part of why he is continuing to sometimes pee in the house☹️.

At that age, they will start getting their adult Teeth in, I’m sure he is getting his in even if he is chewing less.

Any recent photos of handsome Jelly??

How is his itching from the pollen??
Still less itching after bath??

Is he still in RR and Orijen kibble for snacks?? He is still enjoying it?
You've got a lot on your plate. Will respond another time. Best with Rusty! I hope you get a diagnosis you trust.

Rusty’s Owner

Reaction score
You've got a lot on your plate. Will respond another time. Best with Rusty! I hope you get a diagnosis you trust.

Ok but please keep me posted on Jelly😊

Thanks for the response and for the good wishes for Rusty. I appreciate it!