How much is too much cuddling?

PrinceCharliesMa

Reaction score
Okay, so some back story to what might be a silly question, but I have an 8 week old frenchie pup named Charlie who is obsessed with me, and I only got him yesterday. Last night he wouldn't fall asleep unless it was in my lap. I'm very slightly allergic to dogs, so I refuse to let him sleep on my bed. Plus I don't want to start down that road of entitled behavior. Last night getting him to sleep was a challenge. I woke up a lot to his whining, would get down on the floor until he fell asleep, try to coax him in to his bed and then pray that he fell asleep. One trick that worked was to take off the shirt I was sleeping in and put it in his bed, that knocked him out right away. I wasn't planning on making him sleep in the kennel, seeing as that's in the other room and I don't want him spending all of his time in there. (I work during the day now and my roommate is a school teacher on summer vacation).

So in a nutshell, if I want to cuddle and pet my puppy on my lap, will it make getting him to sleep in his bed more difficult? His whining rips my heart out, and I'm doing my best to ignore it. However if there's anything I should be doing that would get it to stop sooner, I would love to know.

Thanks! :confused::blush3:

MamaAndi

Reaction score
I am a firm believer in kennel training. Not only for you but for pups benefit too. When he is older he might need a place to go that is his and his only and a kennel would be perfect. But yes, it is a hard road to get a puppy kennel trained in most cases. The whining and crying will about kill your heart and nerves.

Everybody has their own way and there is nothing wrong with that. I am just thinking down the road, what if your pup feels like he needs to sit in your lap every night to go to sleep. In theory it sounds good but he might need a little push toward independence so he doesn't depend on you for everything. But...like I said, everybody has their own way and some things work better for some than others.

Good luck either way :)

PrinceCharliesMa

Reaction score
Yeah getting anther puppy is definitely not an option lol. He slept in the bed last night with his leash on and tethered to my bed. Tonight I plan on putting his bed in his kennel and placing that next to my bed. Do you recommend tapping the kennel and giving a stern command when he whines?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah getting anther puppy is definitely not an option lol. He slept in the bed last night with his leash on and tethered to my bed. Tonight I plan on putting his bed in his kennel and placing that next to my bed. Do you recommend tapping the kennel and giving a stern command when he whines?

IMO... best thing to do is ignore. Any repsonse to his whining will tell him to continue. Use a shirt with your scent if it worked

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Crate training is a good thing to do. One way to let him feel more comfortable at first is put his crate next to your bed and you can hand one arm off the bed and let him touch your hand until he falls asleep. In a few days he will get used to it. Then as time goes by you can move it further away from the bed.

Sherry

Reaction score

Personally I like putting a freshly worn old shirt in their crate, the scent of you reassures them you aren't far away and helps them to stay asleep

PrinceCharliesMa

Reaction score
I take him out at night to eliminate when he whines which is about every two hours, except for the magic hours between 11 and 3, when he some how sleeps that whole time. He pretty much goes right away, and when we come back inside I just put him straight back in his kennel. Last night I found out putting my hand down by his bed works almost instantly.

Right now my biggest struggle has been getting in to a routine of my own. I feel like I need to keep my eyes on him at all times, which makes it difficult for me to eat, shower, get ready, etc. Did anybody else have this problem?

Chester

Reaction score
Of course, we all have this problem. Little ones goes to pee every two hours, no matter what you are doing.
Before you eat, shower or get ready make sure you take him out lol.
They need few weeks more to be perfect dogs. Do not worry but time is very important.

Debra

Reaction score
Crate training! If everyone would crate train there dogs, a lot of problems would be avoided .
I am glad to hear he is coming along :)